BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-09-2021, 11:03 AM   #1
X5MC_LI
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5MC

Front Seats Backrest Memory

Guys I would appreciate if someone could help me with this.
I have both front seats programmed with upper portion of backrest hugging the person. When either of front doors open, the upper portion of backrest unfolds and when you close the door, it doesn't return to the "pre-opening" the door position. It's the only part of the entire seat that makes this move upon opening the door.
It's probably some simple setting that needs to be changed but neither the dealer nor I can figure it out.
Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 11:27 AM   #2
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Silly question here but do you have the key programmed and when you enter it shows that saved person? My seats always return when I enter with my key.... Just a shot but other than that I would have no idea.
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 12:02 PM   #3
X5MC_LI
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post
Silly question here but do you have the key programmed and when you enter it shows that saved person? My seats always return when I enter with my key.... Just a shot but other than that I would have no idea.
Yes. Key is programmed.
The problem I'm actually referring to, occurs While the car is on and you just simply open the door.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 04:01 PM   #4
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Went out driving today and my seats adjust fully to my last setting when I re-enter. Sorry no help here from me.
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 05:24 PM   #5
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5MC_LI View Post
I have both front seats programmed with upper portion of backrest hugging the person. When either of front doors open, the upper portion of backrest unfolds and when you close the door, it doesn't return to the "pre-opening" the door position. It's the only part of the entire seat that makes this move upon opening the door.
It's probably some simple setting that needs to be changed but neither the dealer nor I can figure it out.
Thanks in advance.
Have you tested with being buckled in and then shift to DRIVE?

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 06:32 PM   #6
X5MC_LI
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
Quote:
Thanks in advance.
Have you tested with being buckled in and then shift to DRIVE?
I have not and don't understand how that would affect/resolve my issue.
What I'm referring to happens Simply upon opening the door (while the car is running).
It's not after I unbuckle or do anything else.
I open the door, Upper back rest Unfolds.
I close the door, the Upper back rest stays unfolded. The only way for me to get it back how it was prior to opening the door is pressing my memory 1 button. Very very annoying.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 08:01 PM   #7
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
What I'm referring to happens Simply upon opening the door (while the car is running).
I close the door, the Upper back rest stays unfolded. The only way for me to get it back how it was prior to opening the door is pressing my memory 1 button. Very very annoying.
For example, BMW vehicles with multi-function seating (Comfort, Luxury, M Multi-function) the side bolsters temporarily open fully for ease of entry/exit and return to memory position when seatbelt is in place and shift to Drive.

Which is why I asked using the above scenario besides just pressing memory. Feel free to be frustrated with someone who was attempting to assist you with troubleshooting.

Last edited by Auricom; 01-09-2021 at 08:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 08:47 PM   #8
X5MC_LI
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
For example, BMW vehicles with multi-function seating (Comfort, Luxury, M Multi-function) the side bolsters temporarily open fully for ease of entry/exit and return to memory position when seatbelt is in place and shift to Drive.

Which is why I asked using the above scenario besides just pressing memory. Feel free to be frustrated with someone who was attempting to assist you with troubleshooting.
My apologies if it came out that way.
This issue is driving me crazy but I will def try your suggestion even though I don't understand if belt was unbuckled before the unfolding why would it have to be buckled for it to be folded to pre-opening door position.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 02:02 AM   #9
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

My apologies if it came out that way.
This issue is driving me crazy but I will def try your suggestion even though I don't understand if belt was unbuckled before the unfolding why would it have to be buckled for it to be folded to pre-opening door position.
Does your steering wheel go up too?

The easy entry / exit function raises and retracts the steering wheel and opens the side bolsters.

If the seatbelt is buckled the car thinks you are probably not getting out of your car even if the door is openend and the function is not activated.

I have the function too. I think it will only go to the memory position when I start the car and reattach the seat belt.

What could also be happening is sport to comfort mode switch. The bolsters can be set to a tighter sport mode position activated by putting it in sport mode and deactivated by putting it in comfort mode. I presume it doesn't switch to comfort mode by opening the door? Haven't tested that.
Appreciate 0