BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-25-2021, 01:42 PM   #89
Eternalthinker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCX5 View Post
Awesome garage. Hopefully you can add a Nivera and Chiron to that collection soon.

My experience with the MY is that the autopilot works very well. The interior is very simple, but the seats and audio are very good and performance for the price is excellent. It is also very quiet. Tesla's Supercharger station is another advantage and my wife is addicted to the idea of never needing to go to a gas station or oil change etc. But then my experience is much more mundane that yours.

I have also been on a couple of short trips on a new Model S Plaid and the interior is quite nice. The person who drives it as a DD now used to have a BMW 750i FWIW and was considering the Taycan. He likes the Plaid a lot. The yoke is not my thing, but I have no problems with the interior or drive train or handling.
One caution of supercharging the car is to not do it very often. It certainly is not good for the battery being charged at such loads.
      10-25-2021, 01:45 PM   #90
Eternalthinker
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicityii View Post
I'm with you on the performance. My Model Y Performance accelerates 0–60 in 3.5 seconds, which is just silly. I drove an X3M Competition over the weekend, and it was fast, but 0.2 seconds slower than the Tesla—and thanks to the EV drivetrain, the Tesla's acceleration is absolutely smooth, a quick but steady pull to 60 mph and beyond.

I appreciate the Supercharger network very much and don't understand why other manufacturers continue to leave such a critical aspect of their success to third-party firms. Tesla gets this, and so does Rivian, but the legacy ICE firms transitioning to EVs seem mostly content to simply refer their drivers to third-party networks. I don't get it.

Where I differ is on Autopilot. I loved it at first, but I've had too many phantom braking episodes to fully trust it anymore. When I drove cross-country, without a lot of traffic, in the middle of nowhere, it was great. In urban/suburban/exurban freeway driving, with traffic allowing little margin for error, I've mostly given up on it. Nothing like doing 75 down the interstate in moderate traffic when suddenly the MY says, "Oh no, the pavement changed color, must brake!"
Yes! Phantom braking is THE singular issue I have that have me not using the AP system anymore. The issue is I am coasting at highway speeds and for no reason the car slams on the brakes almost causing me being rear-ended. I have made it a very specific point to my spouse to never use AP anymore.
      10-25-2021, 01:47 PM   #91
Eternalthinker
Second Lieutenant
Rep

One other note regarding EVs in general and not just an issue with Tesla is that if you go with the larger wheels your range will drop. When I take my MX to Tahoe during the winter months, I generally get half of the range. Both going uphill and in colder temps really hit the range.
      10-25-2021, 03:01 PM   #92
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Chemical reactions generally don't favor colder temperatures, and battery chemistry is certainly one of them...you just can't push as many electrons around when the battery pack is cold, and heating it up takes power although one design, don't know of anyone using it, has a heater inside of the cell that is fairly efficient.

As I've said earlier, the EPA in the USA allows EVs to use one of two different methods to advertise MPGe...Tesla is the only one that uses the optional method, and it produces a higher MPGe than everyone else's vehicles, so take their range numbers with that aspect in mind. It's not unusual to lose 20% of your range in the winter on an EV or PHEV while on electrical, and that's for more than one reason:
- the air is denser, so you're drag goes up
- the battery max current is lower and there's less voltage, too
- heating, especially without a heat pump, can suck more watts
- mirror, seat, rear window heating can use more watts than a/c
- you tend to be using lights more often since the days are shorter
- if you switch to winter tires, most all of them have more drag.

SO, even on an ICE, many of those things still apply.
Appreciate 1
      10-25-2021, 06:56 PM   #93
reli
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 23 M3 CX, 2022 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternalthinker View Post

Yes! Phantom braking is THE singular issue I have that have me not using the AP system anymore. The issue is I am coasting at highway speeds and for no reason the car slams on the brakes almost causing me being rear-ended. I have made it a very specific point to my spouse to never use AP anymore.

No car in front of you? Wide open road? Let me just Phantom Break! Ugh had this happen so many time so annoying ! and one time it almost caused an acceident for me...!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 07:19 PM   #94
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternalthinker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicityii View Post
I'm with you on the performance. My Model Y Performance accelerates 0–60 in 3.5 seconds, which is just silly. I drove an X3M Competition over the weekend, and it was fast, but 0.2 seconds slower than the Tesla—and thanks to the EV drivetrain, the Tesla's acceleration is absolutely smooth, a quick but steady pull to 60 mph and beyond.

I appreciate the Supercharger network very much and don't understand why other manufacturers continue to leave such a critical aspect of their success to third-party firms. Tesla gets this, and so does Rivian, but the legacy ICE firms transitioning to EVs seem mostly content to simply refer their drivers to third-party networks. I don't get it.

Where I differ is on Autopilot. I loved it at first, but I've had too many phantom braking episodes to fully trust it anymore. When I drove cross-country, without a lot of traffic, in the middle of nowhere, it was great. In urban/suburban/exurban freeway driving, with traffic allowing little margin for error, I've mostly given up on it. Nothing like doing 75 down the interstate in moderate traffic when suddenly the MY says, "Oh no, the pavement changed color, must brake!"
My wife drives the MY way more than me. However, in the few times I have used it for weekend trips we didn't experience anything really bad. Not sure if it's the traffic pattern around here. The MY would be much more compelling with a HUD and air suspension. We usually only charge at home, so the iX should be fine for us.

