BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-12-2021, 09:53 PM   #1
Ugenstugen
Rep
Drives: Land Rover LR4 & BMW X5

20" M Star or 21" M Y-Spoke for 45e

We are ordering an xDrive45e. Trying to decide between the 20" M Star or 21" M Y-Spoke. We love the 21" wheels. But, we live in Cleveland so we'll need to get snow tires too. Not an issue but we don't want to buy another set of wheels and would plan to just swap out summer to winter tires on same wheels.

Does anyone else have these 21" wheels and do this? What is your experience? Do you wish you would have just purchased the 20" instead?

Any thoughts from others on this approach?

Also, I know the 21" are more low profile wheels. So, how much more "road" will we feel with 21" vs. 20"?

Thanks everyone!

Chad
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 09:49 AM   #2
JC316
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i | 2009 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugenstugen View Post
We are ordering an xDrive45e. Trying to decide between the 20" M Star or 21" M Y-Spoke. We love the 21" wheels. But, we live in Cleveland so we'll need to get snow tires too. Not an issue but we don't want to buy another set of wheels and would plan to just swap out summer to winter tires on same wheels.

Does anyone else have these 21" wheels and do this? What is your experience? Do you wish you would have just purchased the 20" instead?

Any thoughts from others on this approach?

Also, I know the 21" are more low profile wheels. So, how much more "road" will we feel with 21" vs. 20"?

Thanks everyone!

Chad
I recently put in an order for the 21" 741 Y spoke wheels because I wanted the increased speed limiter and because I felt it was a good compromise between the 20 and 22" wheels.

I am considering purchasing the 20" 740 wheels as a winter set or making them my primary set with all seasons.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 10:11 PM   #3
Ebomb808
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A4

Over time, the expense associated with exchanging tires/TPMS twice a year is not cheap. Economically, getting a second set of winter wheels may end up cheaper in the long run.

I liked the 21" look, but ultimately settled on the 20" wheels for a couple reasons.

One, with the 45e, their is no room for a spare, and their are no available all-season run flat tire options for the staggered 21" setup. None. If I was getting the 40i and the space saver spare, there is one non run flat option at 21", but not willing to take that chance with the 45e.

Second, the benefits of a second wheel/tire setup arent as ideal with a staggered setup, as you can't rotate tires front to back. The costs associated with 12K-15K mile tire life on two setups is expensive.

Third, with the 20" wheels, I can stick with All Season 20" square run flat tires that I can rotate for maximum tire life and can get by without dedicated winter wheels/tires. I also will have a handful of replacement tire options in 25K-30K miles.

Through 50K Miles, your looking at around $3.5K for an OEM winter wheel/tire set, and then at 25K-30K miles, you will be looking to replace all 4 tires on both setups at prices that will be 50% higher per tire than the set of 4 tires I'd need to replace with the 20" setup. I'd estimate a cost increase of $6K over 50K miles for choosing the 21" setup. That just wasn't worth it, to me. YMMV.
Appreciate 3
Auricom4361.50
cptcolo102.00
      03-16-2021, 08:48 AM   #4
xDrivex5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 530D G31 LCi M-sport

I have 22" rims and for winter I just bought 22" pirelli scorpion tyres and swapped for summer tyres. No problem at all, of course i have had snow only once this winter, so can´t comment very much about driving in snow.
My point is that i would definitely go for 21" wheels, because they are much nicer looking
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2021, 08:58 AM   #5
PREDATOR 007
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5

I'm in Dayton and had the same issue.

I ordered the 20" wheels for winter and found the 21" 741 style wheels including tires on here (classified section) for under 3k, shipped.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2021, 03:28 PM   #6
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

I have both wheels. 20's for winter, 21's with summer tires. If I had to choose, go with the 21's. I don't really feel anything gained with the 20's. They were a less expensive winter wheel/tire combo, that's why I have the 20's.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2021, 09:24 PM   #7
bimmerwerks
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05xdrive40I

Go with 21 and get a dedicated winter set. That's what I have....

Why?

It doesn't cost too much to find a dedicated winter set with winter tire.

Also, if you get a lot of snow, you still will need winter tires because all season is not ideal for deeper snow.

