BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-17-2020, 11:42 AM   #23
mswaz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5M

The drive/ride was different that I imagined. I drove this and then drove a comp version right after.
With all settings set the same between the two, this may have been my brain playing tricks on me, but I felt the throttle response, steering input, I know steering is no different between the two, and of course sound was much more lively and connected in the Comp version. The base version felt very much like driving the M50. Suspension felt the same but trackability of steering inputs to where the car goes was much more precise in the comp version. Very possible partial cause was the base had Pirellis and the comp had Michelins. I drove a previous version Comp car with Pirellis and too was underwhelmed. I cant explain it. I previously come from 2 each prior E70 M's and two F85 M's overall this version/platform is more driver disconnected than both previous versions. Maybe my F90 has spoiled me but not as overly impressed as I hoped to be, though the comp was much closer to my expectations.
I ordered this car originally in February and with the delays was just delivered but after driving I passed on it and ordered a '21 Comp version. Just can't decide between which wheel set to select and pray for Michelins.

Last edited by mswaz; 07-20-2020 at 05:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 12:24 PM   #24
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Now you got me curious to see how the Michelins would feel. I feels like all of the reports of the car riding very stiff were equipped with the Pirellis including mine.
      07-17-2020, 12:29 PM   #25
BiGFather
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30 540i xDrive Mperformance

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswaz View Post
The drive/ride was more different that I imagined. I drove this and then drove a comp version right after.
With all settings set the same between the two, this may have been my brain playing tricks on me, but I felt the throttle response, steering input, I know steering is no different between the two, and of course sound was much more lively and connected in the Comp version. The base version felt very much like driving the M50. Suspension felt the same but trackability of steering inputs to where the car goes was much more precise in the comp version. Very possible partial cause was the base had Pirellis and the comp had Michelins. I drove a previous version Comp car with Pirellis and too was underwhelmed. I cant explain it. I previously come from 2 each prior E70 M's and two E85 M's overall this version/platform is more driver disconnected than both previous versions. Many my F90 has spoiled me but not as overly impressed as I hoped to be, though the comp was much closer to my expectations.
I ordered this car originally in February and with the delays was just delivered but after driving I passed on it and ordered a '21 Comp version. Just can't decide between which wheel set to select and pray for Michelins.
Is there more comfort in base one? I have read that comp is set more for track and its somehow harder - its the reason I choice standard over comp but I think I still have time to switch back on comp..
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 12:34 PM   #26
mswaz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiGFather View Post
Is there more comfort in base one? I have read that comp is set more for track and its somehow harder - its the reason I choice standard over comp but I think I still have time to switch back on comp..
The suspension build wise is exactly the same between the two versions, and it felt as if.
The difference being that base you can opt for a 20" square setup verses the 21/22 staggered setup as an option on the base and standard on the comp. I am coming to the conclusion that it has a lot to do with tires.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 12:47 PM   #27
BiGFather
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiGFather View Post
The suspension build wise is exactly the same between the two versions, and it felt as if.
The difference being that base you can opt for a 20" square setup verses the 21/22 staggered setup as an option on the base and standard on the comp. I am coming to the conclusion that it has a lot to do with tires.
Desing won the comp for me, especially with the donington gray color.

I have ordered standard M with 21/22" wheels but expected that it would be much softer on street lines/repairs etc because of "negative" reviewes on comp comfort 🤔 but if there is rly no difference... 🤷🏻
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 01:12 PM   #28
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
More base pictures.
thanks for posting the pictures, she looks great

so if I read u correctly u decided to pass on 20 X5M and will be ordering 21 X5M comp now?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 03:07 PM   #29
BiGFather
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneca View Post
Quote:
More base pictures.
thanks for posting the pictures, she looks great

so if I read u correctly u decided to pass on 20 X5M and will be ordering 21 X5M comp now?
I am mb about to switch on comp also.. I still can change it in my order I think 🤔
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 05:58 PM   #30
X5MC_LI
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5MC

Quote:
More base pictures.
I'm digging that rear diffuser color combo vs all black. Defines the shape better imo.
Doesn't come up in the US configurator tho for the non-comp model.
Appreciate 0