BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-04-2020, 07:51 AM   #1
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i, 2020 Alfa 4C

New in Idrive - "Window open app"???

Got the notification to download 3 days ago...... downloaded the 11.2019.70 update.... finished yesterday afternoon.

Yes... all my Bimmercode coding was gone. I re-accomplished it all again. No big deal.

My tune, and my increased HP readout on my sport gauges however... stayed put. Thank goodness for that. While BMW updates (and reverting to stock tuning) is covered under my dynotune warrantee... I didn't particularly want to go through that whole process again.

I've noticed NOTHING different...... except in my apps folder, there is the "Window Open app"????

No explanation... no description. I guess you can "program" your windows to open at a certain location???

Why would this ever be useful? What exactly is the purpose of this?
6-Piston/4-piston BBK:https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2097342
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 08:10 AM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefourteener View Post
...in my apps folder, there is the "Window Open app"????

No explanation... no description. I guess you can "program" your windows to open at a certain location???

Hmmm, if I had this option and it works as you've mentioned...I would program a window to open at the entrance to my gated parking lot or garage at work, or the entry to my gated community where I live, or my favorite drive thru restaurant, my drive thru bank window, or if I lived were the highways were toll roads and I didn't have an "E" pass that allowed me to "roll-thru" the toll gate without paying.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 08:13 AM   #3
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Got the notification to download 3 days ago...... downloaded the 11.2019.70 update.... finished yesterday afternoon.

Yes... all my Bimmercode coding was gone. I re-accomplished it all again. No big deal.

My tune, and my increased HP readout on my sport gauges however... stayed put. Thank goodness for that. While BMW updates (and reverting to stock tuning) is covered under my dynotune warrantee... I didn't particularly want to go through that whole process again.

I've noticed NOTHING different...... except in my apps folder, there is the "Window Open app"????

Well, lets say both your arms are broken and are in a cast that are perfectly set to match your steering wheel, therefore you cannot reach your window switches. You can now program your windows to open at your favorite Starbucks, Burger King or drive up pub.

Seriously, that is what it does. There is a good thread about it here somewhere but not under its own title, I just looked but didn't come across it. It uses your GPS to know where you are and then opens the window, don't know if it closes it as you drive away but am sure the answer will be forthcoming soon from someone who uses it. At least one owner uses it for when they pull up at their ID station at work and has to scan their badge. It also gives the German programmers at BMW something to do.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 08:45 AM   #4
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Here's another thread discussing this app and it's usefulness.

Personally I think it would be useful at drive through that you frequent and at work if you need a FOB to access your parking deck/campus/etc. Or a condo/apartment complex that also has restricted access requiring FOBs.

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...ghlight=window
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 10:32 AM   #5
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i, 2020 Alfa 4C

Wow..... bizarre. I can't believe somebody dedicated time and effort to this...... so that people don't have to go through the "arduous process" of rolling down their windows?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 10:35 AM   #6
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Wow..... bizarre. I can't believe somebody dedicated time and effort to this...... so that people don't have to go through the "arduous process" of rolling down their windows?
BMW doesn't want you getting a blister on your finger.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 04:37 PM   #7
sjak92
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 30d MY24 + G20 M340i MY24

Quote:

Lucky. Went from same version to same version as you. BimmerCode wiped, tune wiped
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 03:29 AM   #8
Unit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
I guess you've never tried loading an AR15, getting into a steady position ready to fire on a drive-by and then remembering you need to drop the window?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 11:37 AM   #9
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Quote:
By the early 2000's we had all the features we needed. Everything after that has been various degrees of useful but totally unnecessary when you look at it from the point of view of "But I can do that manually, I don't need the car to do that for me" - Its never stopped any manufacturer from continuing to roll out these features.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 11:58 AM   #10
ikheetleon
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e 2020

Quote:
It's because the windows lower with the speed of a glacier, so you can automate this deadslow process.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 04:46 PM   #11
edtreo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i MSport

I wonder if they would add something similar for the panoramic shade to trigger on particular time.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 10:13 PM   #12
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by edtreo View Post
I wonder if they would add something similar for the panoramic shade to trigger on particular time.
Like when sensing incoming ICBMs or meteors?

https://hitchhikers.fandom.com/wiki/...ive_Sunglasses