10-20-2021, 11:17 AM   #1
goobies818
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Newbie questions on roof top boxes

Hey all

Having exclusively only owned sedans/coupes all my life (and one Miata)...i want to get a better understanding of roof top cargo boxes.

Is install easy...like a one person job...or do i need to draft a helper out?
How heavy are those things? Do you just keep them on there or take them off/on based on relatively infrequent need?

I don't fathom needing that extra space all that often other than camping trips, golf trips with buddies (on that note, how many bags do you think can fit in one of those...i know different sizes...but i'd need to transport 3 bags).

Also, how easy is it to access the stuff in the box? even at 5'10" i find myself already looking up to the rails on my x5...so throwing in cross bars and a box...i surmise i would need a step stool...or grow to NBA size.

How secure are the boxes on the roof? Given that they're not cheap...i worry if the car is parked on the street...someone can just simply take the box off and i'm SOL a pretty pricy accessory.

I'm prob overthinking this...but wife thinks we don't need it...and last thing i need is an eyeroll and "told ya so" from her if i end up struggling with the thing

thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 11:34 AM   #2
YuicyYumboYack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: the speed limit

Unfortunately I don't have personal experience, but I've been researching as well, and so far what I've found is:

*Is install easy...like a one person job...or do i need to draft a helper out?
How heavy are those things? Do you just keep them on there or take them off/on based on relatively infrequent need?

Sounds like it's a two person job unless you're feeling brave haha. I think they're about 40 lbs so not terrible but I think the size would make it difficult to do it on your own. For me, I would only be putting it on the car when needed because it will have an impact on fuel economy, and may also introduce wind noise.

* I don't fathom needing that extra space all that often other than camping trips, golf trips with buddies (on that note, how many bags do you think can fit in one of those...i know different sizes...but i'd need to transport 3 bags).

Again hard to say because I don't have personal experience with one, but I did go to an REI to check one out and they're plenty big. Depending on the size, it will easily fit 3 bags.

For the other questions, I'll let those with actual experience answer since really I'm just talking out of my ass right now.

I do have the same concern as you regarding security. I'm in the Bay Area and if you leave an empty box in the back of the car someone will break in, so I honestly don't think I'd feel safe leaving things in the roof top box unattended. And funny enough...my wife also says we don't need one lol. I'll be watching this thread.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18164.00
      10-20-2021, 11:39 AM   #3
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

If you use one of the major online part database sites like realoem.com or bimmercat.com ...the weight of whichever box you select is given (will need to convert from kilograms if you're into lbs) when you click on the part nbr for its specific info.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18164.00
      10-20-2021, 12:03 PM   #4
charlie fairmont
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: His & hers, GC & X5

I've also wondered about these things, albeit in less detail than you. My primary question is what is more appealing about a seemingly more difficult to load, less aerodynamic, cargo option, when compared to the hitch-mounted tray/basket options.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 12:14 PM   #5
dananelson1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 X5 45e, 13 X5xdrive50i SOLD

goobies818
I have had a Thule Alpine Roofbox for 3-4 years and love it. Generally, it's a two person job to put on car rack then a one person to secure (though one could put a smaller one solo). My roof box is: https://www.thule.com/en-us/cargo-ca...lpine-_-629506

I use it mostly for skis and poles in the winter and for many bags tents chairs etc, for summer/camping. It allows us to either bring more stuff and/or keep the interior less packed on trips and is water tight and secure up top. The biggest pain is storage when not on the roof.

Currently my X5 has running boards, so access is very easy. That said, my new (on order) X5 has Msport thus no running boards. I'll be standing on rear tire or on door seal to load/upload I assume.

They are big and can be pricey; not for everyone. We use it tons (especially in winter for skiing) so it's good.
Appreciate 2
GrussGott18164.00
      10-20-2021, 12:15 PM   #6
goobies818
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie fairmont View Post
I've also wondered about these things, albeit in less detail than you. My primary question is what is more appealing about a seemingly more difficult to load, less aerodynamic, cargo option, when compared to the hitch-mounted tray/basket options.
My guesses...a) lack of a trailer hitch to begin with b) makes an already big vehicle even longer...so parking lots you really now have your a$$ sticking out and c) prob makes access to the rear cargo area a bit more cumbersome since you now have the tray effectively blocking your access to the tailgate area. That's my hunch

Frankly, each time i see a car on the highway...it seems there's a lot of torsional stress being put on that tray and the receiver. I'll see people really loading stuff and you can just see the flexing of the tray as the vehicle goes over humps and what not. ah...also...your departure angle of your car goes practically to zilch i guess...leading to tail strikes if you enter exit a driveway is another hunch too.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 12:17 PM   #7
YuicyYumboYack
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dananelson1 View Post
goobies818
I have had a Thule Alpine Roofbox for 3-4 years and love it. Generally, it's a two person job to put on car rack then a one person to secure (though one could put a smaller one solo). My roof box is: https://www.thule.com/en-us/cargo-ca...lpine-_-629506

I use it mostly for skis and poles in the winter and for many bags tents chairs etc, for summer/camping. It allows us to either bring more stuff and/or keep the interior less packed on trips and is water tight and secure up top. The biggest pain is storage when not on the roof.

