BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-16-2021, 02:27 PM   #1
91Eunos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Cool cars

How long after ‘purchase’ until the order can be tracked?

Hi all, new to this board… Finally (re)joined the Bring More Wallet gang after several years of owning other brands. Still have my track toy and likely to grab an RS-6 for my ‘work’ car at the end on MY22 (I want the absolute latest build I get get of the last of the V8 cars, but also don’t want to wait too long).

I drove an older 5-series wagon when we lived in Germany, and my wife had a manual transmission 528 wagon when we were stationed in Northern CA too:

Her diesel Jeep Grand Cherokee is approaching 100K miles so we’ve been ramping up our search for a replacement over the past few months. We went back and forth between the usual suspect, Audi Q7 and Q8, Range Rover, maybe another Land Rover (just NO!), Mercs, etc… Hell even briefly entertained the thought of a Bently Bentayga.

I originally wanted an M50, because V8 (!), but after we talked about it realized the 45e was the perfect fit for her…under 20 miles commute for her daily routine, with enough range for occasional weekend road trips and adequate ‘off road’ capability for a couple ski trips in the winter.

Here’s our build: https://www.bmwusa.com/build-your-ow...g09ukq/summary

Still debating whether we want to add the driver assistance package (the only option we didn’t select other than running boards), and I still go back and forth on blue vs red calipers for the M brakes.

We really, really wanted the extended leather (lower part of center console and dash, etc.) as well as the fine line wood grain trim:

…and actually prefer the coffee and black leather combo with the contrasting tan stitching:

… but BMW Individual is only offering exterior paint options for the X5 right now, and even those are limited to just what you see on the visualizer. Too bad… I did quite a few options through the Porsche Exclusive program on my track car, and was hoping to build something truly Individual on this one for my wife too.

Regardless, we’re pretty excited for this vehicle, but like many others here, really need to take delivery before the end of the year to get the $7500 tax credit. We’ll almost certainly want it again next year, but there’s no guarantee the law won’t change, and the deduction will drop at some point, maybe as early as next year if BMW continues to sell these at the pace they’re going. Plus I don’t want to wait another year …especially if it’s just because of a few days or maybe weeks delay.

It’s now been two weeks since putting down a deposit and placing the order, but the last I heard from our salesman yesterday was something along the lines of “We haven’t heard back from BMW” …which tells me they don’t even have an allocation for us yet. We were led to believe that by going this route (standard color,options, etc.) the build and delivery process would be as short as 5 weeks.

Going to try to get a straight answer today, but I’m not one to play games with finances or any purchases really…make a fair deal, stick to the deal.

What experiences have y’all had in this regard? Is the dealer playing games?

Or should I just trust the process? Hell, we even have a name picked out for our Metallic Pea …errrr…. Manhattan Green ride! LOL

…so we’re definitely committed to this vehicle!

Thanks in advance for any advice, tips, etc.

Last edited by 91Eunos; 10-16-2021 at 02:34 PM..
Appreciate 1
cdavis93140.50
      10-16-2021, 03:20 PM   #2
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Definitely get the Driving Assistance Professional Package. In addition to the driving assistance functions you get additional safety features.

Sounds like you dealer doesn't have an allocation and they are waiting to either trade with another dealer or for the next round to come out from BMW. I have seen where all 45e allocations have been given out for this year but do not know if that is really the case or not.
91Eunos105.00
      10-16-2021, 03:23 PM   #3
thorHAM
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '19 M4 ZCP BSM

Like you said it's probably the allocation.

I placed an order recently for an X5. I sent the rep a build code, he gave me a price on it (I'm leasing). Next day I decided to go for it, and the same day he put in the order and I was able to start tracking. He definitely had an allocation for October.

