BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-13-2021, 10:03 PM   #1
S_McTowelie
Private
Rep
Drives: \

No More Hitches?!?

Has anyone heard about the trailer hitch option getting removed? I'm about to order an X5 M50i and the sales person just emailed me and said that everything X3 and above is getting the option removed due to supply issues. Say it ain't so…
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 04:26 PM   #2
S_McTowelie
Private
Rep
Drives: \

Production question. It looks like I have a VIN assigned in My BMW Garage and it says the car is in "Production Begins" status. Looking through the options listed, I can confirm it matches my order. BUT, when looking at the BMW website configurator it appears the trailer hitch isn't an option anymore. Given where the car sits currently in production, is there still a high probability my build will get adjusted? Or is VIN assignment a good indicator the build is locked?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 04:32 PM   #3
goobies818
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_McTowelie View Post
Production question. It looks like I have a VIN assigned in My BMW Garage and it says the car is in "Production Begins" status. Looking through the options listed, I can confirm it matches my order. BUT, when looking at the BMW website configurator it appears the trailer hitch isn't an option anymore. Given where the car sits currently in production, is there still a high probability my build will get adjusted? Or is VIN assignment a good indicator the build is locked?
does it show the trailer hitch on the features/buildout of your car on the website? I didn't order a trailer hitch on mine...but things like Alcantara headliner and extended shadowline are options that are not part of a bigger package (eg: Executive, Parking, Dynamic Handling...etc)

if it's there...i'd say youre in the clear
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 06:47 PM   #4
Fahrfun
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 M50i

Quote:
Looking through the options listed, I can confirm it matches my order. BUT, when looking at the BMW website configurator it appears the trailer hitch isn't an option anymore.
Shocking and sad
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 06:52 PM   #5
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

If it shows on your build sheet once production begins, that generally means that all of the parts for your order have been allocated and should arrive to be incorporated into your vehicle. If there's a supply issue, the build sheet (should have been) would not show it on the vehicle as I understand things.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 07:03 PM   #6
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 G05 40i M Sport

I assume this is the factory option, but that doesn't mean the dealer or aftermarket approach is going away, and BMW know this.

So I am guessing they are trying to simplify and consolidate their options.

Here's the dealer installed version I am getting, with BMW OEM controller/harness and coding.
Attached Images

Last edited by James_G0540i; 10-21-2021 at 07:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 07:18 PM   #7
3Wagon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 325iT

Quote:
Production question. It looks like I have a VIN assigned in My BMW Garage and it says the car is in "Production Begins" status. Looking through the options listed, I can confirm it matches my order.
My m50i JUST went into production begins status yesterday and has the tow hitch.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 07:43 PM   #8
Axxlrod
Dude man
Rep
Drives: X5/X7/Acura NSX

Parts shortages, namely chips for the electronic part of the hitch control.

Strangely, I also have a Ford Bronco on order, and the tow pkg is also one of the packages that is in short supply.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 07:51 PM   #9
goobies818
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
Parts shortages, namely chips for the electronic part of the hitch control.

Strangely, I also have a Ford Bronco on order, and the tow pkg is also one of the packages that is in short supply.
yeah...the OEM supplier for the trailer hitch could be one in the same for both brands (just a guess) and the supply chain issues can probably make production very unpredictable. Better not offer it at all than having customers expect it on delivery and piss them off when it's not equipped.

My wife works in logistics for her company and it's been an utter nightmare for her finding out where her containers are (off the coast of Los Angeles in most cases) and opting to find space on cargo flights for hypercritical items where inventory falls to near shutdown levels and they want to keep the production wheels turning to keep meeting demand
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 07:57 PM   #10
X5Salty
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 21X5

Quote:
Has anyone heard about the trailer hitch option getting removed? I'm about to order an X5 M50i and the sales person just emailed me and said that everything X3 and above is getting the option removed due to supply issues. Say it ain't so…
That's bad news. The 3.5 ton US style receiver hitch was introduced to Australian spec cars only recently to win sales from Landcruisers and GLEs. Towing large trailers and caravans is only getting more popular.

This was the primary reason for me switching back to BMW after years of Mercs. Glad to have had mine built & delivered. Hope yours comes through as you spec'd.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 08:33 PM   #11
GS2019
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

trailer hitch option was there yesterday morning - looks like it's removed now.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 12:16 AM   #12
mlurker
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 X5 45e

I've just installed stealth hitch to use with my bike rack. It's nice that it's hidden and the trunk door operates with a foot (if you order tow option from BMW - this is not working).
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 12:34 AM   #13
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

I had the predessor of the STealth hitch on my last vehicle, and it worked well but, because it comes out below the bumper, rather than IN the bumper, depending on what you're trying to carry, I had it hit on occasion if there was say a drainage channel going into a sloped driveway at the roadside. Until you get familiar with it, you may need to lay on the ground to remove and or replace the receiver or ball assembly in the socket, then lock or unlock the keyed latch (the spring loaded one can be awkward to unlatch, too, as the spring tension is significant). Cutting the under cover means that water, slush, and sand, crud can get in behind the bumper cover over time. On the older version, that could lead to corrosion on the parts...the newer one is supposed to be better at this, don't know, don't have one.

