Captain
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, G20 330d, Brabus Smart

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [8.75]
2018 Brabus Smart  [0.00]
2021 BMW 330d  [0.00]
CarPlay and BMW Assistant confusion

I just picked my car up yesterday and have been loving getting acquainted with the features of iDrive 7 and Apple CarPlay. I can vouch for the fact that music definitely sounds better over CarPlay than bluetooth connected through iDrive. I'd like to keep using CarPlay for this reason, however when I try to prompt the car with voice commands "Hey BMW" etc, even pushing the microphone button on the steering wheel, the car tells me that function isn't available as long as CarPlay is connected...?!??

I prefer the BMW iDrive nav to the Apple Nav, and can't seem to bridge the proverbial gap. Any ideas?

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 02:04 PM   #2
Jagoffee
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5, 2019 Honda Pilot.

I have only 10 days of experience, but I initially struggled with the Car Play/Idrive. I use Car Play, so that I can hear and dictate outgoing text messages only.
When I hit the home button, my system reverts back to The BMW IDrive system. I am able to do everything including Navigation. The exception is that I have to push the Car Play at the top when I wish to make a call or text. I would not mind making calls using Idrive, but it looks like it forces me into Car Play.

Make sense?

I love my new X5. I am still figuring out all the features.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 05:21 PM   #3
DBV
Captain
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, G20 330d, Brabus Smart

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [8.75]
2018 Brabus Smart  [0.00]
2021 BMW 330d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagoffee View Post
When I hit the home button, my system reverts back to The BMW IDrive system. I am able to do everything including Navigation. The exception is that I have to push the Car Play at the top when I wish to make a call or text. I would not mind making calls using Idrive, but it looks like it forces me into Car Play.
Seems its a slight different solution to a slightly different preference. I just wish the whole "Hey BMW" thing would work the way it's been advertised. I like not having to push a button or adjust anything to do something I *should* be able to do by just speaking. Maybe a BMW Genius will chime in, as I'm sure there's a workaround.

And, yes, I'm loving the car too. Just a bit frustrated with the learning curve I guess
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 07:16 PM   #4
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Hey BMW should work fine. When doing it, in addition to the various commands you can start and stop navigation. In addition to destinations it will give you gas, restaurants, etc.

Try saying "Hey BMW", when it responds then say "Navigate to xyzzy". When using the button to summon, make sure you are doing a quick press since a long press calls CarPlay.
Appreciate 1
X5 45e1077.00
      10-23-2020, 09:58 PM   #5
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Hey BMW should work fine. When doing it, in addition to the various commands you can start and stop navigation. In addition to destinations it will give you gas, restaurants, etc.

Try saying "Hey BMW", when it responds then say "Navigate to xyzzy". When using the button to summon, make sure you are doing a quick press since a long press calls CarPlay.
Isn't "hello BMW" the standard text to activate voice control in the US? It is possible to change it.

In Belgium it is "hey Siri" and "hello BMW"

Maybe that's why it doesn't work all the time?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 10:40 AM   #6
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
Isn't "hello BMW" the standard text to activate voice control in the US? It is possible to change it.

That is correct, "Hello BMW" is standard but you can also set a personal wake word. The personal wake work does not replace "Hello BMW" but is in addition to it.
Appreciate 1
X5 45e1077.00
      10-24-2020, 10:50 AM   #7
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

That is correct, "Hello BMW" is standard but you can also set a personal wake word. The personal wake work does not replace "Hello BMW" but is in addition to it.
So if you didn't add it it won't work react on "hey BMW", only on "hello BMW" I thought this is why OP was having problems activating the function.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 12:48 PM   #8
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
So if you didn't add it it won't work react on "hey BMW", only on "hello BMW" I thought this is why OP was having problems activating the function.
"Hey BMW" and "Hello BMW" will both work. I always use "Hey BMW" but tested "Hello BMW" and it worked fine.

Last edited by TurtleBoy; 10-24-2020 at 12:54 PM.. Reason: Added clarification.
Appreciate 1
      10-30-2020, 04:49 AM   #9
Baron G15
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW G15 8 Series, Audi Q8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBV View Post
Seems its a slight different solution to a slightly different preference. I just wish the whole "Hey BMW" thing would work the way it's been advertised. I like not having to push a button or adjust anything to do something I *should* be able to do by just speaking. Maybe a BMW Genius will chime in, as I'm sure there's a workaround.

And, yes, I'm loving the car too. Just a bit frustrated with the learning curve I guess
BMW have changed the way the voice assistants work. It used to be that you could summon them both with either a short press or long press of the steering wheel button. I believe that they changed it with idrive software 11/19.

