07-24-2020, 04:16 PM   #1
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Maybe we can have its own thread to show or describe "fun" Driver Assistance failures showcasing how and why assist functions are not equivalent to Autonomous or Self Driving. I am sure that some posts will be user misunderstandings, but let's try to critically analyze the events both before and after posting.

I'll start with my favourite that I've posted a couple of times to showcase how difficult traffic light detection and management is in the real world. Below photo is completely real and exists in my town — good luck to both meatsacks and AIs with figuring out the lights on this stretch of road!
Attached Images

themnmd1687.00
      07-24-2020, 04:18 PM   #2
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
And here is what I just observed. The car thinks that its own reflection is another car, almost like a child or a puppy, how cute :-)
Attached Images

07-24-2020, 04:28 PM   #3
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
At least that will prevent you from accidentally mashing the accelerator and ending up inside the building lol.
Appreciate 1
volodp193.50
      07-24-2020, 05:05 PM   #4
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

In that scenario the traffic light assistant will ask if you want to stop the car if any of the lights are red. It will check the lane you are in and determine if the light applies to you and react accordingly.

If it's having a bad day it might just give you a big X and say you're on your own.

I find the highway driving is pretty autonomous now. Rock solid most of the time. It's still an assistant though. It might prompt you to change lanes, or make a manoeuvre once nav route is programmed, but you still have to make the decision.

Urban driving is no way near autonomous. Too many variables

Get upgraded to 07/2020, get coding, setup a camera and let's we what happens what could possibly go wrong?
Appreciate 1
volodp193.50
      07-25-2020, 01:48 AM   #5
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 G05 40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
I'll start with my favourite that I've posted a couple of times to showcase how difficult traffic light detection and management is in the real world. Below photo is completely real and exists in my town — good luck to both meatsacks and AIs with figuring out the lights on this stretch of road!
That pic and intersection seriously gives me a headache....

Whoever designed that stretch of road, and whatever local Government actually then went ahead and built that should be committed to a nice institution where all the staff wear nice white coats.
Appreciate 2
LexxM31697.50
themnmd1687.00
      07-25-2020, 04:41 AM   #6
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Well nomen est omen I guess. It is an assistent and not autonomous taking over driving. And that is the way I use it. I see it as a driving aid and never completely trust it while driving.

For me ACC works best on single lane 70km/h road following a car in front.

Automatic steering works on the highway and gentle curves. I don't put it on much. I think the Belgian road are not made for it.

I use autonomous braking as a safety feature. I don't rely on it with normal driving.

Because I try to drive economically I usually start to release throttle and recuperate energy before the adaptive drive would for a red light or intersection.

On the highway i am less happy. Following a car is done perfectly. The problem are the other drivers. Even in the closest position the cars behind are getting irritated because you are leaving a too big distance, taking over and getting back in in front and making my car slow down. Making the cars behind wondering why I am bracking, etc.

This is one of the other issues with ACC, people behind you don't understand why you are braking all the time a keeping quite a big distance and start to get frustrated.

I think ACC keeps a safe distance and probably this would be an optimal distance for everyone. But usually, at least in Belgium. People are driving closer. So if you don't someone comes in front of your car and it brakes.
Appreciate 1
volodp193.50
      07-25-2020, 04:42 AM   #7
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Maybe we can have its own thread to show or describe "fun" Driver Assistance failures showcasing how and why assist functions are not equivalent to Autonomous or Self Driving. I am sure that some posts will be user misunderstandings, but let's try to critically analyze the events both before and after posting.

I think even an experienced human driver will have difficulties figuring out what to do in the situation in your picture
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 10:45 AM   #8
Xeno
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 M Sport 5.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
Well nomen est omen I guess. It is an assistent and not autonomous taking over driving. And that is the way I use it. I see it as a driving aid and never completely trust it while driving.

Automatic steering works on the highway and gentle curves. I don't put it on much. I think the Belgian road are not made for it.

I use autonomous braking as a safety feature. I don't rely on it with normal driving.

Because I try to drive economically I usually start to release throttle and recuperate energy before the adaptive drive would for a red light or intersection.

On the highway i am less happy. Following a car is done perfectly. The problem are the other drivers. Even in the closest position the cars behind are getting irritated because you are leaving a too big distance, taking over and getting back in in front and making my car slow down. Making the cars behind wondering why I am bracking, etc.

This is one of the other issues with ACC, people behind you don't understand why you are braking all the time a keeping quite a big distance and start to get frustrated.

I think ACC keeps a safe distance and probably this would be an optimal distance for everyone. But usually, at least in Belgium. People are driving closer. So if you don't someone comes in front of your car and it brakes.
I complained about this when my car was new. My problem is on USA interstates and turnpikes the ACC spacing makes it impossible for me to snake my way to the front of the line.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 08:41 AM   #9
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
I counted 27 traffic lights in a couple of blocks. It does look like they have room for a few more though....
Appreciate 2
LexxM31697.50
volodp193.50
      07-26-2020, 08:59 AM   #10
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_G0530d View Post
Quote:
That pic and intersection seriously gives me a headache....

Whoever designed that stretch of road, and whatever local Government actually then went ahead and built that should be committed to a nice institution where all the staff wear nice white coats.
+1 , you beat me to it, I was like WTF?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 03:25 AM   #11
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

If it wasn't confusing enough, they even named one of the streets the colour of the lights!
Appreciate 3
volodp193.50
LexxM31697.50
Paladin15457.50
      07-27-2020, 05:27 AM   #12
Carneylad
Private
Rep
Drives: G05 M50d, Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post

I agree with what you about other people not knowing you are using an assistance system. Having had such systems on my cars for a while now, I have always thought (and the thought has not gone away as cars behave better) that there should be a specific light that comes on externally when the system is engaged.

Like a green dot or something to let others know you are the one driving smoothly, at a constant speed, dead centre of the lane and that they're the a**hole... Sorry, flashbacks.

The amount of times someone has overtaken me, pulled back in and slowed down to an extent where my car needs to brake is unreal. I then indicate and overtake them again at the exact speed I was going before only to receive a visual headbutt from the other driver.

Knowing what the systems are like and how they behave, I think I would interact with other cars differently if I knew they were currently being assisted.
Appreciate 2
volodp193.50
LexxM31697.50