BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-04-2020, 05:16 AM   #1
StanTheManBG
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4, X6

Question about BMW Connected app scheduled climatisation feature.

I'm yet to pick up my new G06 but had to chance to sync my CD app to it while I was testing it. I notice that there's a "Climatize Now" option within the app. My question is, if I wish to climatize my car via the app does it turn on the engine to cool/warm the cockpit or just gives electrical power to the blower fans to recirculate the current air inside?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 06:56 AM   #2
rparnel1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

It starts the vehicle and the HVAC system tries to maintain the temperature setpoint. Will heat/cool as needed to do this
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 06:58 AM   #3
StanTheManBG
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rparnel1 View Post
It starts the vehicle and the HVAC system tries to maintain the temperature setpoint. Will heat/cool as needed to do this
Awesome! I was hoping for this answer. Any idea how long it'll keep the car running before turning it off. I'd imagine there a set time and it's not going to run indefinitely
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 07:43 AM   #4
doctorttt
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 G06

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanTheManBG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rparnel1 View Post
Awesome! I was hoping for this answer. Any idea how long it'll keep the car running before turning it off. I'd imagine there a set time and it's not going to run indefinitely
The engine will shut off itself after 15 mins.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 07:45 AM   #5
Unit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

This only works if you have Remote Start though so annoyingly doesn't work in the UK and many other European countries and we have "Ventilate Now" on our version of the app
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 07:52 AM   #6
StanTheManBG
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unit View Post
This only works if you have Remote Start though so annoyingly doesn't work in the UK and many other European countries and we have "Ventilate Now" on our version of the app
Ah damn, I'm in Europe as well. What does the Ventilate Now option do then? Just blow the fans and recirculate the hot air inside?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 08:01 AM   #7
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanTheManBG View Post
Ah damn, I'm in Europe as well. What does the Ventilate Now option do then? Just blow the fans and recirculate the hot air inside?
The parked car ventilation feature that turns on the HVAC blower/fan...brings in fresh ambient air (which is still cooler than the air temp that is built up inside a closed vehicle)...but it's not just "recirculating" the super heated air inside the vehicle.

There are flaps built into the car that open which prevent the build up of air pressure inside the car. If these flaps weren't built in...then it would be difficult to close the doors. So as the blower brings in fresh air and the pressure inside the cabin begins to build...the flaps are pushed open which in turn reduces the temperature inside the cabin by allowing the super heated air to escape to the exterior of the car.

Again, it's not "conditioned/cooled" air blown into the cabin...but the air temp is a lot less than that what was built up inside the car on a hot day with the windows rolled up.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 2
      08-04-2020, 08:08 AM   #8
StanTheManBG
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
The parked car ventilation feature that turns on the HVAC blower/fan...brings in fresh ambient air (which is still cooler than the air temp that is built up inside a closed vehicle)...but it's not just "recirculating" the super heated air inside the vehicle.

There are flaps built into the car that open which prevent the build up of air pressure inside the car. If these flaps weren't built in...then it would be difficult to close the doors. So as the blower brings in fresh air and the pressure inside the cabin begins to build...the flaps are pushed open which in turn reduces the temperature inside the cabin by allowing the super heated air to escape to the exterior of the car.

Again, it's not "conditioned/cooled" air blown into the cabin...but the air temp is a lot less than that what was built up inside the car on a hot day with the windows rolled up.
Thank you for the detailed explanation. It is much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 09:52 AM   #9
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post

This is a great explanation of how this works. I don’t believe anyone has explained the concept like this on the form before.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 11:43 AM   #10
Unit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Yup great explanation 👍🏻
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 11:50 AM   #11
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

I had this on my 6GT and it worked well. It takes the extreme heath out of the car.

Not as good as remotely turning on the AC in the 45e off course.

Don't do it to soon or it will be hot again. And you can do it 2 times max it think
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 01:59 PM   #12
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
This is a great explanation of how this works. I don’t believe anyone has explained the concept like this on the form before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unit View Post
Yup great explanation 👍🏻
Well...thank you kindly for the compliment.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 04:19 PM   #13
Caramel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: blue car, grey car, white bike

Good to know. Thank you!
Appreciate 0