BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-23-2020, 11:09 PM   #45
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
Disney on average removes 26 gators a year from the lagoon and lots more from other properties. I looked into this and basically Disney has a gator farm they constantly have to manage. It’s central Florida so it’s to be expected. You get sharks at Cocoa beach and you get gators inland. Just about every year we get to see a Cape Canaveral launch. The timing always seems to work out that way in Feb. This year was a night launch of the UAL Atlas V rocket.
We have a sophomore at UCF, so we know the Orlando area well. She is disappointed she hasn't seen a gator in the wild yet lol. Signs everywhere.

At Torrey Pines this past summer they had a rattlesnake problem on the pathways to the ocean, hence the golf carts.

Our place in Carlsbad was nearly destroyed by the California wildfires and the Santa Ana winds in 1997.

Just need to be careful.

Your X5 made 2 trips to FL and only has 2500 miles. How is that possible?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 12:08 AM   #46
Ken6096
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M F95 2022

I just admire you the way you stand behind the X5 and how you support and defend it. I mean i have read your comment in many threads and love how you stand for your X5 which i love mine too!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 06:10 AM   #47
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewM3driver View Post
We have a sophomore at UCF, so we know the Orlando area well. She is disappointed she hasn't seen a gator in the wild yet lol. Signs everywhere.

At Torrey Pines this past summer they had a rattlesnake problem on the pathways to the ocean, hence the golf carts.

Our place in Carlsbad was nearly destroyed by the California wildfires and the Santa Ana winds in 1997.

Just need to be careful.

It’s the same here in PA with black bears. They are everywhere but few see them. As a hunter I have had some close calls and see their signs all the time in very residential areas. Most don’t know how common they are until they start feeding the birds in spring and then all of a sudden they have a “bear problem”.

My X5 lives a very pampered life as my luxury/trip vehicle so it doesn’t see a lot of everyday miles. I have lots of vehicles for different purposes that spreads out my yearly driving. I also retired early so no need to commute to anything other than fun hobbies.
It’s a big reason why I buy all my cars outright. Currently my X5 is over 5k+ miles now from returning.

Last edited by MystroX5; 02-24-2020 at 06:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 10:24 PM   #48
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep

If you are retired and have that kind of time, Definitely consider that trip out West. We took my brother, sister in law and their two kids and my sister and brother in law and their two kids with us for a true family excursion. The youngest child was 10, the oldest a junior in college.

I should say my sisters family are true Disney fanatics, lol. They have stayed in the Castle, they stay in the suite at the Floridian that all the celebs stay at... they have more DVC points than ANYONE needs. My nieces were PISSED I was dragging them to Cali rather than Disney Florida.

The kids had the time of their lives, on that itinerary I posted earlier in this thread.

I'm far from retired but my brother and I own two businesses that allow us a lot of time away from work. Quality time with the kids is SO important. Life does not come with a guarantee.

I like your X5. It looks great. I am surprised even with multiple vehicles that one does not see more miles in a year.

We've had a couple X5's. They are great vehicles. My "SAV" sports activity vehicle is a 4 door Ram 1500 with the Hemi. It is a very nice vehicle set up for towing, skiing and any other excursion we may need it for. My personal everyday used to be the 5 series. The last three have been M3's. As the new M is not out yet, I have an M340 on the boat as we speak. I was very impressed with a weekend long test drive. BMW did a great job with that particular car.

I like the air-cooled Porsches and just find them much more fun to own and drive than the newer cars. I have a near concours quality 993 (19,000 miles) and just picked up a higher milage 964 that my indy is going to turn into a pseudo outlaw Porsche.

I'm going to try to get you a photo uploaded in just a moment. I like the different type thread.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 10:35 PM   #49
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep

So this is my niece Morgan singing in the Grand Floridian lobby during one of our main building club level stays.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 11:43 AM   #50
RVAGuy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X5/M50i (ordered); &

Garage List
2014 BMW / 650  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewM3driver View Post

Just need to be careful.

It's the same here in PA with black bears. They are everywhere but few see them. As a hunter I have had some close calls and see their signs all the time in very residential areas. Most don't know how common they are until they start feeding the birds in spring and then all of a sudden they have a "bear problem".