I think my experience is unusual to others, he barely got any other info from me, didn't take a deposit even. Production started a few days after I submitted my order on 9/28. Same day it was on the BMW website, but no VIN, I just had the production number. On 10/1, production had started and had the VIN. And it is arriving to the dealer on Monday (10/18). But again, mine was unusually quick, probably since it was a basic build. mSport x40i with executive, climate comfort, and the driving assistance (I live in NYC) plus some cosmetic stuff like shadowline and calipers. No luxury seating or merino leather which probably sped up my build.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2021, 07:26 PM   #4
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorHAM View Post

I think my experience is unusual to others ... Production started a few days after I submitted my order on 9/28.
Likely not that unusual - if the dealer had an allocation that was just about to flip from 112 to 150, and then updated it with your config, it'd go pretty fast ... though to your point, it's very possible that your allocation got further bumped up if someone else was bumped out, especially given the HK / B&W challenges. There's definitely instances of people's builds flipping out of 150, they delete the HK or B&W and then it flips back to 150 and is built right away.

I have merino and all kinds of individual stuff and mine still built on time faster than I expected!

It's amazing how fast BMW runs a car from bare metal to quality check ... I'd love to tour the plant when they restart that ...
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2021, 10:23 PM   #5
91Eunos
Private First Class
Rep

Heard back from our salesman…. They do NOT have an allocation for our car yet. Not pleased, but will be patient for another week.

He’s telling me we should have it by next week, and that he’ll update us on Monday.

I’m guessing November build?

Any insiders know what build weeks drop next week?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 05:33 AM   #6
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

As a general rule, you should get a production # as soon as you receive the final build sheet (it will be on the sheet). If not, the dealer does not have a current allocation.

Once they have an allocation, they should be able to give you the build week and an ETA for arrival.
Appreciate 1
91Eunos105.00
      10-17-2021, 08:03 PM   #7
91Eunos
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 09:04 PM   #8
dananelson1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 X5 45e, 13 X5xdrive50i SOLD

Welcome Back! Unfortunately it sounds like it could be challenging for you to take delivery before year end. The holidays will start to slow things down I'm told. I'd push to see if you can get an allocation for as early as possible; this is something I (and many here) shopped among many dealers as a condition of signing with a specific dealer (like the first question - what week allocations do you have open right now?). Hopefully, your dealer get's you locked in ASAP. I have my build starting this week - exciting! Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Eunos View Post
Thanks!
Appreciate 1
91Eunos105.00
      10-18-2021, 07:11 AM   #9
91Eunos
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dananelson1 View Post
Welcome Back! Unfortunately it sounds like it could be challenging for you to take delivery before year end. The holidays will start to slow things down I'm told. I'd push to see if you can get an allocation for as early as possible; this is something I (and many here) shopped among many dealers as a condition of signing with a specific dealer (like the first question - what week allocations do you have open right now?). Hopefully, your dealer get's you locked in ASAP. I have my build starting this week - exciting! Good luck!
Will do…good advice
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 01:12 AM   #10
cdavis93
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Congratulations. The woody interior looks awesome!
Appreciate 1
91Eunos105.00
      10-22-2021, 07:21 AM   #11
91Eunos
Private First Class
Rep

Hadn’t heard anything from our dealer yet, so I reached out again last night. Was told we still don’t have an allocation, but we would definitely have it by next week. Here’s where it gets weird.

When I asked if it would still be a November build based on those dropping this week, he replied that it would still be an October allocation.

How?

After sleeping on it, now I’m wondering if he thinks I meant build date and they already have the allocation locked (if I’m even using the right expression). I’ll search, but does anyone here know the official progress status terminology for BMW?

Would like to ask the right questions when I reach out again.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 10:31 AM   #12
calbears
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 CS,2017 F87 LBB M2

Garage List
2011 M3  [10.00]
2017 M2  [10.00]
2018 M3 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Heard back from our salesman…. They do NOT have an allocation for our car yet. Not pleased, but will be patient for another week.

He’s telling me we should have it by next week, and that he’ll update us on Monday.

I’m guessing November build?

Any insiders know what build weeks drop next week?
Next round is for December builds. "Should" release sometime next week, but nothing is guaranteed these days
Past: E90 328i, F10 535i, F80 M3 (murdered)
Appreciate 1
91Eunos105.00
      10-22-2021, 11:07 AM   #13
YuicyYumboYack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: the speed limit

Definitely get DAPP, fully worth it.

