WifeBeforeCar
Bimmer without rage
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i | 2020 X5 M50i

Garage List
2022 X3 M40i   [9.50]
Questions About Aftermarket Rim/Tire Setup

Hi my fellow bimmers,

Newbie in aftermarket wheels but have been looking at some Vossen rims. The more I look at them, the more I want to replace my 20 inch 740M with at least 21 inch staggered setup on my M50i. A couple of questions here:

1. Do I need to purchase separate TPMS sensors if I swap out OEM rims, or can I just use the OEM TPMS sensors?

2. For those who upgraded to 22 inch rims, how did you guys solve the spare tire problem (assuming you did not order that from BMW when you got the car)

3. 22 inch undeniably looks better than 21 inch, but how often do you need to replace the tires on 22? I'm on a lease and I don't want to throw away 2000 dollars every year just to maintain the tires...for this reason I'm thinking about the 21 staggered setup with run flats...

4. Since I'm on a lease and my next car might not be an X5, how do you guys normally make sure your rim purchase can fit your next car as well? Say if I get the g80 m3 in 2 years...(wifey likes Tesla and I might have to say bye to my beloved M50i in 3 years)

Appreciate any advice!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 11:13 PM   #2
JonnyCrash
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: VW GTI, BMW X5 40i M-Sport

A couple of answers:
1. You can get new TPMS and have them programmed for the car when you purchase if you want. It may be easier than taking the 20s apart and putting them back together again when you return the car after the lease is up.

2. You can either buy a spare wheel at great cost or the OEM BMW mobility kit at lesser great cost. Or neither and just get the car towed via roadside assistance if you get a flat.

3. 22” tires will probably wear a bit more quickly than 21” tires, but they are cheaper and easier to find than the 21s. This is because a) The 21” recommended tires size is very rare and not many tire in that size and b) the 22” tires will not be run-flats.

4. There is absolutely no way to make sure your rims will fit your next car unless you buy a car to fit the rims. Buy rims to fit this car with the correct specs and then sell them if you get a different car afterwards. Yes, you well lose a lot of money. The only way around that is to keep the time you’ve got and enjoy them.
Appreciate 1
      07-11-2020, 02:46 AM   #3
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i, 2020 Alfa 4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by messishine View Post
Hi my fellow bimmers,

Newbie in aftermarket wheels but have been looking at some Vossen rims. The more I look at them, the more I want to replace my 20 inch 740M with at least 21 inch staggered setup on my M50i. A couple of questions here:

1. Do I need to purchase separate TPMS sensors if I swap out OEM rims, or can I just use the OEM TPMS sensors?

2. For those who upgraded to 22 inch rims, how did you guys solve the spare tire problem (assuming you did not order that from BMW when you got the car)

3. 22 inch undeniably looks better than 21 inch, but how often do you need to replace the tires on 22? I'm on a lease and I don't want to throw away 2000 dollars every year just to maintain the tires...for this reason I'm thinking about the 21 staggered setup with run flats...

4. Since I'm on a lease and my next car might not be an X5, how do you guys normally make sure your rim purchase can fit your next car as well? Say if I get the g80 m3 in 2 years...(wifey likes Tesla and I might have to say bye to my beloved M50i in 3 years)

Appreciate any advice!
1) You "should" purchase separate TPMs, so you can have a set installed on your new wheels. Otherwise, every time you switch back to the OEM wheels, you will need to have both sets of tires mounted and dismounted to swap the TPMs back and forth.

2) Spare tire doesn't matter. Some people have them, some don't. The size of your wheels doesn't matter. Buy an oem spare tire kit if you want to.

3) The size of the tires has no bearing on how long they last. The tread compound does. A summer performance set of tires will have a lower tread wear and wear quicker (but grip better), whereas an all-season tire will have a higher treadwear and last longer. Size doesn't matter.

4) There are too many factors in determining fitment, and absolutely no way of knowing whether or not your wheels will fit the next vehicle. Size, width, offset, lug pattern, and hub bore diameter. You can ask whomever you buy them from, but vehicle manufacturers often change things. Prior to 2019, the X5 used a 5x120 lug pattern. Beginning in 2019, they switched to a 5x112. If they don't fit the new car, you can always sell them used to someone else that wants a set.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do.
Appreciate 1