BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-20-2021, 02:33 PM   #1
Ukd X6
Private First Class
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 G06

Shocked to see this !!!

Was driving today .. avg speed was about 60 miles per hour .. a sudden rattling sound got my attention and had to check the car twice thinking it was my rear seat - seat belts or a lose item inside my car or the trunk ..

Moved things around and took the car again for a second round and went a bit faster then all of the sudden a loud bang was heard .. i had to pull over and noticed that my roof antenna shark fin cover came off ..

This is weird.. very weird.. for a new car to have such incidents.. (note** my car was in for service (break pads) would it be possible that they hit the fin while lifting the car up ?
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
MissVito213.50
      10-20-2021, 02:45 PM   #2
goobies818
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Your hypothesis seems plausible...unfortunately the sharkfin is so damaged after falling off that it's hard to tell if there was any damage prior to falling off or not. My main guess is not the lift...but if you got a car wash before they returned your ride...the dealers often use automated car washes like you see at gas stations...and that might be the more likely culprit.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 03:08 PM   #3
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 G05 40i M Sport

To me looks like they did not use enough glue/sealant, and coupled with the heat the thing just flew off.

Easy enough Warranty job...

At least the Sun-roof doesn't fly off like in Tesla's
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 03:33 PM   #4
YuicyYumboYack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: the speed limit

Aw it's a mini shark fin under the big shark fin! Maybe there's an even smaller one underneath

Back to the question, Ukd X6 while anything is possible, I don't think they would've damaged the fin while lifting the car for a brake service. Don't know what it could've hit on the way up.

I'm with James_G0530d, it probably just wasn't secure enough from the factory.
Appreciate 1
wrickem2101.00
      10-20-2021, 03:50 PM   #5
Ukd X6
Private First Class
Saudi Arabia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuicyYumboYack View Post
Aw it's a mini shark fin under the big shark fin! Maybe there's an even smaller one underneath

Back to the question, Ukd X6 while anything is possible, I don't think they would've damaged the fin while lifting the car for a brake service. Don't know what it could've hit on the way up.

Quote:

Unfortunately.. yes it was severely damaged .. can't tell enough .. but I do agree .. it might be a bad car wash job or a factory defect.. not sure if it goes under warranty though ..

will wait for the SA's feedback tomorrow… I hope it does .. and thankfully the main unit is still in tact .. only a cover thinggy
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 04:23 PM   #6
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Factory defect!
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 05:06 PM   #7
YuicyYumboYack
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukd X6 View Post
Unfortunately.. yes it was severely damaged .. can't tell enough .. but I do agree .. it might be a bad car wash job or a factory defect.. not sure if it goes under warranty though ..

will wait for the SA's feedback tomorrow… I hope it does .. and thankfully the main unit is still in tact .. only a cover thinggy
I would definitely push them to replace that under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 05:09 PM   #8
Ukd X6
Private First Class
Saudi Arabia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Amen to that .. keeping my fingers crossed 🤞🏻
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 10:14 PM   #9
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:

Sorry to see OP, that sucks ... with the damage after the fact hard to say if when it was damaged, but hopefully it's an easy fix
Appreciate 2
      10-21-2021, 10:41 AM   #10
Ukd X6
Private First Class
Saudi Arabia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Quote:

Sorry to see OP, that sucks ... with the damage after the fact hard to say if when it was damaged, but hopefully it's an easy fix
Thanks buddy

Yea I believe the part flew off and got run by another car behind me 🥱

The dealer got back and told me the part is on order , once received they'll paint it and have it fixed ..

Unfortunately No warranty on such case.. I am just glad it's a minor part + charge ..

Lesson learned (check your tires and check the glue on your trim pieces 😂&#128514
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18141.50
      10-21-2021, 12:18 PM   #11
YuicyYumboYack
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks buddy

The dealer got back and told me the part is on order , once received they'll paint it and have it fixed ..

Unfortunately No warranty on such case.. I am just glad it's a minor part + charge ..