Given your build, I'm assuming you already know this, but fine line wood trim isn't currently available. We also went with Brown Metallic and really happy with it.

45e is a great car. Hopefully you can order soon!
Appreciate 1
91Eunos105.00
      10-22-2021, 02:44 PM   #14
91Eunos
Private First Class
Rep

Just off the phone with the salesman and not happy at all. Not even sure if they have an allocation next week (December builds). Complete bait and switch, we were expressly told we’d “…have our allocation by next week” when we went in to purchase.

Have been getting the run around for a month now. If they don’t have the allocation…fine… but don’t bullshit me. I respect someone who deals honestly and reward that with loyalty (to a fault my friends and family would say). I guess this dealer’s not interested in repeat customers.

Or even a one time customer at this rate.

About to just start cold calling dealers and ask right up front “Do you have an allocation?”

Anyone on here have any leads?

How about just an honest dealer?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 03:12 PM   #15
3Wagon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 325iT

Well, on the bright side, if you went with your original plan of going with an m50i, you’d probably get gone much faster. My dealer had a m50i slot, but 45e’s are many months wait.

Honestly, the dealer may be acting in good faith and just getting screwed by BMW supply issues.
Appreciate 1
91Eunos105.00
      10-22-2021, 07:07 PM   #16
91Eunos
Private First Class
Rep

OK

Bypassed the sales team and talked to the guy who actually orders the vehicles for the dealership…he and I actually hit it off when I was trying to do this deal via BMW Individual…custom paint, custom leather and trim, etc. We finally punted on that when we got official word from Germany that we could only get the paint…and then later found out we couldn’t get the color we really wanted (and would have happily paid the $5K up charge for): Bluestone Metallic.

BTW, that’s an absolutely beautiful color that would be absolutely stunning on this vehicle (well, any vehicle to be honest) if anyone from Corporate is monitoring this board. Hint, hint.

Regardless, I’m officially #2 of 7 who have put down payments on 45e builds for this dealer. Apparently there were only 30 or so 45e allocations released to all dealers in the last drop (I assume that was this week), and they received exactly…zero. Anyone here able to verify that number?

They expect to get at least one 45e allocation next week, but they’re “doing everything they can to get me in the lineup”. I’m assuming positive intent and all, but here’s me holding my breath…

LOL

Here’s the stupid part though…if they’d have been honest and open up front about their allocation (or lack thereof) instead of roping me in by leading me to believe my car would be actually ordered the next week, I’d have been ok with it, and likely would have still put a few thousand dollars down to hold my place in line.

Instead, I’m seriously considering walking away from the deal and just going with that Bentley despite the stupid $$ involved. Trust is a big deal to me. I’m not wealthy by any means, but I do pretty damn well…and reward those who earn my trust in kind.

Giving them one more week to work their magic. Will report after then. And after I remove any emotion from the decision…not angry, just disappointed.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 10:29 PM   #17
calbears
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 M3  [10.00]
2017 M2  [10.00]
2018 M3 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
OK

Bypassed the sales team and talked to the guy who actually orders the vehicles for the dealership…he and I actually hit it off when I was trying to do this deal via BMW Individual…custom paint, custom leather and trim, etc. We finally punted on that when we got official word from Germany that we could only get the paint…and then later found out we couldn’t get the color we really wanted (and would have happily paid the $5K up charge for): Bluestone Metallic.

BTW, that’s an absolutely beautiful color that would be absolutely stunning on this vehicle (well, any vehicle to be honest) if anyone from Corporate is monitoring this board. Hint, hint.

Regardless, I’m officially #2 of 7 who have put down payments on 45e builds for this dealer. Apparently there were only 30 or so 45e allocations released to all dealers in the last drop (I assume that was this week), and they received exactly…zero. Anyone here able to verify that number?
All the available colors for the Xs built in South Carolina are readily available on the BMW individualizer and through a bulletin sent to dealers and require zero approval. Submit the form, done deal. Your dealer should have known this regarding bluestone.

