BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-13-2023, 07:34 AM   #1
PNWM50I
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21' x5 M50i

Eventuri F95 intake for M50i engine

Hey everyone, i recently purchased the F95 eventuri intake in hopes I could get it to fit. The problem is what I suspected and that is this…once you get the intake assembly planted in the OEM anchor points the unit sits about a half inch too far forward of the turbo inlet tubes coming out of the engine. I’m trying to put a video on YouTube to describe this. The difference is is enough to throw off the smooth flow of air that would (hypothetically) be coming into the engine. The second challenge is that the turbo inlets are smaller than the brackets supplied which means the rubber bellows which attach the intake to the inlet tube won’t sit and seal properly unless you can find smaller ones. I’d say about half inch in diameter smaller than the rubber bellows it came with. Now I can see the subtle differences in how they get 617hp out of the S63 unit.

I had ordered Dinan bellows from their F95 intake in hopes it would be more flexible than the eventuri ones. They are and could technically get the job done despite the misalignment (intake to turbo inlet) if you’re ok with it. However, you’ll have to be also be OK with the rubber bellow sealing points overlapping if you can get it to fit. Another member used the F95 bellows for modifying the Dinan Intake to fit the M50i with this method.

Appreciate 3
r33_RGSport12976.50
1Boxer34.50
      10-13-2023, 07:58 AM   #2
PNWM50I
Lieutenant
Rep

See pic regarding fitment of rubber bellow below. These are the ones I ordered and as you can see, they are bigger than the turbo inlet and will bunch as you seal it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12976.50
      10-13-2023, 08:49 AM   #3
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Great work.
A thought, maybe F95 turbo inlet will make it work?
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2023, 09:07 AM   #4
PNWM50I
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Great work.
A thought, maybe F95 turbo inlet will make it work?
Yes, I checked with the same member who fitted the Dinan Intake pictured above. He purchased F95 turbo inlets but it required too much modification to make it fit.

I’m going to give it on more shot before I throw in the towel. Thinking I will add / wrap around the turbo inlet lip some material or heat resistance (adhesive backed) insulation to make the lip larger in diameter so that the rubber bellow might fit more smoothly around the turbo inlet lip. Of course, I’d trim this very carefully.
Appreciate 3
r33_RGSport12976.50
yoandry695.50
      10-13-2023, 11:14 AM   #5
postbox1918
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWM50I View Post
Hey everyone, i recently purchased the F95 eventuri intake in hopes I could get it to fit. The problem is what I suspected and that is this…once you get the intake assembly planted in the OEM anchor points the unit sits about a half inch too far forward of the turbo inlet tubes coming out of the engine. I’m trying to put a video on YouTube to describe this. The difference is is enough to throw off the smooth flow of air that would (hypothetically) be coming into the engine. The second challenge is that the turbo inlets are smaller than the brackets supplied which means the rubber bellows which attach the intake to the inlet tube won’t sit and seal properly unless you can find smaller ones. I’d say about half inch in diameter smaller than the rubber bellows it came with. Now I can see the subtle differences in how they get 617hp out of the S63 unit.

I had ordered Dinan bellows from their F95 intake in hopes it would be more flexible than the eventuri ones. They are and could technically get the job done despite the misalignment (intake to turbo inlet) if you’re ok with it. However, you’ll have to be also be OK with the rubber bellow sealing points overlapping if you can get it to fit. Another member used the F95 bellows for modifying the Dinan Intake to fit the M50i with this method.

https://youtu.be/iwZvCMmDmos?si=A0_ZMDsvwuwiFHV0
Quote:
Yes, I checked with the same member who fitted the Dinan Intake pictured above. He purchased F95 turbo inlets but it required too much modification to make it fit.

