BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-31-2020, 12:24 AM   #1
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Anyone here went form Q7 (MKII) to X5 G05?

Considering going back to BMW, so I would love to hear from those who did the same.
Initially going from F15 to Q7 MKII was a little awkward for me, but over all it grew on me, and now I kinda feel at home, but I am not happy with the changes in latest Q7 redesign, especially the engine, fuel economy, and all-touch tech. Otherwise, it's an amazing vehicle.

If anyone came from Audi and has been driving the G05 for a while, I hope I can hear some feedback before I narrow down my choices.
      07-31-2020, 01:17 AM   #2
desirusso
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 06 E90 SG

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I did the same as you.... came from a 2017 Q7, I got the Q7 because the tech was better than Bmw, but the drive does not compare. Granted I have the M50 so it's a different beast than the Q7... but more my liking of driving than the Q7
      07-31-2020, 02:23 AM   #3
jeet
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

I had a Q7 for around 2 years (2017-2019). I had plenty of issues with mine. One day had all lights flashing in the car while driving car won't drive over 40 KM/H. This is one example had a few more.

I had to sell it and never going back to Audi. G05 is amazing Q7 is no way near in terms of ride loved it.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 08:41 AM   #4
parkstr8
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 MSport Arctic Grey

We also have a 2018 Q7 Prestige. Its been flawless except for replacement of one of the soft close door motors.

They are very different cars. I had a 2018 X5 which was smaller than the Q7, and with the 2020 the new X5 is now the same size, albeit with no 3rd row.

Last edited by parkstr8; 07-31-2020 at 02:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 12:23 PM   #5
GaryK4
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive 40i Tanzanite

Garage List
2020 BMW X5 40i  [0.00]
I went from a 2017 Q7. I did like the larger trunk and the ride was good to me. I did have a major electronics fail in my garage. They could not provide a proper tow truck, so they dragged the car out. I was not happy about that. (2) weeks to get it fixed. I had a bunch of minor nits to justify going to the X5.
• Constantly hitting turn signal when I want cruise control.
• MMI voice recognition is terrible.
• Poor storage space (console, doors, no storage under trunk floor).
No place to put my phone.
• Cup holders way too small.
• No auto hold.
• Android Auto, get weird messages (change connection).
• No touch screen, awkward to use dial.
• Don't like pop-up screen. Should be built-in.
• Keeps complaining that my hands are not on the wheel while they are.

So far, very happy with the X5.
      08-01-2020, 07:56 AM   #6
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Actually, yes. Two 2018 Q7 Prestiges. Couple of my posts in AudiWorld:

Traded both my Q7s this year for 2020 X5s and haven't looked back. The Qs had nice interiors, and were great highway cruisers. The handling in the X5 is better in almost every way IMO; faster response, better steering, better brakes (M Sport), smoother transmission. The tech in my Qs never worked right - continuously switched map view, took sometimes almost 5 minutes for Nav to connect (not even counting GE disappearing in 2020). Horrible throttle lag, which I compensated for driving, but never got used to. Interior in the X5 is full leather, not even available in the Q7 - dash, doors and glove box on down. It has REAL buttons, and iDrive has advanced to be arguably the industry standard - I have an actual Auto Hold button, that works, that I didn't have to add by pulling up my console and rewiring it (not available in my 2018 Qs - US specs), and a cover for the cupholders - heated and cooled cupholders (again, not for us American plebes in the Q); WIRELESS charging, and real actual parking assist (not available in my 2018 Qs - US cars, so sorry). My X5 has an AUTOMATIC cargo cover, that slides forward when the hatch is closed and opens when the hatch opens (and retracts into the floor when I don't need it) - and if I had selected the standard cargo cover it would have come with the car - not an after-market $300 purchase as it was with my Audi. The Traffic Jam Assist function is completely autonomous - no hands, no brakes, no throttle. Voice commands are actually understood, and work for almost everything - change temp, change music, turn on apps. My preset buttons can be programmed for virtually any function in the car - not just changing radio channels. Acoustic glass all around (not available in my 2018 Qs, because they were, well, American)- it's the quietest interior I've ever driven. The driver assist and communication functions in the X5 are on the steering wheel - where they belong (remembering the countless times I tried to set my cruise control with the turn signal stalk in the Q7). I enjoy driving again. And I actually like the styling - it won't be confused with a jelly bean or a mini-van. All my opinion, but coming from a recent Q7 experience. 2020 Q7 and beyond may be different, but I'm not likely to give Audi a chance to prove it to me.