Lesson learned (check your tires and check the glue on your trim pieces 😂&#128514
Seriously? Lame. Hopefully it doesn't cost too much.
Appreciate 1
Ukd X682.50
      10-21-2021, 01:02 PM   #12
IFlyX5
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X5 s40i, '22 X5 x45e

Quote:
Thanks buddy

Why isn't it covered by warranty?
      10-21-2021, 04:59 PM   #13
Ukd X6
Private First Class
Saudi Arabia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyX5 View Post
Quote:
Thanks buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyX5 View Post
Quote:
Thanks buddy

Not sure why .. and I am not going to take it without a fight.. They claim that it could be from a harsh car wash 🥸 .. I honestly don't think this is a reason to be given .. always the blame game..

I remember having an incident back then with my '01 X5 and one of the rear side M kit fenders glue took off and I lost the piece in the middle of GW parkway (was a snowy day) .. the dealer (body shop) at that time was kind enough to replace the piece for me under warranty..

The piece it self is not that expensive ($59 + paint job cost) it's never about cost it's about principle ..
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 08:19 PM   #14
Chas8283
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M

Sorry you’re having to go through this. Seems like bad luck and a hassle. I would be frustrated. On your question about damage while in service, thought I would share this actually happened to our last ‘19 X5 very early on in our parking garage. It’s in NYC and one of the garages where they stack cars. Damage wasn’t bad or obvious so I didn’t say anything but the roof around the fin was ever so slightly deformed. I’m sure the roof is thin so I assume if they hit the fin when lifting it will always deform the roof a bit. Might be worth taking a close look at yours just to confirm it looks normal. Like I said, it wasn’t at all obvious but if you were at the right angle you could spot the roof on one side of the fin was slightly lower than the other.
Appreciate 1
Ukd X682.50
      10-22-2021, 09:25 AM   #15
Ukd X6
Private First Class
Saudi Arabia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas8283 View Post
Sorry you're having to go through this. Seems like bad luck and a hassle. I would be frustrated. On your question about damage while in service, thought I would share this actually happened to our last '19 X5 very early on in our parking garage. It's in NYC and one of the garages where they stack cars. Damage wasn't bad or obvious so I didn't say anything but the roof around the fin was ever so slightly deformed. I'm sure the roof is thin so I assume if they hit the fin when lifting it will always deform the roof a bit. Might be worth taking a close look at yours just to confirm it looks normal. Like I said, it wasn't at all obvious but if you were at the right angle you could spot the roof on one side of the fin was slightly lower than the other.
Quote:
Sorry you're having to go through this. Seems like bad luck and a hassle. I would be frustrated. On your question about damage while in service, thought I would share this actually happened to our last '19 X5 very early on in our parking garage. It's in NYC and one of the garages where they stack cars. Damage wasn't bad or obvious so I didn't say anything but the roof around the fin was ever so slightly deformed. I'm sure the roof is thin so I assume if they hit the fin when lifting it will always deform the roof a bit. Might be worth taking a close look at yours just to confirm it looks normal. Like I said, it wasn't at all obvious but if you were at the right angle you could spot the roof on one side of the fin was slightly lower than the other.
Thanks buddy

I am still suspicious about it.. can't tell though as the piece is damaged.. and the roof slope on the x6s is lower .. nothing visible on it as the fin tops the roof liner in height .. will definitely try an argument with the dealer .. and I hope it works 🤞🏻
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 08:39 AM   #16
Ukd X6
Private First Class
Saudi Arabia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks buddy

I am still suspicious about it.. can't tell though as the piece is damaged.. and the roof slope on the x6s is lower .. nothing visible on it as the fin tops the roof liner in height .. will definitely try an argument with the dealer .. and I hope it works 🤞🏻
Quick update..

I finally got the call to take my car in and they fixed it under the warranty.. they even changed the xdrive 40i emblem due to glue issues ..

Good fight and gesture paid off

Again .. check your screws and check your glues 😀 you will be surprised where the rattling noise comes from ..
Appreciate 2
Chas8283351.50
wrickem2101.00
      10-25-2021, 03:34 PM   #17
YuicyYumboYack
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quick update..

I finally got the call to take my car in and they fixed it under the warranty.. they even changed the xdrive 40i emblem due to glue issues ..

Good fight and gesture paid off

Again .. check your screws and check your glues 😀 you will be surprised where the rattling noise comes from ..
Nice! Glad it worked out.
Appreciate 1
Ukd X682.50