BMW deactivated the long press....so if you had BMW idrive as your NAV / music etc a long press would not summon Siri and vice versa. I was really annoyed because I liked idrive to take care of coms, NAV etc but, for music I way prefer Siri as it’s recognition engine is much better. (I wasn’t using CarPlay, just Siri to load up my music choices and playlists...which don’t work well with idrive)

I had the dealer contact Germany over this and the feedback was that it was confusing for some owners to have two assistants and so they decided to separate out the functionality...Siri on CarPlay and BMW assistant on idrive OS.

I even had a coder try and reinstate the functionality, their feedback was that the lines of code in the module related to the short / long steering wheel button press was no longer present.

I know your question relates to using voice activation to summon Siri / BMW assistant but, if you understand BMW’s implementation rationale you’ll see why what you’re trying to do doesn’t work. To validate my point, switch over to idrive (not CarPlay) and say ‘Hey BMW’...I’m sure you’ll find that the BMW assistant springs into action.

It’s annoying because I find the BMW Assistant to be very good, waaaay better than Audi’s version, who’s the automotive equivalent of the village idiot

Last edited by Baron G15; 10-30-2020 at 04:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 05:47 AM   #10
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron G15 View Post
BMW have changed the way the voice assistants work. It used to be that you could summon them both with either a short press or long press of the steering wheel button. I believe that they changed it with idrive software 11/19.

BMW deactivated the long press....so if you had BMW idrive as your NAV / music etc a long press would not summon Siri and vice versa. I was really annoyed because I liked idrive to take care of coms, NAV etc but, for music I way prefer Siri as it’s recognition engine is much better. (I wasn’t using CarPlay, just Siri to load up my music choices and playlists...which don’t work well with idrive)

I had the dealer contact Germany over this and the feedback was that it was confusing for some owners to have two assistants and so they decided to separate out the functionality...Siri on CarPlay and BMW assistant on idrive OS.

I even had a coder try and reinstate the functionality, their feedback was that the lines of code in the module related to the short / long steering wheel button press was no longer present.

I know your question relates to using voice activation to summon Siri / BMW assistant but, if you understand BMW’s implementation rationale you’ll see why what you’re trying to do doesn’t work. To validate my point, switch over to idrive (not CarPlay) and say ‘Hey BMW’...I’m sure you’ll find that the BMW assistant springs into action.

It’s annoying because I find the BMW Assistant to be very good, waaaay better than Audi’s version, who’s the automotive equivalent of the village idiot
Hmmm. If I understand you correctly, my behaviour is different to yours.

G05, i-step 07/2020.25, iOS 13.4, car configured for CP

With CP connected, and even on-screen, I can single press for BMW assistant, and long-press for Siri. Works every-time.

So I can start idrive navigation with a short-press voice command, and then any siri command with a long-press. Can also start idrive nav via favourite short cut buttons, even with CP active.

I don't use the i-drive only connected scenario principally as the BMW nav sucks in the UK, and it's not really necessary, so maybe that's the difference?
If you have an iPhone, maybe the solution is to actually use CP connected, even if you prefer idrive for most things? I find it a perfect blend, and can still use idrive NAV if required, even with CP front-of-house.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 06:52 AM   #11
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:

This is certainly not how mine and many others work. A short press calls the BMW assistant and a long press calls Siri.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 01:51 PM   #12
Baron G15
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post
Hmmm. If I understand you correctly, my behaviour is different to yours.

G05, i-step 07/2020.25, iOS 13.4, car configured for CP

With CP connected, and even on-screen, I can single press for BMW assistant, and long-press for Siri. Works every-time.

So I can start idrive navigation with a short-press voice command, and then any siri command with a long-press. Can also start idrive nav via favourite short cut buttons, even with CP active.

I don't use the i-drive only connected scenario principally as the BMW nav sucks in the UK, and it's not really necessary, so maybe that's the difference?
If you have an iPhone, maybe the solution is to actually use CP connected, even if you prefer idrive for most things? I find it a perfect blend, and can still use idrive NAV if required, even with CP front-of-house.
I’m talking about it the other way around....so I used to be able to use the idrive for everything (no CarPlay running) and via the steering wheel button, I could short press or say ‘hey BMW’ and the digital assistant would fire up....if I long pressed on the button it would activate Siri and I could ask Siri to play a song, it would play utilizing the BMW idrive GUI.....I believe this is a Bluetooth command to call up smartphone assistants, in much the same way that wireless headphones are able to activate smartphone assistants. This short/long press functionality is also described in the owners manual.