As for the 30 or so 45e allocations, that's complete horse shit. That would have meant we received 4 of those last month for November builds. They could also verify this with the locator tool in DCS.
Appreciate 1
91Eunos105.00
      10-22-2021, 11:20 PM   #18
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Going to be honest with you. If you don't have a production number in a week, you won't be getting it this calendar year.

Go to a high volume dealer to hopefully get an abandoned slot from a fallout. That's your only chance to get it delivered this year
      10-23-2021, 11:33 AM   #19
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
OK

They expect to get at least one 45e allocation next week, but they’re “doing everything they can to get me in the lineup”. I’m assuming positive intent and all, but here’s me holding my breath…

LOL

Here’s the stupid part though…if they’d have been honest and open up front about their allocation (or lack thereof) instead of roping me in by leading me to believe my car would be actually ordered the next week, I’d have been ok with it, and likely would have still put a few thousand dollars down to hold my place in line.

Instead, I’m seriously considering walking away from the deal and just going with that Bentley despite the stupid $$ involved. Trust is a big deal to me. I’m not wealthy by any means, but I do pretty damn well…and reward those who earn my trust in kind.

Giving them one more week to work their magic. Will report after then. And after I remove any emotion from the decision…not angry, just disappointed.
This is starting to sound like they straight up don't have an allocation for you. Even that single spot that they are referring to, it sounds like another customer is being prioritized over you. It could be as simple as that other customer was in line before you, or it could be that it was a high priority repeat customer.

I suppose anything could happen that customer could change his mind, or dealers typically have been making customers who place orders run a credit check to see if they at least have the financial ability to come through when the car is delivered, from time to time a buyer will not pass credit check.

I wouldn't hold my breath on this one. Go to a high volume dealer they probably have allocations, even dealer builds that they can replace your order with.

FYI, Calbears works for a dealership and he actually sees the allocations first hand and builds the cars for all orders.

Last edited by Flying Ace; 10-23-2021 at 11:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2021, 11:39 AM   #20
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Also you need to give the dealers a gauge of your financial ability and intent to buy a made to order car. Think about this, you're taking up an allocation spot and the dealer takes initial financing and inventory risk if you change your mind, ghost them, or otherwise don't buy the car that you built to your specifications.

The first dealer I went to they actually ran a credit check on me. (I only interactive with them over the phone)

The dealer I ultimately bought it from, while they collected my information to run a credit check, I could tell that they actually did not run one. (I initially showed up in person, and finish the deal over the phone)

A week after I received my production number (aka a real allocation), I stopped by the dealer to chat and to do final visual on certain options they had on existing X5s on the lot, I made a comment akin to "I am so excited for this order, I wish it would just come tomorrow, is there any way you can find an earlier allocation?", and my SA made a comment like "yeah, we know you're serious and ready to buy". By that time it's the second time they've seen me, and probably the 10th time of contact.

I guess I gave them the impression that I was ready to buy...

Last edited by Flying Ace; 10-23-2021 at 11:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2021, 02:34 PM   #21
91Eunos
Private First Class
Rep

Good advice from all … thanks. Yeah we already put down $2K and we’ll likely pay cash for this one. Told the dealer we’re ready to write them a check as soon as they get the car in. In general, the only time we finance is when they’re offering zero % or maybe significant discounts with 0.9% or something similar.

I believe cash buyers are actually a detractor for some dealers…they get a piece of the financing from what I’ve been told.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2021, 09:31 PM   #22
calbears
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 M3  [10.00]
2017 M2  [10.00]
2018 M3 CS  [10.00]
Quote:

I believe cash buyers are actually a detractor for some dealers…they get a piece of the financing from what I’ve been told.
True, but if you buy cash then you forgo any potential rebates from BMW (although not much these days). You could finance and then pay it off in 4 months (which I think is the minimum length of time to take advantage of any rebates through financing).
Appreciate 1
91Eunos105.00