BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-04-2022, 12:51 PM   #45
beermato
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 Blue

Great instructions, much appreciated. So, I gave this a try today and was unsuccessful.

I was able to get the three screws off, but could not get the tab/clip on the upper left to release. I wasn't sure if the screwdriver should go over the tab "neck" or over to the right, where there was a small slot (hard to see). I assumed that the screwdriver went into the slot, but then I wasn't sure what I was trying to move when "pulling up". Also, FWIW, the upper right portion seemed pretty secure, so I'm not sure what was happening in that area.

On the first steps, I have small hands and it was not easy to get the three screws out. In fact, I was nervous that I wouldn't be able to get them back on at all, but I was able to work them in place and secure them. I had all the recommended tools.

I have some photos and will post them later, if they are additive to the originals.

EDIT: So I'm not sure that I got the correct three screws. I definitely had two correct, but maybe not the third. I FINALLY understand that the drawing from the manual is the "frame" that holds the trim piece. I think I had the two screws marked in green, but my third screw was higher and slightly inboard from the inboard green screw. It's hard to tell, given the tight area, but I would say that my third screw was somewhere in the blue box area and I may have missed the screw circled in red. That might explain why the tab wouldn't release and definitely fits with that part of the trim still feeling secured.

Name:  ehaust.png
Views: 771
Size:  53.2 KB

Last edited by beermato; 07-04-2022 at 06:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2024, 03:50 PM   #46
beattiecj
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i 2017 x5 35i 1988 e30

Thanks for the instructions, this was tedious just hard to get a wrench and loosen the bolts (patience and persistence) is key and aligning the brackets to put the new exhaust trims on. Make sure to add painters tape around the tip and bumper for protection you’ll need it. Same process on the 50i.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2024, 02:47 PM   #47
Dave T
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Does anyone have a part number for the genuine tips in black?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2024, 01:24 PM   #48
bertocolon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ittam View Post
No un-mounting of anything...
NICE
Appreciate 0