If you ever do want to tow something, while you can get an interface to make the lights work, there's a lot more that the oem towing package provides like new camera views, stability logic, trailer light monitoring, bigger brakes, and (I think) more robust cooling. Mostly irrelevant if you're not going to tow something. Retrofitting the OEM electronics can get expensive, and the Stealth hitch by itself is more expensive than the OEM package if you can get it, at least when you're talking about the receiver and not the automated gooseneck version sold elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 02:10 AM   #14
Fahrfun
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
…there's a lot more that the oem towing package provides like new camera views, stability logic, trailer light monitoring… Retrofitting the OEM electronics can get expensive, and the Stealth hitch by itself is more expensive than the OEM package if you can get it
Exactly. Plus the reciprocal blame game if any rear end electronics get messed up after third party install.

But that won’t matter if the magnesium supply cut off comes to manifest… there won’t be new cars at all for a while LoL
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 11:45 AM   #15
scmaverick
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i

I got confirmation today from my dealer that the trailer hitch option was removed from their ordering system too.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 11:48 AM   #16
TFresh47
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6 m50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlurker View Post
I've just installed stealth hitch to use with my bike rack. It's nice that it's hidden and the trunk door operates with a foot (if you order tow option from BMW - this is not working).
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlurker View Post

Could you tell me where you bout the Stealth Hitch from?

How much to install?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 12:17 PM   #17
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFresh47 View Post
Could you tell me where you bout the Stealth Hitch from? How much to install?
https://stealthhitches.com

install prices vary. can do an installer search on the site and also peruse this thread:
Stealth Hitch https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1580904
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 02:27 PM   #18
dananelson1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 X5 45e, 13 X5xdrive50i SOLD

Me and several others are in this exact boat too and I "think" we are Ok. But, it does make me nervous! The other day, I attempted to ADD another option and my SA said, NO Changes can be made once Production status starts and VIN is locked. This would imply all parts are already qued up for the car. I just went into my garage multiple times to ensure it was showing still....

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 02:32 PM   #19
goobies818
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dananelson1 View Post
Me and several others are in this exact boat too and I "think" we are Ok. But, it does make me nervous! The other day, I attempted to ADD another option and my SA said, NO Changes can be made once Production status starts and VIN is locked. This would imply all parts are already qued up for the car. I just went into my garage multiple times to ensure it was showing still....
That would be a correct assumption is my guess. Once the status flips to "Production begins" (seq 150) then it pretty much means everything should be queued up to begin assembly....I'm surmising it means things like Purchase Orders have been sent and confirmed to all the various OEM part suppliers so everything on your build is now confirmed and should be ready to go once your baby makes its way to the line.

My guess is the part supplier for the hitch assembly prob told BMW Manuf "hey guys...umm...so our latest shipment of hitches is still stuck on a container ship off the coast of Charleston and we're kinda effed right now"
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 03:06 PM   #20
3Wagon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 325iT

If you want to have fun, go play with the options on other country sites and you can see what you’re missing. If you go to Australia, for example, they get almost all options curently for a m50i, including air suspension, B&W, soft close, heated/cooled cup holders, full merino, anti dazzle exterior mirrors (I didn’t know this existed!), rear seat infotainment, display key, acoustic glass, luggage package, m seat belts, ambient air, night vision, M carbon mirror caps, Qi charger.

The list is pretty complete - almost every option. No 20” tires though, and you CAN get a tow hitch as of this morning.

This has to be due to market size. BMW can get parts, just not in quantity. If you live in a smaller market, congrats, you are likely to get a much more kitted out BMW for a few years. ugh.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 03:54 PM   #21
goobies818
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Wagon View Post
If you want to have fun, go play with the options on other country sites and you can see what you’re missing. If you go to Australia, for example, they get almost all options curently for a m50i, including air suspension, B&W, soft close, heated/cooled cup holders, full merino, anti dazzle exterior mirrors (I didn’t know this existed!), rear seat infotainment, display key, acoustic glass, luggage package, m seat belts, ambient air, night vision, M carbon mirror caps, Qi charger.

The list is pretty complete - almost every option. No 20” tires though, and you CAN get a tow hitch as of this morning.

This has to be due to market size. BMW can get parts, just not in quantity. If you live in a smaller market, congrats, you are likely to get a much more kitted out BMW for a few years. ugh.
i prob might take a peek but i think i'd be filled with rage...moreso not at the additional cost options but the standard features that were nix'd stateside vs what's still included overseas. I just wonder what the relative cost is all things considered
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 04:36 PM   #22
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

FWIW, factory cost isn't a big part of it. It's availability, and that plays into how big the market is along with the 'take' rate for that option or feature. Imagine what it would be like if the option was a randomly available item so one customer gets it, and the next is denied...really messy for customer satisfaction. Much easier to just decide not to offer it, and then, not get people bummed out if they order it, then find out it needs to be nixed.

If the situation resolves itself, people may be happy to get something they didn't expect, but it's quite the opposite if you order it then find out you can't get it later.
Appreciate 0