BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-17-2019, 11:02 AM   #23
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
It will look like crap in a year or so.....

I have clearplex installed in our SQ5 in 2014 before most people ever heard of it. It took some brutal rocks that even damaged the film but the windshield is just fine.

In WA we clearly use our wipers alot and the film gets scratched no matter what you do or how often you apply the stuff they give you.

Eventhough it now looks ugly from outside of the car, you can not really tell much of a difference from inside the car.

In WA insurance companies only cover the repairs of windshields and you have to pay out of pocket if you want to replace it.

I have also heard some nightmare stories about sensors acting up after a windshield replacement which I did not want to deal with.

I recently visited the place that install the clearplex and they informed me that then no longer carry it due to quality issues.

Their life time warranty is also crap if you read the fine line. They recommend you replacing it every year

I can try to take some pics to see how it looks like if you folks want to see it.

Overall, would I install this on a car that I own? The answer is, Yes. Unfortunately I can not find a place in Seattle area that still installs this thing.
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 06:09 PM   #24
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTG View Post
It will look like crap in a year or so.....

I have clearplex installed in our SQ5 in 2014 before most people ever heard of it. It took some brutal rocks that even damaged the film but the windshield is just fine.

In WA we clearly use our wipers alot and the film gets scratched no matter what you do or how often you apply the stuff they give you.

Eventhough it now looks ugly from outside of the car, you can not really tell much of a difference from inside the car.

In WA insurance companies only cover the repairs of windshields and you have to pay out of pocket if you want to replace it.

I have also heard some nightmare stories about sensors acting up after a windshield replacement which I did not want to deal with.

I recently visited the place that install the clearplex and they informed me that then no longer carry it due to quality issues.

Their life time warranty is also crap if you read the fine line. They recommend you replacing it every year

I can try to take some pics to see how it looks like if you folks want to see it.

Overall, would I install this on a car that I own? The answer is, Yes. Unfortunately I can not find a place in Seattle area that still installs this thing.
So they won't replace your windshield under the comprehensive even if it completely cracks from a rock? You can repair that it an impact cratering the glass. I've had both happen to me at one point or another
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 08:18 PM   #25
Wichita
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

Your insurance company probably offers glass coverage which will delete the deductible, check into it. I think they can repair up to a 1-inch crack, once past that it will spread the first time you wash it on a hot day and it eligible for replacement.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 05:16 AM   #26
twinturbomann
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 M50i, 2022 X6 X40i

Utimately, I got this so I don’t get annoying tiny pits in the windshield that build up over time. I’ll have to report back after a year of so with how it’s been holding up. I will def make sure i put on the monthly clear-x. Thx for the info AndroidRobot!
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2019, 07:23 AM   #27
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbomann View Post
Utimately, I got this so I don’t get annoying tiny pits in the windshield that build up over time. I’ll have to report back after a year of so with how it’s been holding up. I will def make sure i put on the monthly clear-x. Thx for the info AndroidRobot!
I have a few already but it's inevitable here in Texas so I'll probably be on windshield 2 later this year
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 07:59 AM   #28
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Last time I had to replace a windshield, my insurance would replace it, but only through Safelite. Safelite gave me two quotes, the first was using their glass, the second OEM glass. I had to pay out of pocket the difference between the two. Ended up paying about $1200 to replace my windshield, $500 deductible plus $700 difference between Safelite glass and OEM.
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2019, 02:13 PM   #29
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wichita View Post
Your insurance company probably offers glass coverage which will delete the deductible, check into it. I think they can repair up to a 1-inch crack, once past that it will spread the first time you wash it on a hot day and it eligible for replacement.
Not in WA. If you have a cracked windshield, you do a claim, pay the deductible and get it replaced....but then you have a claim on your record.

They will happily sell you a separate windshield insurance which in the long-run defeats the purpose if you only do a claim once in a while.

Also, like someone stated, it is a PIA to get the insurance company to pay for OEM glass as well.

This stuff is well worth the $$$ on that front.
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired
Appreciate 0