BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-19-2020, 09:17 AM   #1
AshD
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW iX 40 2022

11/2019.70 OTA UK Rollout

Just got the push notification that update is available today for 11/2019.70 OTA for my GO5. Currently running 11/2019.55.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 12:44 PM   #2
AshD
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

The update has been transferred to the car but it's not giving me option to install yet. What am I doing wrong? Left it overnight and tried again this am and still no option. Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 01:54 PM   #3
Pro55
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05 30d

I just got a message after switching the engine off that it was ready for install. The car had done the download automatically on its own , not through my phone app. I just hit install and it started. Locked the car , came back an hour later and it said upgrade completed. Job done.
Have you tried To activate it in general setting, remote upgrade?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 02:00 PM   #4
AshD
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro55 View Post
I just got a message after switching the engine off that it was ready for install. The car had done the download automatically on its own , not through my phone app. I just hit install and it started. Locked the car , came back an hour later and it said upgrade completed. Job done.
Have you tried To activate it in general setting, remote upgrade?
Thanks. Yep tried everything on setting and it says it will inform me once ready to install - it sure is taking its time
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 02:55 PM   #5
x5x2
Private
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G05

Garage List
Mine updated today, haven't ventured out yet, but at least its starts and lights up normally...

Not sure if you can have much new tech in a 78mb update
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 04:09 PM   #6
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 G05 40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshD View Post
The update has been transferred to the car but it's not giving me option to install yet. What am I doing wrong? Left it overnight and tried again this am and still no option. Any thoughts?
The car wont initiate (or even give you the option of initiating) the upgrade unless the battery charge is above a certain level.

I had exactly this issue for 2 - days, then put the car on a charger for around 6 hours- got the charge up above 80%.
Went for a spin around the block, came home and switched off, then wham got the option to initiate upgrade came up straight away.

I stayed in the car while it went through the motions - with 11/2019.70 it took around 20-30mins from start-finish.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 04:16 PM   #7
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_G0530d View Post
Quote:
The car wont initiate (or even give you the option of initiating) the upgrade unless the battery charge is above a certain level.

I had exactly this issue for 2 - days, then put the car on a charger for around 6 hours- got the charge up above 80%.
Went for a spin around the block, came home and switched off, then wham got the option to initiate upgrade came up straight away.

I stayed in the car while it went through the motions - with 11/2019.70 it took around 20-30mins from start-finish.
Spot on.

If the car thinks there is an issue with the battery condition, then it will disable the RSU service entirely.

Not the issue In this case which is probably charge related, but could be an explanation as to why some never get the updates OTA.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 04:27 PM   #8
AshD
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Spot on.

If the car thinks there is an issue with the battery condition, then it will disable the RSU service entirely.

Not the issue In this case which is probably charge related, but could be an explanation as to why some never get the updates OTA.
Thanks however mines a 30d Msport and not a hybrid
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 05:04 PM   #9
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Spot on.

It still has a battery , 2 actually. Those are the batteries that the RSU checks to ensure it can maintain charge during the upgrade process and avoid bricking any of your ECU's.

This is the error that BMW would see if RSU was completely disabled due to a battery issue, not specific to charge level but condition. In your case it could be charge level so either take it for a long run, or stick on a charger as James suggested.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 07:09 PM   #10
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 G05 40i M Sport

Quote:
Mine is a 30d too.

When you charge, connect the tethers to the terminals under the hood, and it will charge both batteries.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 07:34 PM   #11
jeet
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

I had the exact same issue the update won't install had to put the car on charger and after an hour it started to install the update.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 06:24 AM   #12
AshD
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
It still has a battery , 2 actually. Those are the batteries that the RSU checks to ensure it can maintain charge during the upgrade process and avoid bricking any of your ECU's.

This is the error that BMW would see if RSU was completely disabled due to a battery issue, not specific to charge level but condition. In your case it could be charge level so either take it for a long run, or stick on a charger as James suggested.
ahh - okay that makes sense. The car has hardly been driven in the last 4 months and therefore likely that the battery is low. Don't have a charger and therefore will have to wait for a longer run before I try again
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 01:10 PM   #13
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i, 2020 Alfa 4C

I just received the notification for this today (US spec car in Belgium).

Is the update worthwhile? Any noticeable changes?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 07:12 AM   #14
Sonny185
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e LCI

Garage List
2024 X5 50e  [0.00]
2024 X5 40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefourteener View Post
I just received the notification for this today (US spec car in Belgium).

Is the update worthwhile? Any noticeable changes?
Nothing really that I can find coming from 11/2019.40 to 11/2019.70. Mostly maintenance fixes I suspect. I found no feature enhancements.
Appreciate 0