I also think Tesla is a making a mistake by only relying on cameras and no radar/lidar.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2023, 04:39 AM   #95
JoseFinley
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW

The BMW X5e is a solid choice, with its luxury feel and performance. But I must admit, the Tesla Model X blew me away! The all-electric power, tech features, and spaciousness are hard to beat. Plus, the Supercharger network makes road trips more relaxing. It depends on your priorities - if you value a luxurious ride with some electric capability, go for the BMW. But I love Tesla more, and I'm a fan of the Tesla model y interior. Anyway, the choice is up to you!

Last edited by JoseFinley; 07-20-2023 at 04:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2023, 01:03 PM   #96
Chuck W.
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '95 Porsche 993 Cab

I had a deposit down on a Tesla X. My brother rented one and I drove it. I didn't like it. The windshield comes up way too high and there are no sun visors. The rear captain seats had no heat, no armrest and no cupholders. I am guessing this is the way all Model Xs are.

My brother drove it from the Bay Area to Los Angeles, about 300 miles. Traveling with the A/C on and 75 MPH he had to stop twice to power up. And those stops are not short. I cancelled the X and bought an X5. We do a lot of longer trips in the X5 and I am grateful that there are gas station on every corner.

In time I think EV will be the way to go. Just not the the Tesla X and not now.
2001 Toyota Tundra SR5 Ext Cab - Hay Hauler
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2023, 02:38 PM   #97
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

The advent of newer battery technology that is more energy dense, longer lasting, and able to be recharged faster will usher in BEVs to more people...we're getting close, but we're not there yet. MB is supposed to have some new battery tech in the next year or so, and it will start to show up in more models as they work the kinks out and build the required new production lines.

While you can take a long road trip in a BEV, it may not be seamless, and could be much more stressful if the charging station is full, busy, or out of order, and that's if you can find one along your intended route. For local use, a BEV could be great. I had one, along with an ICE for longer trips, and mostly used the BEV. It's nice leaving with a full 'tank' every morning without having to stop somewhere to achieve that.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2023, 10:10 PM   #98
swainbmw
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 x5 40!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS2019 View Post
Excellent comparisons - thanks. My family was saying that I should go with a Tesla Model Y (similar pricing to X5) as gas prices are increasing. but I agree that Tesla does not give you all the luxury as X5 especially with the options we can add to X5.

To me, Teslas are like a Tupperware container/bowl all the same no style very girlish cars.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2023, 10:39 PM   #99
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

A PHEV and a BEV are two very different things. It's hard to make an apples to apples comparison.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 03:31 AM   #100
Bmwx5z
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by swainbmw View Post
To me, Teslas are like a Tupperware container/bowl all the same no style very girlish cars.
For me Teslas are like iPhones… they work, easy to charge, get regular updates and software support, fully functional for day to day use around the city (which is most common type of drives most people do everyday), low maintenance (no oil changes, less breaks use due to regen). It’s easy to use, might I say acceleration is also fun.

It’ll be a ubiquitous product, like the iPhones.

If you want more customizable options, comfort, definitely other brands do it better.
Appreciate 1
swainbmw525.50
      07-18-2023, 04:09 AM   #101
SwissBeemer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwx5z View Post
For me Teslas are like iPhones…
Except for iPhones usually having all the bells & whistles and an exceptional design which is both not the case on Tesla's which are missing tons of functions (HUD, Parking sensors, sun visors, etc.) and having an incredibly boring design (both outside and especially inside) when compared to other manufacturers.

In my own very personal opinion Tesla's USP was initially that they were the first to have usable range and charging infrastructure and later on the party trick of quick acceleration but in every other aspect Tesla lags far behind the competition (service, design, quality, etc.) and all of these areas are a lot harder to catch up on than packing big electric motors in your car. Batteries and motors are quite often just bought externally while getting the manufacturing process down to churn out big volumes with consistent quality and stepping up your design & service is a lot harder.

And with other manufacturers catching up on the battery & power part I don't really see what Tesla is left with. Tesla fanboys usually reply something along the lines of their head-start in terms of data for their autopilot but honestly FSD is being promised since it feels like 8 years and it still isn't a reality while most of the car-reviewers I've watched would say that the autonomous driving features on BMW, Mercedes, etc. are better than on Tesla's.

Just my $0,02.
Appreciate 1
swainbmw525.50
      09-07-2023, 03:55 PM   #102
DaveDBD
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

2023 X sub $80k price vs 2024 50E

As of September 2023, the X is priced to be eligible for the $7500 federal tax credit making it $74.1k including shipping for any color including the now free ultra red.

The 50e loaded similarly is about $83k with no federal tax credit. A barely optioned one at just $79.9k would be $76.2 after $3750 fed tax credit.

The 50e has lost all buttons and now depends upon the screen just as the X does, albeit controls are usually down 2 or 3 levels in separate apps that have to be found first.

Having now a 50e and just test drove the latest X, my preference is for the X. I would switch but Tesla black book trade-in is $27k less than the price I paid for my 50e.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2023, 06:49 PM   #103
cdhowell
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50e / Tesla Model Y

I love my Tesla, but I’m excited to switch to an X50e in a few weeks! More many many reasons.
Appreciate 0