BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-09-2020, 04:54 PM   #23
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaflb View Post
Congrats GOLFFRR! How long does it take from production begin to the dealership? Also, do you know if the car sent to NorCal will also be sitting at Ontario? It will be great if you can share your complete timeline. Thx
Once it starts production usually takes 4-5 weeks to get to ontario. once its at ontario its a crap shot right now. could be a few days could be 2 weeks! I thought I shared my timeline in here must have been another thread.

my car was built super fast about 4 weeks. but due to covid which has short staff and odd shifts it took 2 weeks to get to dealership.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 06:14 PM   #24
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
I did some research on this a year ago and I guess there is a small amount that are assembled in mexico and russia for various security type applications. I am not 100% sure what all that means but thats what I was able to dig up. it could mean something like the X is built then sent to these plants and re assembled for such things like armor or security applications I dont know but technically this happens so I say 99%. could be more like 99.8% but I dont know the exact scope of assembled is so I just play it safe and say 99%
FYI, heard this recently:
BMW models are built in eight final assembly plants: four in Germany, two in China, one in South Africa and a complex in Spartanburg, S.C. The Spartanburg plant, opened in 1995, manufactures all crossover models, which BMW dubs Sport Activity Vehicles or SAVs. Additionally, BMW vehicles are assembled from parts kits at six more locations in developing countries like Thailand and India.
Not sure if that's still the case but it would explain why, for example, Malaysian X5s are always noted as "locally built".
Appreciate 1
GOLFFRR10774.50
      10-10-2020, 10:02 AM   #25
abcd4321
Rep
Drives: Uber

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcd4321 View Post
I received VIN from dealer on 9/29, called BMW and was told the car will be completed 10/13 (2 weeks), and expect to be at dealership in 2-3 weeks after.

Today is 10/9, it's been a week and half but I'm still seeing this status on the tracking website.

PRODUCTION BEGINS
Today's the day: your BMW has entered the production queue.

Did anyone else also experience slow production status update?

I know the car will get here eventually, but the wait is killing me, like everyone else lol.
If anyone curious how fast the status gets updated.

Later in the day I posted this (10/9), it moved three steps from Production Begins to Entering assembly line. Today 10/10 and it moved two more steps and is now at Quality check.

Last edited by abcd4321; 10-10-2020 at 10:06 AM.. Reason: Added more detail
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 04:52 PM   #26
Foothills20
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

I ordered end of August. Got my production number the next day. It finally went to production begins after a month. Now it's been there a week I think it comes down to your allocation and its build week. I was told 6-8 weeks. I'm in California
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 07:18 PM   #27
dnd2984
Rep
Drives: Merc C63, F95, and XC90.

Hi! I got my production number Oct 1st. No movement since.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 12:26 AM   #28
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcd4321 View Post
If anyone curious how fast the status gets updated.

Later in the day I posted this (10/9), it moved three steps from Production Begins to Entering assembly line. Today 10/10 and it moved two more steps and is now at Quality check.

How long was it in Production Begins?
When you called the 800 number, did it give you a completion ETA? It gave me one but my status did not move in last 7 days
I really need to decide if I should extend my current lease or not, that's a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnd2984 View Post
Hi! I got my production number Oct 1st. No movement since.

Wow, good luck, I hope it's just website not updating.
      10-11-2020, 08:25 AM   #29
abcd4321
Rep
Drives: Uber

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde View Post
How long was it in Production Begins?
When you called the 800 number, did it give you a completion ETA? It gave me one but my status did not move in last 7 days
I really need to decide if I should extend my current lease or not, that's a problem.
It was in Production Begins for a week and half. When called, they gave me a completion date (not at dealer/delivered) 2 weeks from production date.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 06:08 PM   #30
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Each dealer is given a certain number of build slots. He can either fill them for stock on his lot, or to build the vehicle for a customer wishing to special order. He might be able to trade or buy a slot from another dealer. I don't think that there are often open slots that can be just picked up on a whim. Prior to one of his slots being locked because it is close to production and parts have been ordered for it, he can reassign one of his slots to you. So, if he's got one coming up in a few days that hasn't been locked yet, it could be changed to your specifications. That could speed up your delivery by a lot.

