BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-08-2023, 03:49 PM   #1
DCHS
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mustang Bullitt, DHG ++

Remote diagnosis from service center?

I had a Check Engine Light come on, but no other messages. Dealer service telephone rep said they could not diagnose or even get the error code remotely. Required that I bring X5 to service center, a 130mi round trip. Sooo, is that true, a service center cannot remotely get an error code from the vehicle?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2023, 04:56 PM   #2
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

I have never heard of a dealer doing it remotely but one would think it could be possible at least for someone at BMW to do it.
      07-08-2023, 05:33 PM   #3
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

This is where a BMW capable OBD II reader might be useful...while under warranty, you wouldn't fix it, but it would give the dealer an idea of what's going on. While any OBD II reader can read some codes, one that understands BMW can obtain more detailed information. Note, some places will read the codes for you without charge, at least around me, so you could check that out.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2023, 06:58 PM   #4
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
this isn't the first time i've read someone's had an error notification followed by a phone call from their dealer/service advisor. pretty neat...i think
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2023, 08:25 AM   #5
DCHS
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mustang Bullitt, DHG ++

OP here ... sorry, clarification needed I think... dealer/service did not call me, I called them to ask about CE light. Thats when they said they couldn't get code. But I was thinking that with the myBMW app, the next logical thing to do would be to at least use that connection to see what's going on....

I tried three different auto parts stores for an OBD readout - none could do it, claiming they didn't have current OBD s/w for BMW.

Anyone know of an OBD to purchase that is compatible with the LCI X5??
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2023, 09:00 AM   #6
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Something is wrong or there’s a misunderstanding of OBD II and the Check Eng light.

OBD II is a federal mandate that started in 1996. It is a standard that crosses all car manufacturers for connection and diagnostics for the car’s emissions. The CEL (check eng light) , SES (service eng soon) light, or MIL (malfunction indicator light) is illuminated when any sensor associated with the car’s emissions detects a fault TWICE.

The OBD II system is NOT the same thing as the car’s Check Control system or CBS (condition based service) system. So it is probably true that BMW dealerships do not receive info from your vehicle for these fault codes because most are NOT manufacturer specific…but simply the generic OBD II fault codes.

A local shop should be able to pull any generic OBD II code that illuminates your CEL…which is a federal mandate. What they can’t pull without a special tool would be a manufacturer specific code. But if the CEL light illuminated…that should fall under the OBD II federal mandate.

There are some newer fault codes that have come about like the introduction of the grill shutters. These affect the air supply (which can affect the car’s emissions since air/fuel/ignition is what the car’s emissions system is monitoring)…and grill shutters weren’t being used back in 1996.

If you don’t have a generic OBD II reader/scanner…I would go back to your local auto parts store and ask if they can pull the OBD II code for you. It will probably be the generic 5 digit DTC (diagnostic trouble code). Since they have been around since 1996….unless it is a rare code…you can usually google the 5 digit code (ie BMW Pxxxx {where x=the 5 digit DTC}) and get a hit about it.

Or you can use this site to see what sensor or area that registered the fault: https://bmwfault.codes/

Take note of the 3rd and 4th paragraphs in the info below:

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 1
      07-09-2023, 09:08 AM   #7
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

BTW, I have an old generic Autel OBD II reader that I have had since my old E chassis BMWs…and it still can read generic OBD II codes on my F chassis BMWs. It still can spit out a 5 digit P code (DTC). The 1996 OBD II mandate hasn’t changed and all cars still must meet its requirement.

And I also have the Bimmerlink app which can also pull codes but will display the BMW specific hex (6 digit) codes.

Again if you don’t have a generic OBD II reader/scanner…check if you have any family or friends that have one…if not…go back to one of your local auto part stores (like AutoZone/O’Reilly’s/Pep Boys/Advanced Auto/etc) and have them hook up their generic OBD II scanner to the OBD II port in your driver’s footwell and see what code they can pull.

Again, it does NOT have to be a BMW specific hex code…your CEL light illuminated thus the OBD II generic code should be registered since the light illuminated…you can use the generic 5 digit DTC (diagnostic trouble code) to find what sensor set the fault code.

Just remember to write the DTC down or have them print out what they scanned. You can then go to the internet and do a search…or post back to the forum what codes they found.

The chart below shows what a generic OBD II scanner can pull in regards to the 5 digit DTC:

Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 07-09-2023 at 09:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2023, 12:50 PM   #8
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

There's a huge amount of BMW specific codes that can be read with a scan tool that's compatible and up to date, but any OBD II reader can get the generic codes. THe generic code may or may not lead to enough information to isolate the actual fault, whereas the BMW specific codes add more detail that can help in the diagnosis. Certain faults are required to light the CHECK ENGINE lamp, but BMW may add some parameters that only their reader can detect.
Appreciate 0