Currently my X5 has running boards, so access is very easy. That said, my new (on order) X5 has Msport thus no running boards. I'll be standing on rear tire or on door seal to load/upload I assume.

They are big and can be pricey; not for everyone. We use it tons (especially in winter for skiing) so it's good.
Might be worth considering this if you're looking for an alternative to standing on the tire: Rightline Door Step
Appreciate 2
GrussGott18164.00
      10-20-2021, 12:22 PM   #8
goobies818
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuicyYumboYack View Post
Might be worth considering this if you're looking for an alternative to standing on the tire: Rightline Door Step
reminds me of those doorway pullup bars. Another one of those "damnit...why didn't i think of it" inventions
Appreciate 2
      10-20-2021, 01:41 PM   #9
goobies818
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
goobies818

Thanks! Really helpful...though as i suspected being a 2 person job...i think the infrequent install and removal can be one of those "tests of a marriage" type of thing. Doesn't help my wife is all of 5 foot nothing...so i think she'd be pretty useless in that department to begin with.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 03:22 PM   #10
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

If you have a hitch, I'd go for the hitch storage box. Some of the mounts can swing out of the way of the hatch, your children or wife could more easily access it, the fuel efficiency won't be affected, and there won't be any drag or wind noise. Less chance of dropping something while trying to put stuff in or out of the box and the max load on the roof is 100kg, and you can easily double that off the hitch.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 09:44 AM   #11
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by goobies818 View Post
Hey all

Having exclusively only owned sedans/coupes all my life (and one Miata)...i want to get a better understanding of roof top cargo boxes.

Is install easy...like a one person job...or do i need to draft a helper out?

I don't fathom needing that extra space all that often other than camping trips, golf trips with buddies (on that note, how many bags do you think can fit in one of those...i know different sizes...but i'd need to transport 3 bags).

Also, how easy is it to access the stuff in the box? even at 5'10" i find myself already looking up to the rails on my x5...so throwing in cross bars and a box...i surmise i would need a step stool...or grow to NBA size.

How secure are the boxes on the roof? Given that they're not cheap...i worry if the car is parked on the street...someone can just simply take the box off and i'm SOL a pretty pricy accessory.

I'm prob overthinking this...but wife thinks we don't need it...and last thing i need is an eyeroll and "told ya so" from her if i end up struggling with the thing

thanks!
I can chime in. I have a Thule XT Large rooftop box.
1) I routinely install it alone. Not sure the weight, but I lift it up, set it on my head - get a good balance, then position it over the roof rails.
2) The box can't be that heavy, I'm guessing less than 50 pounds.
3) I remove mine after use. Only use it 2 or 3 times a year - max.
4) The size I got has enough space to fit bags for me, my wife, and two young kids plus all our beach gear.
5) When the box is on the car, I just step on the door sill to access the box. In reality, I don't pack stuff that needs constant access up there. When me and the family travel, we pack "go bags" that we keep in the trunk. Those contain minimum stuff - change of clothes, toiletries, toys for the kids, etc. The "real" luggage gets put in the rooftop carrier and doesn't get accessed until we're at our destination and unpacking.
6) I'm 6'-1" so I can access the box pretty easily by stepping on the door sill. However, I did pack a step stool (small 2-step stool) and threw that in the box after I was done loading it up. That made it a lot easier to load and unload the carrier.
7) It's not super easy for someone to steal the box, especially if the box is full. A person would have to be somewhat familiar with the system to uninstall it. Quite frankly, the people who know enough to remove it and want it bad enough, probably aren't the demographic of people who would be stealing your stuff.

Hope this answered all your questions!
Appreciate 3
      10-21-2021, 11:40 AM   #12
goobies818
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
I can chime in. I have a Thule XT Large rooftop box.
1) I routinely install it alone. Not sure the weight, but I lift it up, set it on my head - get a good balance, then position it over the roof rails.
2) The box can't be that heavy, I'm guessing less than 50 pounds.
3) I remove mine after use. Only use it 2 or 3 times a year - max.
4) The size I got has enough space to fit bags for me, my wife, and two young kids plus all our beach gear.
5) When the box is on the car, I just step on the door sill to access the box. In reality, I don't pack stuff that needs constant access up there. When me and the family travel, we pack "go bags" that we keep in the trunk. Those contain minimum stuff - change of clothes, toiletries, toys for the kids, etc. The "real" luggage gets put in the rooftop carrier and doesn't get accessed until we're at our destination and unpacking.
6) I'm 6'-1" so I can access the box pretty easily by stepping on the door sill. However, I did pack a step stool (small 2-step stool) and threw that in the box after I was done loading it up. That made it a lot easier to load and unload the carrier.
7) It's not super easy for someone to steal the box, especially if the box is full. A person would have to be somewhat familiar with the system to uninstall it. Quite frankly, the people who know enough to remove it and want it bad enough, probably aren't the demographic of people who would be stealing your stuff.