It all depends on what slots the dealer has open. A vehicle assigned to an individual versus the dealership has a higher priority if there are delays. If someone decides to cancel, a slot may become available, whether that's a dealership or a custom order.

From what I hear, the X5 45e slots are sparse, so grabbing an open one may take some time.

BMW corporate in each market negotiates with their headquarters for the number of slots, and that could change periodically. IOW, if BMWUSA wanted more slots, they'd have to coerce Munich for them who would then take them away from some other market that may not be using all of theirs now. If enough demand was there, they'd expand the factory, but that takes years for planning and provisioning. I think it pretty much runs 24-hours now, so you can't add a shift, and trying to speed up runs into personnel problems and customer satisfaction as that could cause defects to leak out if someone is stressed and skips over a step to speed things up...not good for anyone. Being at or near full capacity is nice for BMW, but can hurt if you really want one now...you have to wait your turn.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 01:39 PM   #31
Amers
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW xDrive40i

Here is my timeline on my order. Checking the website daily on status changes and sometime it advanced multiple steps. I was concerned that the production timeline would be held up due to COVID or some of the options I choose for the car, but it looks like everything has gone as expected.

2021 X5 xDrive40i
M Sport
Alpine White
20" M Star-spoke bi-color wheels, style 740M with all-season run-flat tires
M Sport Brakes with Blue Calipers
Tartufo Extended Merino Leather
Fineline Stripe Brown High Gloss Wood Trim
Driving Assistance Professional Package
Executive Package
Luxury Seating Package
Parking Assistance Package
3rd row seat + air suspension
Front and Rear Heated Seats
Heated Front Seats, Armrests & Steering Wheel

09/18/20 - Finalized options at dealership
09/21/20 - Dealership placed order
09/22/20 - Order received and scheduled for production
09/25/20 - Production begins
10/06/20 - In Production/Exterior Body Assembly begins/In Paint Booth
10/07/20 - Entering Assembly Line
10/08/20 - Assembly In Progress/Quality Check/Final Assembly/Ready For Transport/Awaiting Carrier Assignment
10/10/20 - Dispatched from Factory
10/16/20 - At the Port/In Transit
10/30/20 - Arrived at the Dealership and ready for Pick-up 10/31/20

Last edited by Amers; 11-03-2020 at 12:31 PM.. Reason: Update
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 02:40 PM   #32
Caramel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: blue car, grey car, white bike

Doesn't seem as if there was much demand for (non-PHEV) X5's these days if they can slot you in four days after receiving your order.

When will they start their discountfest to utilize the full capacity of the plant?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 09:30 PM   #33
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amers View Post
Here is my timeline on my order. Checking the website daily on status changes and sometime it advanced multiple steps. I was concerned that the production timeline would be held up due to COVID or some of the options I choose for the car, but it looks like everything has gone as expected.

2021 X5 xDrive40i
M Sport
Alpine White
20" M Star-spoke bi-color wheels, style 740M with all-season run-flat tires
M Sport Brakes with Blue Calipers
Tartufo Extended Merino Leather
Fineline Stripe Brown High Gloss Wood Trim
Driving Assistance Professional Package
Executive Package
Luxury Seating Package
Parking Assistance Package
3rd row seat + air suspension
Front and Rear Heated Seats
Heated Front Seats, Armrests & Steering Wheel

09/18/20 - Finalized options at dealership
09/21/20 - Dealership placed order
09/22/20 - Order received and scheduled for production
09/25/20 - Production begins
10/06/20 - In Production/Exterior Body Assembly begins/In Paint Booth
10/07/20 - Entering Assembly Line
10/08/20 - Assembly In Progress/Quality Check/Final Assembly/Ready For Transport/Awaiting Carrier Assignment
10/10/20 - Dispatched from Factory
10/16/20 - At the Port/In Transit

Similar to mine, it seems like 2 weeks from order to completion, plus few days for transit. My SA said it should be there over the weekend and ready for pick up after monday afternoon.
      10-19-2020, 08:21 PM   #34
Vingard
Rep
Drives: X7