I’m going to give it on more shot before I throw in the towel. Thinking I will add / wrap around the turbo inlet lip some material or heat resistance (adhesive backed) insulation to make the lip larger in diameter so that the rubber bellow might fit more smoothly around the turbo inlet lip. Of course, I’d trim this very carefully.
Great work bro , wish you good luck.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2023, 11:20 AM   #6
toronto_m50i
Wawaweewa
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
2020 BMW X5 M50i  [10.00]
Quote:
See pic regarding fitment of rubber bellow below. These are the ones I ordered and as you can see, they are bigger than the turbo inlet and will bunch as you seal it.
so the pic you posted here is my engine bay from the looks of it. This was right after i had installed the bellows and had to make do with some bunching until i fixed that issue. What i had noticed is that the passenger side rubber bellow is smaller in diameter than the driver side. I ended up ordering two passenger side bellows and it fits great without any bunching
Attached Images

Last edited by toronto_m50i; 10-13-2023 at 11:21 AM.. Reason: add details
Appreciate 1
      10-13-2023, 11:23 AM   #7
toronto_m50i
Wawaweewa
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

the m50i inlets have a temp sensor port in them whereas the f95 do not. also the angles of the f95 inlets are impossible to fit in the m50i
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2023, 11:28 AM   #8
toronto_m50i
Wawaweewa
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
i wonder if you were to use the airbox mounting bracket for the f95, if the angles would match up better? i'd cross reference the part numbers to see if they're different
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2023, 12:40 PM   #9
PNWM50I
Lieutenant
Rep

I’ve ordered two new rubber bellows (intake hose) with smaller diameters of 3.5 inches on each end. The inlet is slightly larger at about 3.66-3.7 inches. I’d rather stretch the inlet ends of the bellow than have bunching because it is too large again. The sizing of the Dinan is just too far off. One end fits pretty nicely but the other end of the bellow is larger in diameter and is simply too large for either the eventuri intake or turbo inlet if you try and reverse it with fitment.

I’ll have an update on Tuesday after the new hose pieces come in.

Last edited by PNWM50I; 10-13-2023 at 05:29 PM..
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2023, 05:27 PM   #10
PNWM50I
Lieutenant
Rep

After trying new hoses to connect the inlet tubes to intake unit, I’m unfortunately giving up on trying to make it work. You really can’t readjust the placement of the intake until because it will throw everything else off like the placement and fitment of the rest of the unit. I wish IND had just been straight instead of using word salad to describe the fitment challenge. Bottom line, due to the angle of the turbo inlets, the unit won’t align properly with its design. Bummer!
Appreciate 1
yoandry695.50
      10-16-2023, 06:06 PM   #11
Jszlaga
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
After trying new hoses to connect the inlet tubes to intake unit, I’m unfortunately giving up on trying to make it work. You really can’t readjust the placement of the intake until because it will throw everything else off like the placement and fitment of the rest of the unit. I wish IND had just been straight instead of using word salad to describe the fitment challenge. Bottom line, due to the angle of the turbo inlets, the unit won’t align properly with its design. Bummer!
Well, that’s too bad. Thank you though for being the guinea pig for all of us M50i owners.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2023, 10:49 AM   #12
PNWM50I
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jszlaga View Post
Well, that’s too bad. Thank you though for being the guinea pig for all of us M50i owners.
Thanks, just shipped the eventuri out to its new owner and couldn't help but think about the money I lost. Was it worth a shot? Yes because the M50 platform really gets no love from aftermarket manufacturers.

Looks like I am going to try DINAN since I know this can be fitted.
Appreciate 4
      10-17-2023, 04:25 PM   #13
Jszlaga
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks, just shipped the eventuri out to its new owner and couldn't help but think about the money I lost. Was it worth a shot? Yes because the M50 platform really gets no love from aftermarket manufacturers.

