BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-03-2020, 09:01 AM   #1
IftiBashir
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 MSport 40i

Reversing Assistant Question

I understand how the feature works but is the reversing assistant always active when Im driving at low speed??
Or do I have to switch it on so it 'remembers' the route I take??
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 09:12 AM   #2
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by IftiBashir View Post
I understand how the feature works but is the reversing assistant always active when Im driving at low speed??
Or do I have to switch it on so it 'remembers' the route I take??
Does it automatically.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 09:13 AM   #3
Addbuyer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Its always on. When you select reverse gear the camera comes on and on the right of the picture is a menu. Select reverse assist (touch screen) and let go of the steering wheel, operate the accelerator and enjoy
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 11:32 AM   #4
IftiBashir
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 MSport 40i

Thanks guys - will try it out......carefully!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 08:57 PM   #5
Frenetic
PANIC!
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

This is actually one of my favorite features. I have tight space to park in my garage at the moment due to remodeling (I’m talking mere inches on both sides of the mirrors) and it backs me out with aplomb.

I never use the accelerator pedal, just the brakes. Keep your foot fully engaged on the brakes, turn it on then slowly release the brakes and it will back you out slowly. It will auto brake if it gets too close to something.
Appreciate 2
X5 45e1089.00
Paladin15513.50
      08-04-2020, 09:04 PM   #6
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenetic View Post
This is actually one of my favorite features. I have tight space to park in my garage at the moment due to remodeling (I’m talking mere inches on both sides of the mirrors) and it backs me out with aplomb.

I never use the accelerator pedal, just the brakes. Keep your foot fully engaged on the brakes, turn it on then slowly release the brakes and it will back you out slowly. It will auto brake if it gets too close to something.
mine too! this is a very very underrated feature that I use almost constantly, no matter where I park. Our house has two garages but each garage has its own garage door. And I have stuff stacked on the sides of the garage which makes it a delicate fit.

With this feature and IAS, I no longer have to worry how I get the car into the garage because I can make adjustments to the steering wheel as soon as I clear the garage door, so that I can then make room for the drivers side door to open fully.

Every time I back out, I use the backup assistant, and it just takes all of that stress away. I rarely use the self parking feature, but I always use backup assistant. its a wonderful wonderful feature.
Appreciate 2
Frenetic481.00
Paladin15513.50
      08-04-2020, 09:29 PM   #7
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenetic View Post
This is actually one of my favorite features. I have tight space to park in my garage at the moment due to remodeling (I'm talking mere inches on both sides of the mirrors) and it backs me out with aplomb.

It works great but as Frenetic says : put your foot on the brake and slowly release and only use the brake to adapt your speed. If you don't it goes to fast.

2nd: it can't adapt to new objects after you parked: if you parked in a empty public parking lot and when you return it is full it will obviously still follow the trajectory you did in the morning (with a wide supple corner over the parking space that are now taken). I haven't tested if it will auto brake if the car is to close to others, I stopped the action my self once it started beeping and I saw it wasn't possible anyway.

So if you still want to use it, make sure you drive in the middle and far from parking spaces that will be potentially taken.

Now that I think of it, would be nice if the trajectory was show on the parking cameras
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18114.50
      09-25-2020, 10:09 PM   #8
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

So if you make multiple moves while trying to get into parking lot, it will stop at last gear shift from reverse to drive? Sometimes you have to go into parking lot, then right before you park, you may need to reverse a little and the back into place to tuck-in nicely. Does this mean it will completely forget all previous forward driving and just pull you out and that's it?

Is this part of parking assist package on X5 40i?
      09-25-2020, 10:39 PM   #9
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde View Post
So if you make multiple moves while trying to get into parking lot, it will stop at last gear shift from reverse to drive? Sometimes you have to go into parking lot, then right before you park, you may need to reverse a little and the back into place to tuck-in nicely. Does this mean it will completely forget all previous forward driving and just pull you out and that's it?

Is this part of parking assist package on X5 40i?
Interesting point. I will test it to see what happens.

I recently saw that the car has a parking out function too. That might be better to get out of a parking spot. When putting the car in reverse or pushing on parking assist a blue arrow appears on the screen and you can chose the direction on the screen when parking out to activate.

Reversing assistant works best when you drove in a narrow alley between two buildings for example, even more if it has a 90 deg corner in it. It will just reverse like you entered.
Appreciate 1
hyde531.50
      09-25-2020, 11:53 PM   #10
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Thanks, will wait to see your findings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post

Reversing assistant works best when you drove in a narrow alley between two buildings for example, even more if it has a 90 deg corner in it. It will just reverse like you entered.

This is exactly what I do every day, but with an exception that I wouldn't be able to back out the way I came in because I would then have to back out to a street instead of pulling out. However if it remembers last few maneuvers, it would be interesting to see how it handles that part.