Originally Posted by AudiFanFL View Post
You forgot to mention the available remote start on the X5 - huge for me here in FL.

Here in the Midwest too! I use it - a lot. Didn't want to turn this into a BMW fanboy rave - first year software glitches in the X5 are on display in multiple forums, but many are now overcome or in the fix process. There's so much I like about this car that I didn't like in the Q7, or just wasn't available. The HUD in the X5 is amazing and really obviates the need for any other nav - the screen is in line of sight if you need to use it though (even basic Nav in the instrument cluster, and the equivalent of GE on the dash), and is a touch screen although you can access features by gesture (yeah, I thought that was a gimmick until I used it - mute and unmute the audio by just poking a couple of fingers at the screen; works flawlessly and I love it), or the iDrive controller, or by voice, which works better than Alexa (yo Amazon), or by preset buttons. I never actually need to look down at anything to change or access controls (one of the distinct minuses to me in the new Q7 or 8).

Software isn't perfect in the X5 - they won't get Android Auto until July 2020 (but it will be wireless!), the OTA (Over the Air) updates for iDrive aren't available globally (but BMW says will be soon) - although I have had at least three Nav updates OTA already - and the remote app can be glitchy. But overall, the software and tech, to me, is orders of magntude advanced over the Audi. I still get a kick out of the car backing me out of my driveway (it continually remembers the last 150 feet you drove, and there's a feature you can turn on in reverse where it will exactly duplicate your path in reverse, without touching the steering wheel or throttle). It has a built-in "dashcam" feature that activates all four external cameras on demand, or automatically in the event of an accident (based on car sensors), with playback transferable to USB. It unlocks the door when I approach, locks it when I leave, automatically - one of the menu settings. The laser headlights, even hobbled by US regulations (which may be changeable via software, maybe even remotely if the US regulations change, and that specific code is being addressed as we speak) are the best I've seen in any car. If the change is approved, the projection distance will be doubled (as it is in Europe).

I could go on, but you get the idea. The Q7s weren't bad cars - I enjoyed driving them; basic driving features in the Q7 were great, with some exceptions. And the latest generation may have addressed at least some of my dissatisfiers (or not), but the best comparison I could use is it feels like I've stepped out of a Flintstones cartoon and into the Jetsons, and I really don't have a compelling need to go back.

Last edited by Paladin1; 08-01-2020 at 08:03 AM..
Appreciate 1
      08-03-2020, 08:20 AM   #7
3to5toX5toX7
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 528

My wife was a 2017 Q7 Prestige with Dynamic Chassis. I have a 2019 X5 40 with M Sport Package (fully loaded with Executive, Bowers, etc). Here is my quick summary:

X5 - Engine, transmission (even though they are the same ZF), electronics, and drivability are all significantly better in the G05.

Q7 - Ride quality and interior build quality are significantly better. The Q7 feel better built overall to me. It's significantly more solid, zero creeks, pops, and other sounds (my G05 has plenty). Electronics are more cumbersome, road feedback is too much (follows the road), and the engine is laggy. Lastly, the back seat in the Q7 is quite a bit better and easier to get in and out of.

We find that we drive the Q7 more when my daughter is with us (she can get in and out easier), we are carrying three golf bags (cargo area is bigger), or running errands. We drive the X5 more when we head to the mountains and I am driving longer, as the Q7 starts to wear on me. The car take more mental effort to drive as the throttle response lags and the steering just follows ruts in the road too much.

If BMW could get the interior build quality of Audi, it would be perfect. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 05:12 PM   #8
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Thanks for the replies, I had F15 so I am familiar with the major feature differences like not having Auto Hold was a shocker for me, but since I didn't have some of the other advanced tech like the traffic jam assist or active cruise control that adjusts speed combined with traffic sign recognition, those were really cool to have on Q7.