After 11/19 update this functionality was deactivated. Long pressing the steering wheel button whilst idrive is the primary interface (ie carplay not running) no longer calls up Siri / smartphone digital assistant. I believe Apple call this function Siri eyes free

I was particularly unhappy about it and went back to the dealer and asked for the function to be reactivated.....they went back to Germany and the response was the one I posted above about how it was confusing for owners to have two assistants.

Maybe this hasn’t been deactivated on X5’s but, it definitely has on G15 8 series....more than happy to make a little video to demo it. The only other explanation I can think of is that if the cabin is quite and you say ‘hey Siri’ it often works....because the phones mic has picked up the request, not the car’s mic.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 01:54 PM   #13
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I’m talking about it the other way around....so I used to be able to use the idrive for everything (no CarPlay running) and via the steering wheel button, I could short press or say ‘hey BMW’ and the digital assistant would fire up....if I long pressed on the button it would activate Siri and I could ask Siri to play a song, it would play utilizing the BMW idrive GUI.....I believe this is a Bluetooth command to call up smartphone assistants, in much the same way that wireless headphones are able to activate smartphone assistants. This short/long press functionality is also described in the owners manual.

After 11/19 update this functionality was deactivated. Long pressing the steering wheel button whilst idrive is the primary interface (ie carplay not running) no longer calls up Siri / smartphone digital assistant. I believe Apple call this function Siri eyes free

I was particularly unhappy about it and went back to the dealer and asked for the function to be reactivated.....they went back to Germany and the response was the one I posted above about how it was confusing for owners to have two assistants.

Maybe this hasn’t been deactivated on X5’s but, it definitely has on G15 8 series....more than happy to make a little video to demo it. The only other explanation I can think of is that if the cabin is quite and you say ‘hey Siri’ it often works....because the phones mic has picked up the request, not the car’s mic.
Yes I get that, but I suggested you connect CP rather than idrive and then you have the best of both worlds, and your short and long press will work.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 02:25 PM   #14
Baron G15
Private
Rep

Quote:
Yes I get that, but I suggested you connect CP rather than idrive and then you have the best of both worlds, and your short and long press will work.
In your suggested setup which system handles coms/phone... siri or idrive.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 02:26 PM   #15
Baron G15
Private
Rep

Quote:
This is certainly not how mine and many others work. A short press calls the BMW assistant and a long press calls Siri.
Here’s what I’m talking about

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1640028
Appreciate 1
      10-30-2020, 02:57 PM   #16
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
In your suggested setup which system handles coms/phone... siri or idrive.
Siri does.

Like you I also prefer the way idrive handels phone calls and searching in contacts etc with the Idrive controller. And I also don't like that I can't navigate to my IPhone contacts in idrive navigation anymore when in CP mode.

I am connected in CP mode to have Siri on the steering wheel button for reading texts. I couldn't see all songs in my playlist in idrive mode but in CP it is ok.

I would also prefer to be connected in Idrive mode with Siri on the wheel button.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 03:09 PM   #17
Baron G15
Private
Rep

Quote:
Siri does.

Like you I also prefer the way idrive handels phone calls and searching in contacts etc with the Idrive controller. And I also don't like that I can't navigate to my IPhone contacts in idrive navigation anymore when in CP mode.

I am connected in CP mode to have Siri on the steering wheel button for reading texts. I couldn't see all songs in my playlist in idrive mode but in CP it is ok.

I would also prefer to be connected in Idrive mode with Siri on the wheel button.
Yep....that’s what I wanted Siri for as well......Idrive doesn’t play nicely with playlists.....half of them show the list as empty, the others have about 20% of the songs....it was no big deal when you could summon Siri to load the playlist (all songs were there and viewable via the HUD).....now I have to pull over pick up the phone and scroll to the playlist to get it started...frustrating!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 03:51 PM   #18
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

After switching between the two for 18 months I've dumped idrive entirely now.

I use google and apple maps for navigation, YouTube music for songs, Plex/YouTube for video, Siri for calls and messaging (WhatsApp, Facebook, text) and it all integrates perfectly.

After living with the bmw idrive system since inception, it's been a tough breakup, but it just can't compete with CarPlay.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 05:06 PM   #19
Jagoffee
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5, 2019 Honda Pilot.

Am I correct in continuing to assume that one cannot dictate an outgoing text in Idrive? One must use Car Play? (Using an IPhone)
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 07:25 PM   #20
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Yes, that was removed in the Spring of 2019. I used to use Siri Eyes Free and when that was removed I went to CarPlay. I have never regretted that decision and should have done it earlier.
Appreciate 0