Hope this answered all your questions!
thanks VTENGR! that was super helpful and reassuring. And yeah...i figured they can't be that heavy...but i suppose more clumsy and clunky. Do you use the BMW OEM cross bars or did you also go the Thule route there as well?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 11:44 AM   #13
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
thanks VTENGR! that was super helpful and reassuring. And yeah...i figured they can't be that heavy...but i suppose more clumsy and clunky. Do you use the BMW OEM cross bars or did you also go the Thule route there as well?
I went all Thule - AeroBlade and Motion XT box.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      10-21-2021, 11:59 AM   #14
goobies818
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
looks nice...like the black on white look.

another stupid question that i know i can prob find out but while we're here...

When you open the box to load/unload...does it have a propping mechanism to keep it open? and how far does it swing open? I surmise it can't swing past vertical beyond my reach where it can flop 100% away from me and come crashing on the door windows (i know...stupid hypothesis...but knowing my luck...if the box is capable of such wild things...i'm bound to stumble into those issues...i need something dummy proof)
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 12:00 PM   #15
YuicyYumboYack
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
When you have the rails on, both with and without the box, is there any additional wind noise?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 12:05 PM   #16
YuicyYumboYack
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

When you open the box to load/unload...does it have a propping mechanism to keep it open? and how far does it swing open? I surmise it can't swing past vertical beyond my reach where it can flop 100% away from me and come crashing on the door windows (i know...stupid hypothesis...but knowing my luck...if the box is capable of such wild things...i'm bound to stumble into those issues...i need something dummy proof)
For the ones I've seen, the swivel is built such that you can open it from both sides.

Here are screenshots from a Thule promotional video:

Facing forward, opening from the right side:
Name:  Screen Shot 2021-10-21 at 10.03.20 AM.png
Views: 559
Size:  638.1 KB

From the left:
Name:  Screen Shot 2021-10-21 at 10.03.30 AM.png
Views: 541
Size:  636.1 KB
Appreciate 2
GrussGott18164.00
      10-21-2021, 12:07 PM   #17
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

I don't know the exact specs but I would say it opens about 30 degrees from horizontal. It also opens from both sides, so that's very helpful in the loading/unloading procedure. Definitely large enough to fit a standard size carry-on through with room to spare. The Thule comes with pull handles on the inside for you to grab to close the carrier when you're done. There are several YouTube videos reviewing the Motion XT - those will give you an idea of the functionality.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 12:09 PM   #18
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuicyYumboYack View Post
When you have the rails on, both with and without the box, is there any additional wind noise?
With rails - yes - slight whistle at around 40mph. Gets easily drowned out by radio. I rode around with the rails for a few weeks and my wife didn't notice the noise until I pointed it to her attention.

With the Rails + Box - no whistle, but obvious wind noise going 50mph+. Not annoying, just noticeable.

I'm pretty sensitive to noises, especially random ones non-uniform noises - like paper flapping in the wind b/c you have your windows down, etc. We took a 6hr road trip with this setup and I wasn't annoyed one bit by the noise.
Appreciate 2
      10-21-2021, 12:14 PM   #19
YuicyYumboYack
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
With rails - yes - slight whistle at around 40mph. Gets easily drowned out by radio. I rode around with the rails for a few weeks and my wife didn't notice the noise until I pointed it to her attention.

With the Rails + Box - no whistle, but obvious wind noise going 50mph+. Not annoying, just noticeable.

I'm pretty sensitive to noises, especially random ones non-uniform noises - like paper flapping in the wind b/c you have your windows down, etc. We took a 6hr road trip with this setup and I wasn't annoyed one bit by the noise.
Appreciate the insight!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 02:36 PM   #20
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

FWIW, if you shop around, you can buy the OEM bars for a fair amount less than most of the aftermarket ones.

On most vehicles, there's a (very small) rail location bump on the inside of the rails in the rubber. AT least with the OEM ones, that location produces the least drag and noise. The rail foot should be centered around that bump.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 02:59 PM   #21
dananelson1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 X5 45e, 13 X5xdrive50i SOLD

VTENGR
Did you need the "Fit Kit" that Thule recommends? Thule gave me this for what looks like your set-up. Also looking into Wingbar....
Components
Thule AeroBlade Edge 7603
Kit 184023

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 03:00 PM   #22
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
@VTENGR;28167557
Did you need the "Fit Kit" that Thule recommends? Thule gave me this for what looks like your set-up. Also looking into Wingbar....
Components
Kit 184023

Quote:
Yes I ordered the fit kit Thule recommended.
Appreciate 1