BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-17-2019, 11:52 AM   #1
Millennium68
Rep
Drives: Bmw X5 2016

3rd row and other thoughts

Hi, I am a long BMW customer, finishing lease on a 3rd X5 and always ordered it with 3rd row as a convenient. This time BMW decided to f*** up us. BMW added 3rd row onl for February and then removed it as an option from X5. Why? Does BMW think that we customers in US have to order new X7 if we need it? Do they think that we choose car only on option basis and not price point? Some of us cannot afford to pay much more. Btw, went to BMW of Canada just to check and 3rd row is available there! I do not think it is good way for BMW, advertise options, add them to later time than release and then remove it. I did not want to order Q7 as it looks boring outside and unfortunately could not wait for new 2020 GLE to come - Mercedes looks more thoughtful and added 3rd row now. So i had to order X5 without option I wanted but next time I may consider GLE instead!
Also, what happened with exterior and interior color options? Where are more colors? Why red interior is available on x6 but not x5? Why no grey color? Why no silver or other interesting colors for exterior? Too busy with electronics? Hope BMW will start thinking about loyal customers more in the future!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 11:59 AM   #2
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Price point between the X5 and X7 isnt that great. These are luxury/performance SUV's at this level. Its a different world now that every German car brand now has 2 or 3 SUV levels lower to establish price point shoppers. This was not the case years back. Thank god BMW didnt compromise any more like MB 2020 GLE by throwing in a 4 banger as a entry level power plant.
Europeans really dont do true three row people haulers that great anyway. Its out of their comfort zone. The GLS is a dinosaur and wasnt that great when it was new. It sold because of buyers being Eurocentric and dismissing the Suburban, etc...

Last edited by MystroX5; 03-17-2019 at 12:06 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2019, 03:16 PM   #3
Kotkot
Private
Rep
Drives: M4

what BMW did was fucked up. taking my order mid Feb and pushing production to May.. essentially forcing me to cancel it. and Price point between X5 and X7 is significant. And X7 loses to GLS on utility aspect hands down in my opinion. someone might not care.. but I did. yes.. I still ordered X5.. but my wife will be getting GLE or GLS when her lease on 3rd row runs out. So my family is going from 2 BMW family for past 20 years.. to BMW and MB.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 06:07 PM   #4
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotkot View Post
what BMW did was fucked up. taking my order mid Feb and pushing production to May.. essentially forcing me to cancel it. and Price point between X5 and X7 is significant. And X7 loses to GLS on utility aspect hands down in my opinion. someone might not care.. but I did. yes.. I still ordered X5.. but my wife will be getting GLE or GLS when her lease on 3rd row runs out. So my family is going from 2 BMW family for past 20 years.. to BMW and MB.
$14k difference isn't that large when you consider what the X7 gets standard vs an X5. The 3rd row isn't even that useful in the X5 unless you have very small children. I don't see why this is a big deal yet MB using a 4 banger isn't. For the record the 3rd row is still offered so throwing a tantrum over it is pointless
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 06:39 PM   #5
Mjbmw1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

Its strange from online they are removed but I just ordered on from my dealer and will be here late may. I am using Bavarian military sales
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 07:44 PM   #6
Smithcinema
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 x5

Also did not order the 3rd row this time even the kids don't want to sit back there any more it's so dam small and my wife says it's a death trap test drove the X7 to replace my gl and even the X7 3rd row is way to small compared to the gl or Lexus lx or the qx80 bmw dropped the ball this time and lost my money , ended up liking the new x5 very much and traded in my 2017 but no 3rd row this time
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 08:25 PM   #7
Kotkot
Private
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
$14k difference isn't that large when you consider what the X7 gets standard vs an X5. The 3rd row isn't even that useful in the X5 unless you have very small children. I don't see why this is a big deal yet MB using a 4 banger isn't. For the record the 3rd row is still offered so throwing a tantrum over it is pointless
14k is significant. Pushing prod date back by 2 month is significant as well. For me. Being 2 month without car is not acceptable. To each it’s own. Thanks god we have a choice. Bmw lost my wife as customer.. that’s all there is to it. Gle450 seems like a good option for her right now.

I saw x7 in person and rear luggage space is very small when rear seats are up. Same as x5. All the extra space went for leg room. As much as I wanted x7, to me it looses on Utility aspect.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 09:02 PM   #8
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotkot View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
14k is significant. Pushing prod date back by 2 month is significant as well. For me. Being 2 month without car is not acceptable. To each it’s own. Thanks god we have a choice. Bmw lost my wife as customer.. that’s all there is to it. Gle450 seems like a good option for her right now.

I saw x7 in person and rear luggage space is very small when rear seats are up. Same as x5. All the extra space went for leg room. As much as I wanted x7, to me it looses on Utility aspect.
$14k is like the difference between a 40i and 50i (it's actually $15k) and you get less with that change than going from an X5 40i to the X7 40i. Well the GLE isn't very attractive in any sense but to each their own.

