BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-20-2021, 02:23 PM   #89
155ND
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5MC Marina Bay Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by fe03h20 View Post
Unfortunately, IMHO of course, unless it looks like Lambo, it’s just another “nice X5”.
Hard reality.
you're entitled to your opinion of course ... but it's not my day to day experience.

as i've mentioned on another thread, a neighbour has a Urus in navy blue and gets annoyed that my MBB X5MC gets more looks than his car ... but to be fair, as i've told him, he got exactly what he wanted, which was less attention than he would have got if he'd have chosen a Lambo yellow / orange / lime green!

having said all that i do agree that BMW as a brand is not on the level of Lambo / ferrari / bentley / rolls royce ... which suits me just fine until i retire and don't have to worry about the reaction to my car of my staff and clients!
      05-20-2021, 02:49 PM   #90
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 155ND View Post

a neighbour has a Urus in navy blue and gets annoyed that my MBB X5MC gets more looks than his car ... but to be fair, as i've told him, he got exactly what he wanted, which was less attention than he would have got if he'd have chosen a Lambo yellow / orange / lime green!
Pretty much true: my 2015 M4 'vert was moonstone with Sakhir interior and that car, top down, was a magnet. I'd have people yell compliments at me on the freeway, people would come up to me all the time at the gas station, etc and, the best part, younger chicks would occasionally chat me up - and believe me, that ain't normal.

Then I switched to the 2018 Tanz M4 'vert w/ Opal white interior and no lie, I've not gotten a single comment ever.

Went from daily comments to zero literally overnight.

In a related story, I'm heavily considering Ametrin if it's still avail on the 2022s.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 04:09 PM   #91
hksr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6 40i

MBB X5Ms will, without a doubt, garner attention. The colour of the vehicle, and all the dark accents from grills, to vents, to wheels makes the whole thing stand out. There's no doubt about it from anybody's perspective that the SUV is a higher end BMW.

Now if you were to have a non-car enthusiast look at an X5 40i with M-sport package next to an X5M, both in the same colour, I think the person would have a much harder time discerning how much higher end the X5M truly is.

I live in a community of about 20,000 people, so I constantly catch myself questioning whether there is any point to purchasing an X5M when my plain ol X5 is 'fancier' than 99% of the vehicles on the road here lol.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18183.50
      05-20-2021, 04:57 PM   #92
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

The bottom line is the beauty is in the eye of the beholder, buy and drive what you like. Don't be worried about status on social media or around the hood. I drive what puts a smile on my face and keeps me coming back for more.
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 2
ajob456.00
      05-20-2021, 05:11 PM   #93
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by fe03h20 View Post
Unfortunately, IMHO of course, unless it looks like Lambo, it’s just another “nice X5”.
Hard reality.
Yeah i mean i am in no way suggesting its anywhere as prestigious as a real Lamborghini but what i am saying is I get a lot more "looks" or points when i'm out with my car. I do think its 99% the color and not necessarily because its a X5MC.

Alan
      05-20-2021, 06:50 PM   #94
bobbis1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5

I may have been wrong about the flashiness of X5M but I do think there's at least some anonymity to it, especially when the comp is rsq8, gle63s, cayenne turbo. Jumping back for a sec to the diff between the s63 vs n63- I noticed this on the racechip website while trying to convince my buddy who owns an M50i to buy one-
n63...
Name:  g05 m50.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  128.6 KB
s63...
Name:  f95.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  125.9 KB
Racechip who is respectable but EOD only trying to sell more racechips seems to think max safe attainable HP of the n63 is 583, S63 is 744. Is that just extra cooling and under piston oil squirting?
Appreciate 2
GrussGott18183.50
BigHunk269.50
      05-20-2021, 07:08 PM   #95
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbis1 View Post
Racechip who is respectable but EOD only trying to sell more racechips seems to think max safe attainable HP of the n63 is 583, S63 is 744. Is that just extra cooling and under piston oil squirting?
Yeah and I spose an extra cooler & sump ain't nothin ...

