BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-10-2020, 12:38 PM   #1
bforbrian
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 x40i

Custom Build - Dealer Information vs. MyBMW

Riddle me this... I've been tracking my custom order 2020 BMW X5 and it finally says 'AT THE DEALERSHIP.' I called my dealership and they said that in their system, it still says 'AT PROCESSING CENTER,' which he clarified means the vehicle just got off the boat (at port?). This is where I was confused, since I know all X5s are manufactured in Spartanburg, SC. He said that due to COVID-19, they closed the plants down, and moved production to Germany, so some X5s are being delivered across seas. My understanding was that yes, the Spartanburg SC plant was closed, but re-opened early May, which explains the delay in deliveries. I had no idea that they moved production of X5s to Germany. He also said that sometimes MyBMW can update information prematurely.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 05:51 PM   #2
JonnyCrash
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: VW GTI, BMW X5 40i M-Sport

I would believe that the MyBMW might update early. I don’t believe that they would have moved production to Germany, as that would involve retooling an entire assembly line as well as shipping components all over the world. I’m pretty sure your dealer is talking out of their buttocks to try and calm down a customer who’s car isn’t yet on their lot.

It’s stuff like this that gives car dealerships a bad name, frankly. How hard is it to say “you know, I don’t understand what it is saying in the system, but the car should be here soon and we’ll call you as soon as it arrives.”?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 08:18 PM   #3
bforbrian
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 x40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyCrash View Post
I would believe that the MyBMW might update early. I don’t believe that they would have moved production to Germany, as that would involve retooling an entire assembly line as well as shipping components all over the world. I’m pretty sure your dealer is talking out of their buttocks to try and calm down a customer who’s car isn’t yet on their lot.

It’s stuff like this that gives car dealerships a bad name, frankly. How hard is it to say “you know, I don’t understand what it is saying in the system, but the car should be here soon and we’ll call you as soon as it arrives.”?
For what they're worth, they were the ones to give me the best discount off MSRP haha. But yeah what he said did not sound credible
Appreciate 0