BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-25-2020, 08:05 AM   #1
Crimsonboz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7

Ride Quality

Good morning all,

Current X7 owner and will be moving to a 5 or 6 soon. My major question is, and I’ve search and read as much as possible but the M suspension, what is it? How does it do as a daily driver? I live in a small town with straight roads, some construction. My X7 obviously rides like a cloud, it’s pretty amazing but I’m ok with a slight difference. My question is does the M competition in either 5 or 6 ride like a stagecoach? Thanks for your time.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 08:55 AM   #2
GlennC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 GLE 63S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimsonboz View Post
Good morning all,

Current X7 owner and will be moving to a 5 or 6 soon. My major question is, and I’ve search and read as much as possible but the M suspension, what is it? How does it do as a daily driver? I live in a small town with straight roads, some construction. My X7 obviously rides like a cloud, it’s pretty amazing but I’m ok with a slight difference. My question is does the M competition in either 5 or 6 ride like a stagecoach? Thanks for your time.
It really comes down to personal preference. I've driven both the X7 and X5MC and from my perspective, the rides are completely different. I found the M too stiff for me as a daily driver but others think it's just fine. I suggest you take the M for a test drive so you can feel it yourself.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 09:52 AM   #3
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

The M is a purpose built vehicle and will not ride nearly as comfortable as a M Sport or other M-lite package that has a “comfort” selection in its adaptive ride dynamics. I felt the X5M should have had a slightly more comfortable ride even for a full M suv in its adaptive suspension selections.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 09:57 AM   #4
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

I would say with 100% certainty that the X5M Competition will have zero driving/handling characteristic from a X7. A regular X5 40i or X5M50 with Msport suspension will be more similar to the X7 but more sporty.

My current X5MC rides stiff even in comfort mode. Its fine for most roads but when you drive on just broken pavement or those raised edges that goes across the entire lane you def. feel it. Coming from an M3 Competition its still softer overall but not as much as you would imagine. To me this iteration feels stiffer than the last gen F85 even with 22"s all around. I wonder if the Pirelli PZeros have anything to do with it being more stiff compared to cars with Michelin tires. I am tempted to try the Michelin tires but its sort of a waste of the Pirellis

Alan
      06-25-2020, 12:02 PM   #5
Crimsonboz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
The M is a purpose built vehicle and will not ride nearly as comfortable as a M Sport or other M-lite package that has a “comfort” selection in its adaptive ride dynamics. I felt the X5M should have had a slightly more comfortable ride even for a full M suv in its adaptive suspension selections.

Yeah the Mrs. Has a new X4M and it’s fast and fun but comfort wise is not so great and it’s missing a few features. I really like the looks and power of the X5M but I drive a lot, and that worries me on ride quality. Maybe an M50i ? I dunno, this world lol.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 12:13 PM   #6
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

^^ the X5 M50i sounds like the sweet spot for you and probably 98% of others out there.
      06-25-2020, 12:28 PM   #7
Crimsonboz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
^^ the X5 M50i sounds like the sweet spot for you and probably 98% of others out there.
It seems like the power is fairly comparable. Obviously the M pure is designed for 1 thing and 1 thing only. One issue is I love the look of the M.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 02:20 PM   #8
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

If the X5 M rides anything like the X3/4M I wouldn't want it, incredibly harsh ride in the X3 M, even caused my dog to throw up in the back when we had an overnight test drive the car simply sees a bump and transfers it into the cabin and its occupants, even if its an M car its inexcusable in an SUV in my opinion, not to mention there are other SUV's that handle well or even better than the X3/4/5/6M and still are comfortable (Porsche Macan/Cayenne, new GLE63).