Winter, your wheels going to get "salty" with all that salt on the road plus more pot hole to deal with during winter.

Also, X5 is heavy and regardless square set up or staggered, you will change sooner than what tire manufacture said so.

Yes 21 does not have RTF all season, so what. You have that free roadside assistance if needed right?

Lastly, car handles so much better with staggered set up and ride is not that different.
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2021, 02:01 PM   #8
BAO_72
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Lots of questions in lots of threads about winter tires. It all boils down to how you define winter. 2 days of snow rarely below - 5C all season tires, frequent snow, and / or below - 10C dedicated winter tires. Long periods of icy roads with frequent driving in hills dedicated studded winter tires.
All season rubbish below - 5C (goes stiff)
Non studded rubbish on ice below - 10C (studs give huge breaking distance reduction and better traction)
Dedicated winter tires rubbish above +10C (too soft)
Driving on ice and snow = the smaller tires the better (19-20 inch 275 width square option). You dont want a stiff setup as you want a gradual traction loss as opposed to abrupt. Also plenty options in tires for 19' and 20' just a few for 21 and 22, at least studded

Have 5 months winter season here and always use studded. Especially for heavy vehicles
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2022, 08:56 AM   #9
afwbeach
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 45e

21 inch Y spokes on X5 45e

I see video's and reviews with drivers using this tire/ wheel combo in Colorado, Northern Europe and up in Northeast. I really want these for as an all year tire / wheels because honestly they look a little a little better then the 20 inch M wheels. I don't want the hassel of 2 sets of wheels. I live in Mid-Atlantic US. Does anyone use the Y spoke RF 21 inche wheels year round in the mid-atlantic / NE region of US?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2022, 10:07 AM   #10
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by afwbeach View Post
I see video's and reviews with drivers using this tire/ wheel combo in Colorado, Northern Europe and up in Northeast. I really want these for as an all year tire / wheels because honestly they look a little a little better then the 20 inch M wheels. I don't want the hassel of 2 sets of wheels. I live in Mid-Atlantic US. Does anyone use the Y spoke RF 21 inche wheels year round in the mid-atlantic / NE region of US?
because you have the 45e, it will come with run flat tires whether you get the 20" or 21". note that 21" staggered all-season run flat tires do not exist, so you'll only have summer performance run flat tires. tire performance will suffer significantly during the peak of mid-atlantic/NE winters when temps fall at or below 40ºF. my advice is don't cheap out on tires (and their endemic safety profiles) just for a 'look.'

options will open up if you decide to ditch the run flats and switch to go flats. as mentioned, there's no room for a space saver spare, so recommend a tire mobility kit or your own spare (i bought a space saver spare from someone who didn't want it. it becomes part of the cargo on road trips.)

i originally ordered 21" 741M on my 45e which was delivered in Dec. uneducated about BMW's staggered setups, i frantically scoured the web for an all-season run flat solution before the temps dipped the following Jan, but i switched to 20" all around with all-season Bridgestone run flats. like you, i didn't want the hassle of two sets. i don't miss the 21s. BTW I'm also in Virginia
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
ggunn9160.00
      07-09-2022, 03:14 PM   #11
mmp151
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 335xi - Sold, 2020 M340 -

I just ordered a 45e with the 21” wheels which I plan to get powder coated in gloss black, really wanted the 22” wheels but it’s not an option in the states and not having a spare is a deal breaker. I was thinking about just getting a pair of winter tires, and just swapping out the tires on the same rims. Any advantage of a full set of wheels and tires instead?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2022, 08:38 PM   #12
chayden2005
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Garage List
2022 BMW X5 45e  [0.00]
Get Both

If you keep an eye open on the forum and your local OfferUp type apps, you'll find someone selling a take off set at a good price.
If you have the room you can have your hot rod set and your utility set.
Get a good Jack, impact and sockets and you can swap out a set of tires in twenty minutes or less.
If you don't have the space then you can still score a good deal on a take off set with a little patience.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-01-2022, 06:51 PM   #13
Auhc
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 M

Go with 21 and use these tires

Answer is simple, get the 21"M Y spoke then use the continental attached during the winter season.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0