My X5 lives a very pampered life as my luxury/trip vehicle so it doesn't see a lot of everyday miles. I have lots of vehicles for different purposes that spreads out my yearly driving. I also retired early so no need to commute to anything other than fun hobbies.
It's a big reason why I buy all my cars outright. Currently my X5 is over 5k+ miles now from returning.
MystroX5, I know you complain about the DC roads during your periodic trips to Florida, so I paid attention to the road quality during our just completed visit. I'm assuming you use the Maryland side of the beltway/495. I suggest you try the Virginia side on your next visit. The road quality is excellent, there is no toll and your wife will have an opportunity to spend a few hours shipping at Tysons Corner, a win-win-win.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 11:47 AM   #51
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAGuy View Post
MystroX5, I know you complain about the DC roads during your periodic trips to Florida, so I paid attention to the road quality during our just completed visit. I'm assuming you use the Maryland side of the beltway/495. I suggest you try the Virginia side on your next visit. The road quality is excellent, there is no toll and your wife will have an opportunity to spend a few hours shipping at Tysons Corner, a win-win-win.
Will do. Thanks for the tip. It use to be Richmond was a bit tough as well but they have since finished their road constructions and we went around it almost not even noticing. It was beautiful.

Any Floridians want to give me a tip to get from Daytona(i95) to the Disney Properties without going on i4 North Orlando??? That stretch is only the toughest part of Florida. Jacksonville and Daytona are beautiful. Even my massage therapist at the resort just laughed at me and said no one local uses i4. So there has to be a efficient way to get in from the from Daytona to south Orlando.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 11:59 AM   #52
RVAGuy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X5/M50i (ordered); &

Garage List
2014 BMW / 650  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAGuy View Post
Will do. Thanks for the tip. It use to be Richmond was a bit tough as well but they have since finished their road constructions and we went around it almost not even noticing. It was beautiful.

Any Floridians want to give me a tip to get from Daytona(i95) to the Disney Properties without going on i4 North Orlando??? That stretch is only the toughest. Jacksonville and Daytona are beautiful.
Regarding Richmond, there are two highway options going north/south: stay on 95 running through Richmond or use 295 which skirts just east of the airport. Coming south just past Kings Dominion you'll see signs advising of the option and travel time for each. Neither has a toll. I prefer 295 as less turns, less trucks and wider lanes.
South of a Richmond it's a racetrack.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 03:49 PM   #53
Timmer-Bimmer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Garage List
2020 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:

Any Floridians want to give me a tip to get from Daytona(i95) to the Disney Properties without going on i4 North Orlando??? That stretch is only the toughest part of Florida. Jacksonville and Daytona are beautiful. Even my massage therapist at the resort just laughed at me and said no one local uses i4. So there has to be a efficient way to get in from the from Daytona to south Orlando.
Speaking as a North Carolinian, there is a way. Actually there are two ways, one goes north of I4, one goes South of I4.
You will need a SunPass, the local Orlando Pass, or the EZ Pass (Which is reciprocal with SunPass)

Your car's GPS may tell you it is quicker on I4, and sometimes that is true. But you will also be in bumper to bumper traffic, go through Orlando construction, and arrive in a nervous state.

The Southern Route:
Get off at Sanford following the signs for Exit 101B SR-417. Follow 417 until you reach the Disney Exits. There is an exit at Epcot Center Drive. Also, there is an exit at Osceola Parkway, which will take you to World Drive and Animal Kingdom. The route will get you around virtually all traffic jams on I4.

There is also a northern route: It is mostly on FL-429 It involves some surface roads, but also some tolls. It is good if there is a traffic jam on I-4 but it clears just north of Orlando. It will put you back on I-4 well south of 417. You get on this route on an exit gate near Animal Kingdom. From Osceola Parkway, take W. Buena Vista Drive to Western Way. This will take you to 429, and let you GPS take over from here. You should rejoin I-4 somewhere near Maitland.

Living in the Northeast, I would assume you have an EZPass. If not, you can easily buy a SunPass transponder.
Appreciate 1
MystroX56243.00
      03-10-2020, 05:13 PM   #54
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Sorry, just finding this thread.

I'm getting my X7 to be a road trip warrior as well.

I always choose to get a condo off-property at WDW. Allows the family to have much more space with multiple bedrooms, living room, kitchen, etc. Save some $$$ too.

For those who haven't done it, if you appreciate Star Wars at all, Rise of the Resistance is hands-down the best overall ride in the world right now. Was just there a few weeks ago.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 06:07 PM   #55
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post

For those who haven't done it, if you appreciate Star Wars at all, Rise of the Resistance is hands-down the best overall ride in the world right now. Was just there a few weeks ago.
Yeah, go ahead and rub it in, rub it in
Appreciate 0