I imagine having an X7 which rides buttery smooth on air suspension will make you notice every little bump in the X5 M, I'd recommend a Cayenne, X5 M50 or GLE63 for a better ride but still fun and fast SUV.
gtenedio348.00
      06-25-2020, 03:05 PM   #9
DCCane
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstein55 View Post
If the X5 M rides anything like the X3/4M I wouldn't want it, incredibly harsh ride in the X3 M, even caused my dog to throw up in the back when we had an overnight test drive the car simply sees a bump and transfers it into the cabin and its occupants, even if its an M car its inexcusable in an SUV in my opinion, not to mention there are other SUV's that handle well or even better than the X3/4/5/6M and still are comfortable (Porsche Macan/Cayenne, new GLE63).

I imagine having an X7 which rides buttery smooth on air suspension will make you notice every little bump in the X5 M, I'd recommend a Cayenne, X5 M50 or GLE63 for a better ride but still fun and fast SUV.
Apologies for derailing the thread but how did you go about getting the dealer to allow an overnight test drive? I'm about to be in the market for a new ride and would love to have this option.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 03:20 PM   #10
stein_325i
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCCane View Post
Quote:

Apologies for derailing the thread but how did you go about getting the dealer to allow an overnight test drive? I'm about to be in the market for a new ride and would love to have this option.
I'm friends with the manager and my salesman, and have bought cars from them for over 20+ years so I'm a "priority customer." The X3M I test drove was also used, with 4k miles so they didn't worry about a few extra miles (only added around 120) and my salesman thought I would buy it since he knew the wife and I were in the market for an SUV for my dog Finn and our grandchildren, since my son is taking his old X3 to college.

I'll add that the ride was so harsh that my dog couldn't fall asleep, he barked/whined when hitting bumps, and like I said in my original post he barfed in it (luckily on a towel). We decided the X3 M was overkill for our needs and purchased a GLC. In the end wife is happy with the Merc, but even more so Finn is happy that he can sleep in the back of the car and he hasn't thrown up at all
DCCane33.50
      06-25-2020, 03:35 PM   #11
DCCane
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm friends with the manager and my salesman, and have bought cars from them for over 20+ years so I'm a "priority customer." The X3M I test drove was also used, with 4k miles so they didn't worry about a few extra miles (only added around 120) and my salesman thought I would buy it since he knew the wife and I were in the market for an SUV for my dog Finn and our grandchildren, since my son is taking his old X3 to college.

I'll add that the ride was so harsh that my dog couldn't fall asleep, he barked/whined when hitting bumps, and like I said in my original post he barfed in it (luckily on a towel). We decided the X3 M was overkill for our needs and purchased a GLC. In the end wife is happy with the Merc, but even more so Finn is happy that he can sleep in the back of the car and he hasn't thrown up at all
Appreciate the info! Sounds like an established history might be needed in order to get an overnight test drive. Happy to hear the family is happy (especially Finn)!
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25051.00
      06-25-2020, 03:38 PM   #12
stein_325i
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Appreciate the info! Sounds like an established history might be needed in order to get an overnight test drive. Happy to hear the family is happy (especially Finn)!
Yes history does help. Also act like you are 90% sold but the last 10% to get you there is extra time with the vehicle. Usually with used vehicles dealers are more open to the idea of miles added.
DCCane33.50
      06-25-2020, 04:26 PM   #13
DCCane
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yes history does help. Also act like you are 90% sold but the last 10% to get you there is extra time with the vehicle. Usually with used vehicles dealers are more open to the idea of miles added.
Thanks! I'm in the market for a new car but I'll use that approach.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25051.00
      06-25-2020, 09:37 PM   #14
Hunter399
Major General
Rep
Drives: F90M5

After taking delivery of my X5MC in San Antonio and driving back to Houston i found the ride to be plenty comfortable coming from an F90 M5. It is fir, but it really doesn't bother me even after reading all the reviews complaining of the harshness. I went and test drove the M50i trying to convince myself to save the difference but there is no comparison whatsoever between the 2.
Appreciate 1
BiGFather154.00
      06-25-2020, 10:47 PM   #15
GSG5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5MC (MBB/SS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter399 View Post
After taking delivery of my X5MC in San Antonio and driving back to Houston i found the ride to be plenty comfortable coming from an F90 M5. It is fir, but it really doesn't bother me even after reading all the reviews complaining of the harshness. I went and test drove the M50i trying to convince myself to save the difference but there is no comparison whatsoever between the 2.
Congrats on your new ride. Which one did you buy - the MBB or Ametrin? I saw they had both for sale.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 03:45 AM   #16
Syscrusher
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Competition Package

Quote:
I am with this guy here. I came from an m3 competition and the ride is pure heaven to me in the X5MC. I tried the X5 m50i and I completely lost interest in the SUV until I test drove the X5MC.

