BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-17-2021, 10:44 PM   #1
mlurker
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 X5 45e

iDrive apps development or solutions to implement custom logic?

Question to those, who are doing BMW coding:

It looks like there is no official way to build a custom app for iDrive and upload it to bmw app store, so that it can be installed in the car. Is there any unofficial way to sideload it directly to the car? Any resources dedicated to custom iDrive app development available?

Given that iDrive is a very powerful platform and new generation of BMW cars are mostly/completely controlled electronically, it's sad that it provides a limited number of features to the drivers.

I would like to have the following features implemented:
- automatically close sun roof if it's raining (car already has a rain sensor). Will be useful when you camp in the car
- close/open sunroof shade on the schedule (e.g. close at sunrise, open after 5 p.m. so that sun doesn't warm the car) or when the car is locked from the key fob
- if front passenger is detected, apply rules for cooling/heating of the seat and armrest (it's implemented for driver only)
- enable seat/steering wheel heating when a per-condition mode is activated on the 45e (hybrid). Since this car has no remote start, heating is being activated only when you press a "start" button so the car is in drive-ready state

Is there any way with the current tools available (bimmercode etc.) to implement these features, or it's rather limited to only enable/disable a certain flag or a combination of flags?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 05:09 PM   #2
Bambazonke
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 & 2020 X5

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlurker View Post
Question to those, who are doing BMW coding:

It looks like there is no official way to build a custom app for iDrive and upload it to bmw app store, so that it can be installed in the car. Is there any unofficial way to sideload it directly to the car? Any resources dedicated to custom iDrive app development available?

Given that iDrive is a very powerful platform and new generation of BMW cars are mostly/completely controlled electronically, it's sad that it provides a limited number of features to the drivers.

I would like to have the following features implemented:
- automatically close sun roof if it's raining (car already has a rain sensor). Will be useful when you camp in the car
- close/open sunroof shade on the schedule (e.g. close at sunrise, open after 5 p.m. so that sun doesn't warm the car) or when the car is locked from the key fob
- if front passenger is detected, apply rules for cooling/heating of the seat and armrest (it's implemented for driver only)
- enable seat/steering wheel heating when a per-condition mode is activated on the 45e (hybrid). Since this car has no remote start, heating is being activated only when you press a "start" button so the car is in drive-ready state

Is there any way with the current tools available (bimmercode etc.) to implement these features, or it's rather limited to only enable/disable a certain flag or a combination of flags?
Right now, you can code the sunroof to close completely not just to the default tilt position when it rains. You can also change the hourly setting for automatic closure from the default 6 to 8 etc via ESys FDL coding I have not seen any ECU functions with the preset coding parameters that includes sunrise sunset times in the MGU HU to date
      10-24-2021, 02:18 PM   #3
mlurker
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambazonke View Post
Right now, you can code the sunroof to close completely not just to the default tilt position when it rains. You can also change the hourly setting for automatic closure from the default 6 to 8 etc via ESys FDL coding I have not seen any ECU functions with the preset coding parameters that includes sunrise sunset times in the MGU HU to date
Sounds interesting. Is it only in ESys, or BimmerCode and others can do it as well? Can you share any links to the specific details?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 08:44 PM   #4
juancasala
Private
Rep
Drives: 45e +Wife’s i3

Good question, great answers! I would love to learn what is possible, and how to code on the BMW O/S…

Do you need to know how to program, or can a regular guy figure it out?

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 12:56 AM   #5
Bambazonke
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Sounds interesting. Is it only in ESys, or BimmerCode and others can do it as well? Can you share any links to the specific details?
ESysx only at present The sunroof has it's own ECU to control the duration and position of the sunroof and as far as I am aware not accessible in BC's expert mode.
      10-27-2021, 01:14 AM   #6
Bambazonke
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by juancasala View Post
Good question, great answers! I would love to learn what is possible, and how to code on the BMW O/S…

Do you need to know how to program, or can a regular guy figure it out?
No programming knowledge required just need to read the "How to guides to VO and FDL code" available at
https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1673049

There are also numerous posts on how to do this specifically to G05's on this forum notably by IFR
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1828210

There are several YouTube videos out there initially made by the Tokenmaster and more recent ones like how to FDL code "Assisted driving view" in the G20 3 series.

Google is your salvation....

Last edited by Bambazonke; 10-27-2021 at 01:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 04:06 PM   #7
JimVR4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i M-Sport

Quote:
In Bimmercode it is possible to code the sunroof to close completely on rain, not just the raised (tilt) position. I haven't coded this yet but I am 99% sure it will work.

ROOF FUNCTION CENTER (FZD__35)
• EXPERT MODE: Roof fully close in rain: 3009 SHD > Regenposition > geschlossen
      11-08-2021, 02:07 AM   #8
Bambazonke
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVR4 View Post
Quote:
In Bimmercode it is possible to code the sunroof to close completely on rain, not just the raised (tilt) position. I haven't coded this yet but I am 99% sure it will work.