Looks like I am going to try DINAN since I know this can be fitted.
So Dinan CAI will work on our platform?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2023, 11:20 PM   #14
PNWM50I
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
So Dinan CAI will work on our platform?
Yes, Dinan will fit if you make some adjustments.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2023, 06:59 AM   #15
Jszlaga
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yes, Dinan will fit if you make some adjustments.
That’s good to know. So why isn’t everyone doing the Dinan CAI? Is it not that great?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2023, 12:59 PM   #16
yoandry
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3CX & X5 M50i

Quote:
That’s good to know. So why isn’t everyone doing the Dinan CAI? Is it not that great?
mmm Im not a fan on this Dinan intake. How big its and how the cold air has to go through the top of the turbos where is the engine hottest part, is a big no no. OEM and Eventuri gets the air through the sides. I mean it could be minimal impact but not paying that money to find out.lol
      10-19-2023, 09:20 PM   #17
PNWM50I
Lieutenant
Rep

I’ve ordered the Dinan and it should arrive next week. It’s not cheap but it’s gorgeous and will improve performance no matter how minimal it might be. Based on the KIES Motorsport youtube video, a whoosh sound should be audible. I’ve wanted an exhaust or intake for the longest time and decided intake won’t take more $$ to get custom fitted va an exhaust system for an F95.

One last pic to show how far off eventuri was.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      10-20-2023, 09:23 AM   #18
PNWM50I
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by toronto_m50i View Post
i wonder if you were to use the airbox mounting bracket for the f95, if the angles would match up better? i'd cross reference the part numbers to see if they're different
Good suggestion. The intake unit needed to sit further back to better align. However, this is not possible because the intake housing cannot move further back due to the strut bar. I tried to align it better but could not due to the strut. I think the inlet tubes are slightly more forward on the F95 engine as they exit out of the turbos.
Appreciate 1
      10-20-2023, 09:36 AM   #19
j_LaSalle_561
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Comp, 2023 X5 M50

Quote:
I’ve ordered the Dinan and it should arrive next week. It’s not cheap but it’s gorgeous and will improve performance no matter how minimal it might be. Based on the KIES Motorsport youtube video, a whoosh sound should be audible. I’ve wanted an exhaust or intake for the longest time and decided intake won’t take more $$ to get custom fitted va an exhaust system for an F95.

One last pic to show how far off eventuri was.

Do you know what mods need to be done for the Dinan on the M50? I have a 2023 and want to add it as well. TIA
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2023, 11:59 PM   #20
PNWM50I
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_LaSalle_561 View Post
Do you know what mods need to be done for the Dinan on the M50? I have a 2023 and want to add it as well. TIA
Mine arrives Thursday. The other forum member said he (1) had to trim excess plastic inside the OEM intake housing to make the Dinan filter fit,(2) order an extra rubber “bellow” for better fitment on both turbo inlets (passenger side part #, see parts listed on Dinan website for the F95 intake under technical info), and some bending of the anchor bracket. I’ve already got the extra parts so the only thing nervous about is adjusting the anchor bracket which holds the intake unit in place. I’ve looked up the same bracket part for the F95 but it’s the same part for the M50i so that won’t fix any issues.
Appreciate 1
      10-23-2023, 01:21 PM   #21
toronto_m50i
Wawaweewa
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Mine arrives Thursday. The other forum member said he (1) had to trim excess plastic inside the OEM intake housing to make the Dinan filter fit,(2) order an extra rubber “bellow” for better fitment on both turbo inlets (passenger side part #, see parts listed on Dinan website for the F95 intake under technical info), and some bending of the anchor bracket. I’ve already got the extra parts so the only thing nervous about is adjusting the anchor bracket which holds the intake unit in place. I’ve looked up the same bracket part for the F95 but it’s the same part for the M50i so that won’t fix any issues.
i think why i had to adjust the bracket, is because the oem lower intake box that the dinan intake retains is slightly different than the m50i intake box. Visually its angled slightly differently. I think that may be the key to making this work.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2023, 02:15 PM   #22
PNWM50I
Lieutenant
Rep

Yes, that makes sense in theory. However, even if I were to purchase the F95 intake assembly (roughly another $1k) from the dealer or online I might still run into the issue of the Dinan intake outlet not aligning with the M50i turbo inlets. It is possible that it could be more offline than using the M50I intake because both the Dinan cover + F95 intake box are setup for the F95 turbo inlet location.

Will see what I can do without ordering the assembly.
Appreciate 0