It's not sloppy and has no feeling like the m50i. This has precision, firmness and maneuverability. The reviews of harshness scared me and required me to test drive it. But after I did I sealed the deal.

Is it a comfy, floaty sloppy ride? No. But that's not what it was meant to be. You are supposed to feel the road. But you don't feel it In a very harsh way like you do in an m3 riding competition wheels even though the wheels are even bigger. This car is plenty comfortable. When driving I feel like I can sometimes fall asleep in comfort mode. Lol. Not the best idea but there you go.
My two cents.
2014 335 xi M Performance Edition BSM/Black
2007 Lexus IS 350
Appreciate 1
BiGFather154.00
      06-26-2020, 08:33 AM   #17
Hunter399
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSG5 View Post
Congrats on your new ride. Which one did you buy - the MBB or Ametrin? I saw they had both for sale.
Thanks-Went with MBB. I called in a on whim just to inquire and they gave me a fantastic deal and were incredibly easy to deal with. DM me if you would like to know who i dealt with there. I had no idea they are the largest BMW dealership in North America.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 09:11 AM   #18
GSG5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5MC (MBB/SS)

Quote:
Thanks-Went with MBB. I called in a on whim just to inquire and they gave me a fantastic deal and were incredibly easy to deal with. DM me if you would like to know who i dealt with there. I had no idea they are the largest BMW dealership in North America.
Sounds like a complete no-brainer...good for you. Mine is in production now (started on Monday), so barring any further delays it should land at my dealership in Dallas in 2-3 weeks. It’s the same exact spec you just bought, but with silverstone interior instead of black. Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 10:57 AM   #19
Hunter399
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSG5 View Post
Sounds like a complete no-brainer...good for you. Mine is in production now (started on Monday), so barring any further delays it should land at my dealership in Dallas in 2-3 weeks. It’s the same exact spec you just bought, but with silverstone interior instead of black. Enjoy!
Congrats!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 03:43 PM   #20
BiGFather
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30 540i xDrive Mperformance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syscrusher View Post
Quote:
I am with this guy here. I came from an m3 competition and the ride is pure heaven to me in the X5MC. I tried the X5 m50i and I completely lost interest in the SUV until I test drove the X5MC.

It's not sloppy and has no feeling like the m50i. This has precision, firmness and maneuverability. The reviews of harshness scared me and required me to test drive it. But after I did I sealed the deal.

Is it a comfy, floaty sloppy ride? No. But that's not what it was meant to be. You are supposed to feel the road. But you don't feel it In a very harsh way like you do in an m3 riding competition wheels even though the wheels are even bigger. This car is plenty comfortable. When driving I feel like I can sometimes fall asleep in comfort mode. Lol. Not the best idea but there you go.
My two cents.
Thanks. You guys here made me sure I choice good.

I am going from 540i mperformance. A like the comfort in adaptive but there is no response and its like "on gum" feeling. I like the comfort until its warmed up, after that I just drive in sport plus only; even in city - where I drive 70%.
In sport plus its much better but still the steering should me much harder and mb slightly bit the car reactions also.

Hope the X5MC going to "fill my missing spots". 😊
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 03:07 AM   #21
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Curious what tires did yours come with? I am really interested to see how a X5M fitted with Michelin’s would feel like compared to my Pirellis

Alan
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 04:27 PM   #22
jphcbpa
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M550i & 2023 X7 40i

How is the ride compared to the f85 ?
Appreciate 0