BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-19-2021, 12:34 PM   #1
GS2019
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Is BMW X5e better than Tesla Model X?

Hi, has anyone had any reviews or honest opinions or feedbacks about BMW X5 (or X5e) vs Tesla Model X? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 01:00 PM   #2
YuicyYumboYack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: the speed limit

Honestly this is something you should do some test drives to get an idea for.

For me personally: I test drove the Model X, and while I liked the car, the interior left much to be desired. For many the interior is okay, but at the price point it felt lacking compared to an x5. I'm also not a fan of everything being on a touch screen. The physical buttons in the x5 were a big selling point for me.

As for the PHEV vs BEV debate, that's pretty much up to individual use case. For me, PHEV works great.
Appreciate 1
biterror511.00
      10-19-2021, 01:09 PM   #3
yanger24
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: x5 45e

If it were up to me we would've got the X. My wife was not ready to go full EV. I drive a 3 performance.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 01:18 PM   #4
GS2019
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuicyYumboYack View Post

For me personally: I test drove the Model X, and while I liked the car, the interior left much to be desired. For many the interior is okay, but at the price point it felt lacking compared to an x5. I'm also not a fan of everything being on a touch screen. The physical buttons in the x5 were a big selling point for me.

As for the PHEV vs BEV debate, that's pretty much up to individual use case. For me, PHEV works great.
Totally agree that Tesla does not have the right level of luxury interior look like the BMW X5. Tesla should have included some physical buttons and a better interior look/feel. They surely missed out on that portion.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 01:19 PM   #5
GS2019
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanger24 View Post
If it were up to me we would've got the X. My wife was not ready to go full EV. I drive a 3 performance.
Since you have a Tesla and X5 (I guess for your wife), what are your thoughts on driving style and performance on each?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 01:22 PM   #6
dananelson1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 X5 45e, 13 X5xdrive50i SOLD

Apples to Oranges. . .
If you never do longer road trips, never/rarely have extended power outages, have a good charging network in your city/community, enjoy high tech, and have a tesla service center nearby, the X (much higher cost to x5) or Y (slightly lower cost) is probably the way to go. If 2 or more of the above don't hold, a PHEV "could" be a better fit.
Alas, Fit, Finish and comfort on a BMW X5 will be better than ANY Tesla IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS2019 View Post
Hi, has anyone had any reviews or honest opinions or feedbacks about BMW X5 (or X5e) vs Tesla Model X? Thanks!

Last edited by dananelson1; 10-19-2021 at 02:53 PM..
Appreciate 3
GrussGott18113.00
volodp193.50
Gmag088.00
      10-19-2021, 02:01 PM   #7
taek
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Do people actually cross shop the two?
A Model X with 5 seats is $113k, no federal rebate.

A 45e loaded out is around $75k, $67k with fed tax credit, $64k with the PenFed incentive. And you can always knock out the msport, merino leather, and other packages since a Tesla is pretty bare bones.

This is a pretty big gap, normally cars $50k apart aren't compared.
Appreciate 1
      10-19-2021, 02:05 PM   #8
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Most people interested in Tesla already have their mind made up because there isn't a viable EV alternative. Alternatively, most people interested in an X5 expect a certain level of luxury that is certainly not found in a Model X. There may be a very small group that cross shops the two for the tech, but otherwise they are very different vehicles.
Appreciate 3
GrussGott18113.00
Gmag088.00
      10-19-2021, 02:46 PM   #9
GS2019
First Lieutenant
Rep

Excellent comparisons - thanks. My family was saying that I should go with a Tesla Model Y (similar pricing to X5) as gas prices are increasing. but I agree that Tesla does not give you all the luxury as X5 especially with the options we can add to X5.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 02:52 PM   #10
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS2019 View Post
The competitor of the Model X is the iX 50i. The Model X has a much nicer interior than before. I sat in a new Plaid and it is pretty excellent compared to previous Teslas. However, the interior of the iX looks much nicer than the X. The Model X has way more interior space than an X5. To me, the yoke is a non starter…

We have a MY Performance. It is super to drive. No quality issues for us. But it needs a HUD…the ride is hard, but very quiet, comfortable seats and the audio is excellent.