I am not entirely unhappy with it, but just unhappy with what they did in the latest update. Instead of fixing what they missed, they actually ended up making it worse with all touch, and worse mpg, and possibly worse performance.

So my main concern was the driving experience in terms of road noise, acceleration, steering feel, transmission downshifts and things like that. I didn't really want to test drive until it's close to lease end. E70 had horrible, beyond acceptable throttle lag, they fixed it on F15, but going from F15 to Q7, I never really felt that bad of a throttle lag. I drive in personalized with steering in performance rest in normal, and when going to Sport mode, it's very snappy for the size. My biggest complain with Q7 has always been the side visibility, mirrors are horribly placed, and while they are big, they miss a huge chuck of the picture, and the tech was half dumb but I learned it's the same for all vehicles in same stage autonomous driving. PS: There are ways to go around auto hold with active cruise control, but it needs to be activated, you might as well pull the brake yourself.

Baca is right on when it comes to ride quality. With X5, I always had to swerve or at least try to avoid highway storm drains and on 495 going West towards city there are like millions of these. I hated them on my X5 and I always wished I had air suspension. With Standard suspension on Q7, they don't bother me as much. My X5 always squeaked one place or another. 23k miles on Q7, not a single squeak or smell (my F15 had horrible grease smell from sunroof, I couldn't keep it open)

Interesting that Q7 tires you more but maybe I am not comparing apples to apples since advanced cruise control is a life saver (apart from screaming keep your hands on wheel or lanes are not detected warning chimes). Back seat on Q7 is cavernous, just huge, you can tell by the doors. X5 2nd row is kinda squished and rear seats never completely felt comfortable, they are kind of thin material I think on X5. I forgot to check there is no hump in the middle on 2nd row, right?
      08-03-2020, 05:42 PM   #9
doctorttt
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 G06

While I didn't consider Q7 at all, I did test drove both Q8 and G05 x40i. For Q8, I noticed the difference in power under normal mode compared to G05. G05 x40i was just a lot better in normal drive mode. Forget about Q8's sport mode, it was also very weak compared to G05's in my view.

I ended up leasing G06 x40i and I'm happy with it.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 06:54 PM   #10
G050i
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05) 50i w/ M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde View Post
Considering going back to BMW, so I would love to hear from those who did the same.
Initially going from F15 to Q7 MKII was a little awkward for me, but over all it grew on me, and now I kinda feel at home, but I am not happy with the changes in latest Q7 redesign, especially the engine, fuel economy, and all-touch tech. Otherwise, it's an amazing vehicle.

If anyone came from Audi and has been driving the G05 for a while, I hope I can hear some feedback before I narrow down my choices.
Like some here I came from a 2019 Q7 Prestige w/ Black Optic and the 21 inch RS wheels and pretty much fully loaded inside. For what it was worth and at the time I thought it was the best looking in its class. Granted the F15s were out but I heard about upcoming changes and I'm the kind of person who would be super pissed having bought a particular generation model only for 1 year later a new one to come out. Since they had just refreshed the Q7 I felt good about the choice. Plus my second kid was on the way.

After about 2 years I just felt so bland and unexcited at the wheel and turned to my wife and said l need a better driving car. Kids were facing forward in their car seat so that was enough for me.

Going to the G05 was a no brainer for me. I ended up with the 50i since the M50i wasn't available yet but regardless I'm still very happy with the switch. It's hard to compare the 50i to the Q7 but even having test drove the 40i first it was a better car in every category for me. Luxury interior, tech, power, handling, styling, everything.

I would never go back from here. Only up. I always thought Audi messed the Q7 and Q8 up by providing zero power for the price tag they asked for. Granted the RSQ8 is now available but that's another level of car. Apples to apples (3.0T vs 40i) I would grab the 40i all day. Im also a kind of person that will sacrifice some practicality for a better driving experience.

In fact if the X7 was available when I was looking in 2019 I probably would've picked that up instead of the X5 for space purposes.

Hope to go X5M next or Cayenne GTS as they are bringing back V8s. I had the first generation GTS and no other SUV has driven better. At least that I've owned. Porsche is just special tho.
Appreciate 0