ROOF FUNCTION CENTER (FZD__35)
• EXPERT MODE: Roof fully close in rain: 3009 SHD > Regenposition > geschlossen
yes this is the correct parameter to change. Are you able to access the Kombi in expert mode? If so are you able to edit the following command lines
CB_HUD_FAS: nicht_aktiv [00]
CB_HUD_LIST_AUS: aktiv [01]
CB_HUD_LIST_AUTOMATISCH: aktiv [01]
CB_HUD_LIST_FAS_PERMANENT: aktiv [01]
CB_HUD_LIST_SPORT_AUS: nicht_aktiv [00]
CB_HUD_LIST_SPORT_FES: nicht_aktiv [00]
      11-08-2021, 10:18 AM   #9
JimVR4
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
yes this is the correct parameter to change. Are you able to access the Kombi in expert mode? If so are you able to edit the following command lines
Yes, all of those can be accessed. My X5 has all those settings exactly as you show.
      11-08-2021, 11:41 AM   #10
mlurker
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, all of those can be accessed. My X5 has all those settings exactly as you show.

Are these params required to activate sunroof automatic closure when it rains?

Yesterday I did this via Bimmercode, was testing by pouring water on the windshield, wipers worked, sunroof didn't close (I got a new option in iDrive to automatically close it, activated it).

ROOF FUNCTION CENTER (FZD__35) --> 3009--> Regenaktiv aktiv
ROOF FUNCTION CENTER (FZD__35) --> 3009--> Regenaktiv_robust aktiv
ROOF FUNCTION CENTER (FZD__35) --> 3009--> StatusRCTime Defaultwert
ROOF FUNCTION CENTER (FZD__35) --> 3009--> Regenposition geschlossen
HU_MGU REGEN_SCHLIESSEN aktiv
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 10:18 PM   #11
Bambazonke
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Thank you for your confirmation What year/month is your X5 and your current software version?

My current E Sys setup is outdated and the mapping of the latest NCD files is incomplete and i am unable to see all the FDL codes in the ECU's as I used to. Purchasing the latest E Sysx is not an option at present leaving me with 2 options to make the sports display automatically in my HUD.

1. Using E Sys to modify my FA and change my build date to 03/21 from 07/19 and then VO code the Kombi unit to the new "MY21" default settings as you have and hope there is no hardware changes in the instrument panel since my vehicle was built in August 2019 and hope it changes the parameters to the new format. My dealer updated my software to 03/2021 in April so in theory it should work.

2. Purchase Bimmercode and an iPad/iphone ethernet adapter and expert code the Kombi4 ECU with the 6 parameters listed above

Last edited by Bambazonke; 11-08-2021 at 11:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 10:44 PM   #12
Bambazonke
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Are these params required to activate sunroof automatic closure when it rains?
No they are for Sport Display to now show in the HUD automatically as there was a bug in the original setup see the thread discussion in the below link

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...740022&page=11

Quote:
Yesterday I did this via Bimmercode, was testing by pouring water on the windshield, wipers worked, sunroof didn't close (I got a new option in iDrive to automatically close it, activated it).

ROOF FUNCTION CENTER (FZD__35) --> 3009--> Regenaktiv aktiv
ROOF FUNCTION CENTER (FZD__35) --> 3009--> Regenaktiv_robust aktiv
ROOF FUNCTION CENTER (FZD__35) --> 3009--> StatusRCTime Defaultwert
ROOF FUNCTION CENTER (FZD__35) --> 3009--> Regenposition geschlossen
HU_MGU REGEN_SCHLIESSEN aktiv
My car came standard with the roof to automatically close to the tilt position when it rained all I had to do was change the one FDL command to make it close
Please PM me your email address and I can send you my ECU settings in FWL format so you can read in Notepad, compare and change as necessary to make it work. Make sure you also lock your car and wait 10mins before testing

Last edited by Bambazonke; 11-08-2021 at 11:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 01:12 PM   #13
mlurker
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
No they are for Sport Display to now show in the HUD automatically as there was a bug in the original setup see the thread discussion in the below link

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...740022&page=11

My car came standard with the roof to automatically close to the tilt position when it rained all I had to do was change the one FDL command to make it close
Please PM me your email address and I can send you my ECU settings in FWL format so you can read in Notepad, compare and change as necessary to make it work. Make sure you also lock your car and wait 10mins before testing
Thanks for the info. I opened roof, closed the car, waited for 10 mins and poured water on the windshield and... it automatically closed the roof! Nice.

I thought it works both then you drive and when car sleeps.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 04:57 PM   #14
JimVR4
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thank you for your confirmation What year/month is your X5 and your current software version?

My current E Sys setup is outdated and the mapping of the latest NCD files is incomplete and i am unable to see all the FDL codes in the ECU's as I used to. Purchasing the latest E Sysx is not an option at present leaving me with 2 options to make the sports display automatically in my HUD.

1. Using E Sys to modify my FA and change my build date to 03/21 from 07/19 and then VO code the Kombi unit to the new "MY21" default settings as you have and hope there is no hardware changes in the instrument panel since my vehicle was built in August 2019 and hope it changes the parameters to the new format. My dealer updated my software to 03/2021 in April so in theory it should work.

2. Purchase Bimmercode and an iPad/iphone ethernet adapter and expert code the Kombi4 ECU with the 6 parameters listed above
My car is April 2021 and it has 03/21 software on board.
      11-16-2021, 06:42 PM   #15
Bambazonke
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for that I have just successfully VO coded and added the "Auto" option into the HUD display option by changing the build date to 03/21 Happy days
Attached Images

11-17-2021, 12:44 PM   #16
JimVR4
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for that I have just successfully VO coded and added the "Auto" option into the HUD display option by changing the build date to 03/21 Happy days
Congrats