I would overall still take an X5 45e over the Model Y…which is closer in price than the X.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18113.00
      10-19-2021, 03:12 PM   #11
blake6551
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 X5MC, '23 X5 45e

I've owned a Model S, X and 3 Performance. I now drive a X5 M50i and just ordered the wife a 45e after driving my neighbors last week. She's coming out of a Volvo XC90 T8.

For us, while we loved the Tesla's, I just think the BMW interior and drive is lightyears ahead, minus the acceleration which is addicting in the Tesla. Even my M50i, and for that matter a 911 feels like a dog compared to the Model 3 Performance...

Additionally, if you get in an accident in your Tesla, its a PITA to get them fixed and parts can take a long time, even pre Covid. I needed work done to my X and 3, and it was aggravating dealing with Tesla. When they work, the cars are amazing, if you have any issues, the service nowadays leaves MUCH to be desired. Good luck even getting on the phone with a real human, it's a sh*t show.

We'll go full EV again in a few years when the mainstream luxury brands have good choices, the Tesla was/is great especially if you are commuting, but they are just not comparable in fit/finish and features if you're used to a German brand.
Appreciate 1
Gmag088.00
      10-19-2021, 03:28 PM   #12
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

The 45e might be useful as an all EV vehicle for all of your commuting. THe advantage on a longer trip is you can stop, go, almost anywhere and refuel the tank. If you want to use the SuperCharger network, you better be on a main road or like maybe a big mall...forget going off of the beaten path unless you're going to stay overnight so you can recharge IF you can find a place to plug in.

Tesla still has the highest warranty claim dollar outlay in the industry, implying to me, at least, that their QA/QC isn't great. I really don't want the majority of my vehicle interaction to be on a central screen. From an engineering viewpoint, while the small, cylindrical battery has some advantages, it also means MANY more points of potential failure. Some of their battery packs can have over 8K cells, where most of the BMWs, being larger, are generally less than a couple hundred...lots fewer chances of something going wrong either in the build, or through a defect, and the modules can be fairly quickly replaced.

Certainly, your max acceleration isn't the same, but the X5 45e isn't bad, and certainly more than enough for running around town. I've not found it really wanting out on the road, but I'm not a particularly aggressive driver, either. last (and only) long trip where I could not recharge, saw about 28-mpg, fully loaded, with speeds around 75-mph most of the way. We were at about max GVW most of the 2000 miles, but nothing on the roof or behind.

FWIW, the EPA gives EV manufacturers two different schemes to report efficiency...Tesla is the only one that uses that optional range calculation...as a result, you're not comparing apples to apples when comparing it to any other EV - their method appears in the real world, to be optimistic, i.e., inflates the max range compared to everyone else.
Appreciate 3
FCX52352.00
Gmag088.00
      10-19-2021, 03:34 PM   #13
biterror
Captain
Finland
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake6551 View Post
For us, while we loved the Tesla's, I just think the BMW interior and drive is lightyears ahead, minus the acceleration which is addicting in the Tesla. Even my M50i, and for that matter a 911 feels like a dog compared to the Model 3 Performance...
The i4 M50 might be a good option? My wife ordered one.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 06:54 PM   #14
brave-heart
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 x5 45e, 2012 x3 35i

In additional to the huge cost saving from model X to 45e, other things to consider: the awkward yoke wheel on X, no 360 view, no blind spot mirror, no apple car play, no HUD, no laser light, no massage chair. Coming from BMW, 360 /HUD/blind detection for me are must have, not even mentioning the range anxiety.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 07:11 PM   #15
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by brave-heart View Post
In additional to the huge cost saving from model X to 45e, other things to consider: the awkward yoke wheel on X, no 360 view, no blind spot mirror, no apple car play, no HUD, no laser light, no massage chair. Coming from BMW, 360 /HUD/blind detection for me are must have, not even mentioning the range anxiety.
On our Model Y, I have never felt the lack of blind spot indicator on the mirrors. If anything, it is easier to see the traffic around you on the screen because the UI is very good. IMHO. The interior is more plush in the X5 for sure. Although the new seats on the Tesla are very comfortable and the audio system on the Tesla is easily better than what is on the X5. Basically, ironically you are trading off speed, acceleration, power and likely handling compared to the X5 for a plusher interior and lower price. Usually people buy BMW for the reasons the Model X is better. In my case, the yoke is a deal breaker.