Quote:
Similar to mine, it seems like 2 weeks from order to completion, plus few days for transit. My SA said it should be there over the weekend and ready for pick up after monday afternoon.
Were you able to pick it up today?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 08:57 PM   #35
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vingard View Post
Were you able to pick it up today?
No, too busy, planning to do it on Wednesday.
      10-19-2020, 09:53 PM   #36
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

A dealer can't just initiate a brand new production slot...he can assign one he already has to a customer, otherwise, he's building it for his showroom or maybe trading it to someone else. He can maybe negotiate a trade with another dealer, but not magically make up a new one.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 09:52 AM   #37
regCT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 M Sport;

Ordered my X5 on 10/17. Dealer reconfigured an allocation to my specs on 10/19. Scheduled to be completed 11/7. Hoping to see it mid November!

X5 x40i
Phytonic Blue/Cognac Vernasca
M sport
Premium
Drivers Assistance Pro
Parking Assistance
Extended Shadowline
M Sport Brakes w/red calipers
Heated front/rear seats/arm rests/steering wheel
Trailer hitch
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 11:03 AM   #38
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No, too busy, planning to do it on Wednesday.
Picked up last week.

10-28-2020, 04:07 PM   #39
DBLDNon11
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by regCT View Post
Ordered my X5 on 10/17. Dealer reconfigured an allocation to my specs on 10/19. Scheduled to be completed 11/7. Hoping to see it mid November!
I'm in the same boat - assuming 'Week 45' for your build as well. I'm hoping for delivery the week of 11/21. We'll see!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 05:12 PM   #40
codex57
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e, Tesla Model 3

I've got a week 47 build. I called BMW Genius and what they told me matched what my SA told me when I placed the order. Like GOLFRR said, you can plan on the build part going to schedule. It's the delivery part that seems to be a total crapshoot. Mine should be done before Thanksgiving. I'm not gonna plan on actually getting the car until mid-December. To be safe, I'm thinking of it as a Christmas present rather than a Thanksgiving one.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 05:43 PM   #41
rlou
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e 2017 X3 2.8i

I placed my X5 45e order on 10/20 and it just moved to "Production Begins" today
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 06:38 PM   #42
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

You could purchase your vehicle the beginning of the week, and if your dealer has an unassigned build slot later that week before it reaches (I think) VIN assigned (at some point, the build is locked, and no changes can be made any more), he can change the order to match your desires, and it could start then...IOW, it all depends on when the dealer has a build slot he can assign to your sale. The dealer doesn't get new slots just because he sells a car...they're already assigned to him or he can trade or buy one from another dealer.

Once an order is locked to a specific customer, the priority moves higher, but that doesn't mean it gets built sooner...if there's a shortage of accessories, that order is less likely to be delayed than one being built for a dealer just for his lot.

Their system is not that the dealer puts an order in and they get built in order of the request...they get built by the pre-assigned slots that the dealer can use for either a customer, or for his lot. On a popular model, there generally aren't just extra slots he can request.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 02:37 PM   #43
philooo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: porsche

I wish BMW had some sort of queue system so we could have some fun monitoring the production... but I guess they don't want the competition to dig into that sort of sensitive data... at least they have something for us to follow the build which is pretty cool... if only we could have some camera in the factory to follow our car.. .now that would be cool !
Appreciate 1
biterror512.50
      11-03-2020, 04:08 PM   #44
sand99
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by philooo View Post
I wish BMW had some sort of queue system so we could have some fun monitoring the production... but I guess they don't want the competition to dig into that sort of sensitive data... at least they have something for us to follow the build which is pretty cool... if only we could have some camera in the factory to follow our car.. .now that would be cool !
BMW did exactly this for the 2011 BMW X3 line only (first year of production at SC). I still have my production video saved to the thumb drive they gave me. You could see videos of your car as it went down the assembly line, touched the ground for the first time, and when it was driven off the factory floor.
Appreciate 2
philooo81.50
biterror512.50