I would assume it would stop driving on it's on when it's just too narrow, most likely needs more than a foot of clearance on both sides, which I don't get when I get into my 100 year old townhouse's driveway.
      09-28-2020, 04:41 AM   #11
G Whizz UK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 30dMSport

Still to try this out yet, but has triggered a thought. At what speed does it stop? Just thinking about my recent trip round the Lake District where I had to reverse back up the road to a passing spot multiple times - just wondering if I could have used this function. I'm guessing that the speed is probably under 10mph so probably not...?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 06:55 AM   #12
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:
So if you make multiple moves while trying to get into parking lot, it will stop at last gear shift from reverse to drive?
That's correct. So if your entire path into the garage is 100ft, but your last shift from reverse to drive was 5ft, it will only remember the last 5ft, after which point it'll ping you to take over.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 12:01 AM   #13
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
That's correct. So if your entire path into the garage is 100ft, but your last shift from reverse to drive was 5ft, it will only remember the last 5ft, after which point it'll ping you to take over.
Oh wow, better not make any shifts and slide into that spot in one go.
Do you think we will ever get remote controlled or app controlled back-up option on X5?
      09-29-2020, 01:14 AM   #14
Addbuyer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Whizz UK View Post
Still to try this out yet, but has triggered a thought. At what speed does it stop? Just thinking about my recent trip round the Lake District where I had to reverse back up the road to a passing spot multiple times - just wondering if I could have used this function. I'm guessing that the speed is probably under 10mph so probably not...?
It might not be much help in the situations you mention, it only works for approx 50 mtrs or the likes and then bleeps to tell you it’s disengaged.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 02:45 AM   #15
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addbuyer View Post
It might not be much help in the situations you mention, it only works for approx 50 mtrs or the likes and then bleeps to tell you it’s disengaged.
This may be a big ask, but ... Wondering if anyone knows if there's an easy way to back out of spots going in the opposite direction you came in?

The use case would be a parking ramp with a tight spot: you drove into the spot head first, but when you back out you don't want to reverse the same way you came in a la reverse assistant as that would send you out of the parking ramp backwards ... rather you want the vehicle to back out and point the tail in the opposite direction as you pulled in.

This seems similar to the parallel parking assistant that sets you up leave the spot, but doesn't pull you out into traffic ... it'd be awesome if the parking assistant allowed you to pick the direction of the tail end and then pulled you out - I can think of a few places where I'd enter and exit the car from the tail gate!

Would be great to have the car automatically back you out of a tight spot, but pointed in the right direction.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 06:15 AM   #16
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:
Oh wow, better not make any shifts and slide into that spot in one go.
Do you think we will ever get remote controlled or app controlled back-up option on X5?
I'm a bit surprised we don't already have the option in the X5. It's available in the 7 series so I suppose it's just a matter of time before it trickles down to the other models.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 01:12 AM   #17
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
This may be a big ask, but ... Wondering if anyone knows if there's an easy way to back out of spots going in the opposite direction you came in?

The use case would be a parking ramp with a tight spot: you drove into the spot head first, but when you back out you don't want to reverse the same way you came in a la reverse assistant as that would send you out of the parking ramp backwards ... rather you want the vehicle to back out and point the tail in the opposite direction as you pulled in.

This seems similar to the parallel parking assistant that sets you up leave the spot, but doesn't pull you out into traffic ... it'd be awesome if the parking assistant allowed you to pick the direction of the tail end and then pulled you out - I can think of a few places where I'd enter and exit the car from the tail gate!

Would be great to have the car automatically back you out of a tight spot, but pointed in the right direction.
I doubt they are that smart yet. It doesn't seem to recognize what you did/want to do, just remembers last X meters of distance and replicates it. What would be great is if we just open the overhead view on screen, and draw on it what we want BMW to do, Then it can pull out facing the right direction so we can control the rest instead of it reversing out the way you came on a 1 way parking lot, and possibly reversing on the wrong side of the lane since.
      10-01-2020, 01:25 PM   #18
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
I doubt they are that smart yet. It doesn't seem to recognize what you did/want to do, just remembers last X meters of distance and replicates it. What would be great is if we just open the overhead view on screen, and draw on it what we want BMW to do, Then it can pull out facing the right direction so we can control the rest instead of it reversing out the way you came on a 1 way parking lot, and possibly reversing on the wrong side of the lane since.
Agreed, and the parking assistant seems to at least half way do this with parallel parking, i.e., it shows you an arrow of the direction which you have to click for it to pull you out ...

It would be great to do the same thing with perpendicular parking:
Just show two arrows and you pick the direction you want to pull away and it backs out for you.

I suppose the only reason it doesn't is the not-willing-to-pull-into-a-traffic-lane thing ... so lawyers?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 08:43 PM   #19
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Agreed, and the parking assistant seems to at least half way do this with parallel parking, i.e., it shows you an arrow of the direction which you have to click for it to pull you out ...

It would be great to do the same thing with perpendicular parking:
Just show two arrows and you pick the direction you want to pull away and it backs out for you.

I suppose the only reason it doesn't is the not-willing-to-pull-into-a-traffic-lane thing ... so lawyers?

You are talking about a company who did not make auto-folding mirrors available or remote window roll-up unless you coded them because for some reason they were worried someone would get stuck in folding mirror and sue the company, or disable anti-dazzle because of some DOT regulation. I had to code these on my E70 while they were available in older cars. Audi for example rips out the auto-hold button from US-bound vehicles, while it's available in BMW (I hope it still is available)
      12-30-2020, 03:10 PM   #20
smomin23
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Does anyone know if this is still available on an MY21?

This feature is something I intend to use quite a bit but seems like MY21 is getting all sorts of things stripped left and right. Can't seem to find the reverse assistant feature explicitly stated anywhere.
      12-30-2020, 03:14 PM   #21
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by smomin23 View Post

This feature is something I intend to use quite a bit but seems like MY21 is getting all sorts of things stripped left and right. Can't seem to find the reverse assistant feature explicitly stated anywhere.
The Back-up assistant is part of the Parking Assistant Plus which is in the Parking Assistance Package.
Attached Images

12-30-2020, 03:41 PM   #22
smomin23
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by smomin23 View Post

The Back-up assistant is part of the Parking Assistant Plus which is in the Parking Assistance Package.
Ah okay. Thank you for that. One less thing to worry about when pulling out of the garage in the morning