A colleague has a Model S Plaid and I have ridden in it. TBH, it will surprise a lot of people by how well built that thing is. The new Model X is likely similar.

Not having CarPlay on our Model Y is irritating, but Tesla's own Infotainment is excellent and Bluetooth integration with an iPhone is excellent as well. Plus it has wireless charging. Not having a HUD is IMHO the biggest missing feature in a Tesla. Never noticed lack of lighting and auto pilot (we don't have full self driving) is great for long highway drives. The handling is superb, but the ride is stiff. The Model Y handles at least as well as my F15 X5 with DHP. The Model X has Air Suspension that the Y does not, so it will likely be more comfortable.

Lastly, all Teslas have more rear leg room than an X5! But no Tesla has real leather…the X5 45e is more versatile since it is a PHEV.

Just depends on what is more important to you.
Appreciate 1
KRS_SN13100.00
      10-19-2021, 07:17 PM   #16
reli
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 23 M3 CX, 2022 X5 45e

I guss I'm one of the odd ones I am trading in my Model Y for the 45e this Friday.... Its a love hate relaitonship with the Model Y. At the end of the day the ride and suspesnion is terriable feels like I'm in my STi again not sutiable for a family car. Quailty and that luxry feel is not there. I sold my x3 m40i much regret but baby number two in the house the X5 45e was the way to go. Tesla tech is top noch and so is the super charging and auto pilot if you have the latest FSD with a 100 score it is ahead for sure but man you really pay for the "software" the hardware is terriable basically
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 07:39 PM   #17
Axxlrod
Dude man
Rep
Drives: X5/X7/Acura NSX

EV are the future for sure, so get a big V8 while you can.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 07:44 PM   #18
YuicyYumboYack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: the speed limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by brave-heart View Post
I'm still having a hard time believing the yoke wheel is an improvement. I get it provides a better view for the instrument cluster and I'm always for makings things better, but the yoke honestly feels like a step backwards.

I've seen videos of it and comments about how you eventually get used to it, but it honestly looks like it could be dangerous in an emergency situation. A steering wheel in a mass produced car seems like the last thing that you should have to get used to. Also looks really annoying to use in situations where you're going slow and turning like a parking lot.

But who knows...I haven't tried it so maybe it's great.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 08:05 PM   #19
blake6551
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 X5MC, '23 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by biterror View Post
The i4 M50 might be a good option? My wife ordered one.
Definitely, we have two young kids now so I'm enjoying the SUV for the car seats, otherwise I'd seriously have considered it. I saw on in the flesh recently and it looks fantastic. I even liked the iX in person, but they are just too pricey for me to be a guinea pig on a first year model.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 08:18 PM   #20
scottomfg
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 Cayman S 6MT, '21 X5 45E

Since no one else is saying it, I have to: the Model Y is hands down one of the ugliest cars on the road. It gives the first gen Leaf/Versa a run for its money. The proportions are just all wrong and looks like the designers just gave up on it.

2014 981 Cayman S 6MT, X73 Suspension, SES
2021 X5 45e MSport, Manhattan Green, Coffee Merino, Review & Photos
Previous: '18 340 GT, '15 M235i 6MT, '15 i3 REx, '15 x1 xDrive28i
Appreciate 4
      10-19-2021, 08:20 PM   #21
GS2019
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottomfg View Post
Since no one else is saying it, I have to: the Model Y is hands down one of the ugliest cars on the road. It gives the first gen Leaf/Versa a run for its money. The proportions are just all wrong and looks like the designers just gave up on it.

Appreciate 1
Gmag088.00
      10-19-2021, 08:40 PM   #22
RH2020
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xdrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
Most people interested in Tesla already have their mind made up because there isn't a viable EV alternative. Alternatively, most people interested in an X5 expect a certain level of luxury that is certainly not found in a Model X. There may be a very small group that cross shops the two for the tech, but otherwise they are very different vehicles.
So far the reviews on the upcoming iX has been quite positive except for it’s “look”, which is a direct competition for model X
Appreciate 0