BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-10-2023, 01:42 PM   #1
socialpro1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Audi, Bmw, Porsche

Back in a BMW! 2023 X5 M50i Dravit Grey - Write Up Inside!

Long story short I've been an Audi driver last 10+ years. Then I decided to throw a hairpin in it all and try American and picked up a '22 Aviator this January. While the car wasn't bad, it's just not for me (many reasons why I dislike it). Probably first and last American car for me.

So back to Germans I went and considered X5 and X7 40 and 50i. Also debated an X5M and an Audi SQ7.

I rented an SQ7 for a weekend and was severely impressed with that car. Drives like a taller wagon that's on steroids more so than an SUV. All wheel steering vastly helps it feel like a small sedan on turns. Power is great, exhaust sounds phenomenal.

Was still looking to try something different so I spent a LOT of time debating X5 vs X7. I decided if I was going X7 - M50i and DHP was a must for me and was hard to find in the spec I wanted.

I eventually 'settled' on starting with the X5 as majority of my drives for now are more errand type drives around town as I work from home - and figured X5 would be the more 'fun' option.

I was worried that the X5 wouldn't be enough room - and we will see how it holds up with my 2 rear ward facing child seats, trips.

Anyways long story short debated on 40i vs 50i for a while on the BMW and eventually a dream spec showed up that made me pull the trigger.

'23 M50i with 5K miles on her with all the packages (minus DHP) including alcantara headliner which was an awesome plus - and best of all in DRAVIT GREY. Love that color on this car as you can't get it on the 6's so makes it feel a bit more special.

Anyways - got the car last night and put on about 20 miles on her or so. Absolutely love it so far and no regrets vs. going anything different. I specifically did not want DHP on the X5 as some reviewers called it a bit twitchy or nervous on the freeway as it can't fully settle in. This is a daily driver for me and family hauler so handling is NOT the #1 priority on here for me. Maybe I'm missing out - I'm not sure. The ride with the sport suspension setting is almost perfect to me and I hardly would change a thing.

Power as you know is endless. Torque is awesome and addictive. Ergonomics / seats are great. The cheapest part about the car to me is the fake leather dash and the harmon/kardon is absolute junk in here. Otherwise it's a very buttoned up well made package!

Oh and it's funny looking through a dozen threads, some people advocate going full 'M' on these if you are already getting the 50i - and the truth is anything but that. I spent a full day in a X6M few weeks ago, and absolutely DESPISED that ride. Did not enjoy myself for one minute in that car - seats were uncomfortable, the whole car felt clunky, it rode unnecessarily stiff and really doesn't give you much more acceleration feel then the 50i. I agree with whoever said that the m50i does everything the M does, but it does it better. Completely different cars, for different types of drivers / people.

I haven't had a V8 since my '16 RS7 I had a while ago - feels good to be back with the sound and torque.

Happy to join the club - and know if I outgrow this the next stop will be X7 m50/60i.

Last edited by socialpro1; 05-10-2023 at 01:54 PM..
Appreciate 5
jphcbpa299.50
Higgy_CSL731.00
1Boxer33.00
Tch-Nrd118.50
CT335xi682.50
      05-10-2023, 02:24 PM   #2
zsap
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 45e (2023)

*High five* for color configuration :-) 45e in my case.
Appreciate 0