BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-16-2020, 04:59 PM   #1
Marissa5peu
Rep
Drives: BMW 2019 X5 5.0 i

Damaged headlampcover

The driver side headlamp on my 2019 BMW X5 5.0 i was vandalized .
The laser lamps are still working .BMW say that I cannot get a new cover to replace the damaged one and that I need a new assembly that will cost 6k ! I can get a new cover for $300 on line . Is there any reason the damaged cover cannot be replaced ?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 11:53 PM   #2
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

Potential water issues from breaking the seal and replacing it. Seems most common thing is to remove all components, bake it in the oven, pull the lens off, clean all the adhesive/sealant and then reverse the process.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 10:48 AM   #3
Marissa5peu
Rep

2019 bmw x5

Thanks so much . So if I read you correctly it could be replaced but using the extra care you quoted .
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 01:44 PM   #4
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marissa5peu View Post
Thanks so much . So if I read you correctly it could be replaced but using the extra care you quoted .
It's possible yeah, but if there are any issues with that headlight or the interior components, you'd be out of pocket on it entirely.

I had a cracked lens on my 540, the housing was close to $3k (BMW dealer pricing) without any of the actual internal components. I opted to not try the bake&replace because it's a lease and I was worried I'd screw something up.

You can also try finding a used housing on ebay or an auto dismantler, https://www.car-part.com/. In fact I just searched the site. I don't know if it's your driver or passenger side, and there are a few out there that say $$Call for pricing, while others are $1500-$2500 which could have light scratches etc in the cover. Something else to consider, it works fine, so you just need the shell - none of the interior components. You'll see some for sale are the complete unit and some are just the shell, so some negotiating power there for the places that charge the same for a shell vs. full unit.

Last edited by timmahh; 06-17-2020 at 01:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 06:23 PM   #5
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i, 2020 Alfa 4C

Insurance claim?
Appreciate 1
Delgv49.00
      06-17-2020, 07:16 PM   #6
Marissa5peu
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmahh View Post
It's possible yeah, but if there are any issues with that headlight or the interior components, you'd be out of pocket on it entirely.

I had a cracked lens on my 540, the housing was close to $3k (BMW dealer pricing) without any of the actual internal components. I opted to not try the bake&replace because it's a lease and I was worried I'd screw something up.

You can also try finding a used housing on ebay or an auto dismantler, https://www.car-part.com/. In fact I just searched the site. I don't know if it's your driver or passenger side, and there are a few out there that say $$Call for pricing, while others are $1500-$2500 which could have light scratches etc in the cover. Something else to consider, it works fine, so you just need the shell - none of the interior components. You'll see some for sale are the complete unit and some are just the shell, so some negotiating power there for the places that charge the same for a shell vs. full unit.
Thanks for all the information —I’m currently waiting for a driver side shell to be delivered from China ! I was a little sceptical to start with but after seeing that China is the biggest buyer of BMW ‘s in the world and the supplier of the shell assuring me that it would be a perfect fit -I decided to gamble with the $300 !
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 03:48 PM   #7
Marissa5peu
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefourteener View Post
Insurance claim?
Making the insurance claim would be a last resort for me -that claim might put my premium up -but I’ll have to live with it if I go that route
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 09:29 AM   #8
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Making the insurance claim would be a last resort for me -that claim might put my premium up -but I’ll have to live with it if I go that route
Depending on your insurance carrier - if you make a comprehensive claim agaisnt your policy, it shouldn't affect your rates. Only accidents and traffic violations should do that. Now if you make 2 comp claims in a year, your insurance carrier may increase your risk rating, but that's something you would need to discuss with your agent.

If it were me, I would call my agent and see what they have to say. I would want to replace the part OEM since the car is so new.

I remember when I used to drive an Acura TSX, my fog light blew out. This was after about 6 years of owning it. Acura wanted 300 bucks to replace, but I found one on eBay for 100 bucks. I was obviously upset at Acura for trying to gouge me. Well, I had to replace that one eBay China special every year after that until I finally ponied up the money for the Acura spec one. Apparently the glass that Acura specs was more substantial than the eBay China special. Something to consider when not buying OEM parts.
Appreciate 1
      06-26-2020, 09:51 AM   #9
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
In addition to VTENGR's excellent post...

It might even be illegal for your insurance carrier to raise your rates for a comprehensive claim. It is in PA.

Insurance can't surcharge you for something that is outside of your control. You can be responsible for your driving characteristics and the surcharge is aimed at reflecting that. You can't be responsible for a deer deciding to run in front of your car or a nut job deciding to smash car windows in your area.

Additionally, if you insurance did find a way to raise your rates due to the claim I'd shop around and switch companies. You pay good money for the insurance you shouldn't be scared to use it. Otherwise, what are you paying for???
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 08:18 AM   #10
IftiBashir
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 MSport 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
In addition to VTENGR's excellent post...

It might even be illegal for your insurance carrier to raise your rates for a comprehensive claim. It is in PA.

Insurance can't surcharge you for something that is outside of your control. You can be responsible for your driving characteristics and the surcharge is aimed at reflecting that. You can't be responsible for a deer deciding to run in front of your car or a nut job deciding to smash car windows in your area.

Additionally, if you insurance did find a way to raise your rates due to the claim I'd shop around and switch companies. You pay good money for the insurance you shouldn't be scared to use it. Otherwise, what are you paying for???
100% agree.
However, the situation (at least in the UK) is generally when renewing insurance you get asked if you have had any claims in the last 5 years. Unfortunately, as soon as you say yes, you can assume a higher premium straight away!
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 02:16 PM   #11
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36, E46, E90, G05 and MB W205

On my e90 I had used a dremel to cut open the lens from the headlight and then glued it back on using the recommended glue for headlight/car parts (forgot what it is called) and i had zero leak issues or anything. If you are doing it the right way then you shouldn't have any issues. Of course do this at your own risk but my opinion is that it is worth spending $300 before spending $6k as long as you don't break anything else in the headlight and if you do then anyway you will have to spend $6k. So worth a shot.
Appreciate 0