BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-25-2020, 01:30 AM   #23
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
You are missing a big part of the process. How do you think they got on the lot? They had to order them and their resources are tied up as long as the vehicle is on the lot. With custom orders it is a much quicker turnaround.
Not sure because every dealer I know prefer to sell from the current inventory.

Ask for an custom order and first thing will be the dealer trying to sell you an existing vehicle.

They buying in packages and need to sell X amount each style.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 08:45 AM   #24
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOW4LYF View Post
Not sure because every dealer I know prefer to sell from the current inventory.

Ask for an custom order and first thing will be the dealer trying to sell you an existing vehicle.

They buying in packages and need to sell X amount each style.
Okay, never mind. You are not seeing the entire process and only focusing on the sales transaction when there is inventory. As I have been saying, their capital is being tied up in that inventory so obviously would want to push those. That though is not what a dealer would rather sell to be more profitable overall and get a greater ROI with less risk.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 11:22 AM   #25
edofloat
Captain
Rep
Drives: Outback or 992

Quote:
Okay, never mind. You are not seeing the entire process and only focusing on the sales transaction when there is inventory. As I have been saying, their capital is being tied up in that inventory so obviously would want to push those. That though is not what a dealer would rather sell to be more profitable overall and get a greater ROI with less risk.
When inventory is in short supply a dealer sold order is even better as it will help earn additional allocation They can sell pretty much every in stock unit during short supply periods so every deal helps.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 11:52 AM   #26
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by edofloat View Post
When inventory is in short supply a dealer sold order is even better as it will help earn additional allocation They can sell pretty much every in stock unit during short supply periods so every deal helps.
True but not related to the original statement. Unless the folks I talked to are mistaken, it is more profitable/less risky/etc. to sell custom orders rather than have inventory on the lot. That said, the inventory is needed as a marketing tool as well as to cater to those potential customers who do not wish to order or are making a spur of the moment decision to buy.

Obviously it is all theoretical since a dealer's sales will always be a mix of inventory and custom ordered but if they could sell the same number of units as just custom orders they would be better off.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 12:20 PM   #27
edofloat
Captain
Rep
Drives: Outback or 992

Quote:
True but not related to the original statement. Unless the folks I talked to are mistaken, it is more profitable/less risky/etc. to sell custom orders rather than have inventory on the lot. That said, the inventory is needed as a marketing tool as well as to cater to those potential customers who do not wish to order or are making a spur of the moment decision to buy.

Obviously it is all theoretical since a dealer's sales will always be a mix of inventory and custom ordered but if they could sell the same number of units as just custom orders they would be better off.
Often the dealer will be more likely to give a better deal on an order rather than risk losing the deal to another dealer, you're right they are lower risk deals to the dealer.

Nonetheless, the OP's deal was terrible. Never have figured out why some dealers are so consistantly inconsistant with price offereings, especially in the internet shopping age. Makes no sense.
Appreciate 1
TurtleBoy13170.50
      10-05-2021, 08:55 PM   #28
SeaZoobies
Lol - What?
Rep
Drives: '22 X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_GK View Post
Talked to BMW Seattle dealership over the weekend, asked what incentives they could offer on custom 2020 X40i build (MSRP $92k as built with almost all options checked). They said they do not give % off MSRP for custom builds, only ~ $5k off lot inventory. They were also pretty snarky and said not to get my advice and incentive benchmarks off of this forum "They've been in the business over 6 years and know better than any forum".

Anyone dealt with them before and had success negotiating on custom build? Any other PNW dealers who are better to work with? BTW, longtime lurker, first time posting!
Digging this thread back up because I'm literally getting my X4.

Last edited by SeaZoobies; 10-14-2021 at 11:07 PM..
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18116.50
      10-11-2021, 06:18 PM   #29
adscft
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5

I'm asking around WA/OR dealerships too and none offer any discount. So when you buy from of out-of-state dealership, would you need to get a shipping company to ship it over to you, or will the dealership take care of that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaZoobies View Post
Digging this thread back up because I'm literally getting my X4 in Chicago because BMW Seattle, Bellevue, and NorthWest were all awful with negotiating and Bellevue told me not to look out of state. I did.

I beat their monthly by $200...
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 08:32 PM   #30
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Years ago I was working with a CA and we got to a point where he literally said (and I remember it to this day) "I know what I want to make on this car". I got up and never dealt with them again.
Appreciate 0