BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-04-2020, 10:15 AM   #1
Mama
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 Msport (G05)

Parking assit

How is this supposed to work?

Let say I'm in drive mode travelling less than 5mph, switch on park assist.
I see the top view and a front camera view. I never get prompted for a parking spot.

What am I doing wrong?
From what I understand I should see a "P" on the screen.
Thanks,
Mama
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 10:23 AM   #2
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama View Post
How is this supposed to work?

Let say I'm in drive mode travelling less than 5mph, switch on park assist.
I see the top view and a front camera view. I never get prompted for a parking spot.

What am I doing wrong?
From what I understand I should see a "P" on the screen.
Thanks,
Mama
First off, do you have that feature on your car? If so.....

Attached Images

Appreciate 1
edtreo88.50
      08-04-2020, 10:43 AM   #3
Mama
Rep

Thanks Marty, I have (or have been sold !) Parking assist plus. I'm able to toggle (ie arrow in box) parking assist. I do have the "P" on the car's roof (as in the image above), I've not noted the other symbols, so will pay more attention to that.
I never get the prompt for the parking space.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 10:55 AM   #4
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Marty, I have (or have been sold !) Parking assist plus. I'm able to toggle (ie arrow in box) parking assist. I do have the "P" on the car's roof (as in the image above), I've not noted the other symbols, so will pay more attention to that.
I never get the prompt for the parking space.
Mama, here's a better tutorial.. ..

Attached Images

Appreciate 1
edtreo88.50
      08-04-2020, 10:57 AM   #5
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

The few times I've experimented with this feature has lead me to believe it will only identify parking spaces if there's other cars parked on the side of the spot (parallel parking). I tried to show it off to my wife in an empty parking lot and it wouldn't catch. So make sure there's at least one car parked on the side of the spot.
Appreciate 1
edtreo88.50
      08-04-2020, 11:08 AM   #6
Mama
Rep

Thanks Marty in NY, how do you view an online version of the manual? - I see it comes with a video.

VTENGR - maybe that's what I'm doing wrong. I've always tried large empty spots - just in case things go wrong . It makes sense that the sensors need to bounce off other object to figure the space.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 11:24 AM   #7
Caramel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: blue car, grey car, white bike

The system will park next to / between other cars. It ignores all the lines on the ground - it will only use other cars as reference points.
Appreciate 1
volodp196.50
      08-04-2020, 11:43 AM   #8
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Marty in NY, how do you view an online version of the manual? - I see it comes with a video.

VTENGR - maybe that's what I'm doing wrong. I've always tried large empty spots - just in case things go wrong . It makes sense that the sensors need to bounce off other object to figure the space.
Just say "Hey BMW" and wait for it to ask you what it can help you with and then say Owners Manual...

You should watch this entire video for a quick tutorial but starting at 5:28 into the video it speaks to the owners manual, this video, if I did it correctly, should start at that point.. .. otherwise just go to that point

Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 11:46 AM   #9
BeemerDreamerNYC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramel View Post
The system will park next to / between other cars. It ignores all the lines on the ground - it will only use other cars as reference points.
This is exactly right. I’ve also found that you need to drive past the space a little more than you would think necessary for it to register and give you the pop up.

As an aside do you know under what conditions it will give you the arrow option to exit a parking space? I used to think it was only after using the park assist to self park but sometimes when I get my car from the garage (where the valet parks it) it gives me that option as well. I can’t imagine the valet is using the self park though. This morning I used it and the car rammed the car behind me though - so watch out! I think maybe we were too close, I’m not really sure how or why it happened - luckily no damage!
Appreciate 0