Do you need a 3rd row? If no then I don't see the big deal behind losing such a trivial addition. There's virtually no space back there for any children over the age of 5. Legroom? Um no, it has the same middle legroom as the X5 (+/- 1in), yes they can move forwards and backwards but generally speaking it's made for a family who actually uses the 3rd row which has more cargo room than the X5. If I needed the X7 I would've bought one, seeing how I have no children not will have any it was out of the question.
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 09:20 PM   #9
Millennium68
Rep
Drives: Bmw X5 2016

I am leasing the car and X7 is 25-30% more even without M-sport package (somewhere around $150-200 a month). For someone is not a lot, but for some is. The with to push people to X7 is not a reason to put some options on hold. Yes the size of the 3rd row is small, but my wife 5.7 and slim size could easily fit there as well as some kids. As I said, I am not using 3rd row on a constant basis, but sometime it is useful. Also, when I said about GLE, I did not mean to get GLE350 (who need 4 cal) but GLE450 which is in some way a comparable to X5. Everyone now is adding 3rd row even Lexus RX350. So, I am thinking BMW is just do not care about their loyal customers and it was my point. Same argument I can use in regards to small number of colors.
Someone in reply above said that he still was able to order 3rd row. I talked to several dealers in Tristate area and was told that even some of the orders that were placed in February can be not only delayed but cancelled by BMW because of 3rd row option. So, not sure who is right or wrong here. I still order X5, but surely in 3 years will see - it would be more options between carmakers and BMW had lost some respect from me (I know they do not care). And I am sure, some customers will move to other brands who will be on market couple months later or can wait.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 07:59 AM   #10
JFU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7

Isn't the 3rd row options being delayed/cancelled because of supply issues with the 3rd row seats? BMW probably did not anticipate how popular the 3rd row seats would be, and ran into ramp up issues with the supplier. For what it's worth, I had ordered the 3rd row seats originally, but cancelled after the delay/hold.

I personally don't believe that BMW did this on purpose. If their original intent was to force people into buying the X7, then they would have had no need to release a third row option for the G05 X5. Same thing is happening with the laser lights, as well as the M sport package for the X7. These options turned out to be far more popular that BMW had anticipated and they don't have the parts to meet the demand.

However a point can be made for their inadequate planning and communications with regards to these parts shortages. Some of those communication issues might come down to the frontline dealership people who set unrealistic expectations.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 07:59 AM   #11
Gcsave
Rep
Drives: X5M

Ordered X5 40i Sport with 3rd row, and now with production delayed until at least May, I test drove the X7 and then a X5 back to back. Relative to the X5, the X7 is much more luxurious, even for a modestly equipped one (MSRP ~$86k). The leather dash, air suspension, power rear shades, huge moonroof, etc. it also hustles for a giant SUV. That said, the X5 was nimbler and more tossable. My order is a fairly loaded X5 for under 80k MSRP whereas a barebones X7 was at least 84k. In the end, I’d rather have a fun car to drive for less money with the emergency capacity for hauling 2 extra kids, than pay more for all that capacity up front. I hope BMW honors those orders for 3rd row X5’s.
Appreciate 1
Kotkot28.50
      03-19-2019, 08:23 AM   #12
Ilyam5
Major
Rep
Drives: 06 M3

Looked at GLE with few options 75k - it is not even close to x5 40 on quality and feel. Car feels and looks cheap
MB is having major delay issues. I was told 5 months to order the loaded one. For 92 k - no way im waiting. Value is not there
I have x5 50 for that money that will do circles around gle450 and amg 53( already outpaced before its even out)
X7 is in another league compared to old tech GLS. Gls feels like a minivan
Seriously for 3 row experience nothing beats loaded sienna for 50k 😁
Appreciate 1
MystroX56289.50
      03-19-2019, 08:46 AM   #13
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilyam5 View Post
Looked at GLE with few options 75k - it is not even close to x5 40 on quality and feel. Car feels and looks cheap
MB is having major delay issues. I was told 5 months to order the loaded one. For 92 k - no way im waiting. Value is not there
I have x5 50 for that money that will do circles around gle450 and amg 53( already outpaced before its even out)
X7 is in another league compared to old tech GLS. Gls feels like a minivan
Seriously for 3 row experience nothing beats loaded sienna for 50k 😁
Your right. The GLE 53 AMG is slower 0-60mph than the X5 40i. How much slower is they GLE 450??? Ugh... I feel MB may be going the Audi path and lowering or dropping any desire to compete for the performance/luxury SUV buyer. On the plus side, housewife’s will love their new cute and non threatening MB, Lexus,and Audi SUV’s.
Appreciate 0