Also there's so many variants it's hard to know exactly what they're spec'ing ... the "old" (i.e., 2018) N63 appears to have had 0.2" smaller turbos and ran at 11.9 PSI vs the S63's 25.9 PSI, however some of these changes appear to have made it to the M50's N63 (turbos & PSI) while others (sump, cooler, piston crowns) did not.

Point is, maybe their chip is developed for the 11.9 PSI smaller turbo N63 instead of the M50i's?

EDIT: I have a feeling the 2022 X5M will have 617 HP + sport exhaust as an option (maybe what's now the comp pack will be the same or similar and be called the sport pack) and then there'll be a bigger badder Comp *model* vs the comp package.

Last edited by GrussGott; 05-20-2021 at 07:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 07:15 PM   #96
bobbis1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
but an extra cooler & sump ain't nothin ...

Also there's so many variants it's hard to know exactly what they're spec'ing ... the "old" (i.e., 2018) N63 appears to have had 0.2" smaller turbos and ran at 11.9 PSI vs the S63's 25.9 PSI, however some of these changes appear to have made it to the M50's N63 (turbos & PSI) while others (sump, cooler, piston crowns) did not.

Point is, maybe their chip is developed for the 11.9 PSI smaller turbo N63 instead of the M50i's?

EDIT: I have a feeling the 2022 X5M will have 617 HP + sport exhaust as an option (maybe what's now the comp pack will be the same or similar and be called the sport pack) and then there'll be a bigger badder Comp *model* vs the comp package.
I think the diff btwn M5/comp/cs hp is boost tuning so could easily see them releasing the M5 cs tune s63 to other models… can defer to rgsport or another racechip seller here but I would bet they are quoting up to date max gains possible for the series.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2021, 02:26 AM   #97
155ND
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5MC Marina Bay Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by hksr View Post
MBB X5Ms will, without a doubt, garner attention. The colour of the vehicle, and all the dark accents from grills, to vents, to wheels makes the whole thing stand out. There's no doubt about it from anybody's perspective that the SUV is a higher end BMW.

Now if you were to have a non-car enthusiast look at an X5 40i with M-sport package next to an X5M, both in the same colour, I think the person would have a much harder time discerning how much higher end the X5M truly is.

I live in a community of about 20,000 people, so I constantly catch myself questioning whether there is any point to purchasing an X5M when my plain ol X5 is 'fancier' than 99% of the vehicles on the road here lol.

"Now if you were to have a non-car enthusiast look at an X5 40i with M-sport package next to an X5M, both in the same colour, I think the person would have a much harder time discerning how much higher end the X5M truly is"

i think you're right, would be interesting to see an MBB X5 40i crusing around alongside an MBB X5M ... my experience is that its; mostly the bright bold colour that initially grabs the attention, but then as people look more closely you can see their eyes moving around the car and realising that it isn;t a standard X5 (though probably not knowing it;s an X5M). for me, this is just enough "attention" - i don't mind a bit, but can do without the level of attention that a higher-end kind of car would give me ... whereas some people love that.

as i say, my bud with the Urus now regrets his navy blue choice, as the car doesn't feel special enough to him to justify a 200k price tag ... and i agree. for me, if you go for a Lambo, you should GO for the Lambo full experience
      05-21-2021, 09:48 AM   #98
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Pretty much true: my 2015 M4 'vert was moonstone with Sakhir interior and that car, top down, was a magnet. I'd have people yell compliments at me on the freeway, people would come up to me all the time at the gas station, etc and, the best part, younger chicks would occasionally chat me up - and believe me, that ain't normal.

Then I switched to the 2018 Tanz M4 'vert w/ Opal white interior and no lie, I've not gotten a single comment ever.

Went from daily comments to zero literally overnight.

In a related story, I'm heavily considering Ametrin if it's still avail on the 2022s.
Some of this is human psychology. When you have unusual color etc. People believe you are looking for (happy with( attention and that reinforces their behavior.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18183.50
      05-21-2021, 01:35 PM   #99
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCX5 View Post
Some of this is human psychology. When you have unusual color etc. People believe you are looking for (happy with( attention and that reinforces their behavior.
Yeah, that's true - same thing with commenting on people's watches ... one time I was standing in line waiting to board a flight and noticed the guy in front of my had a Tudor Pelagos in the bright blue - which is pretty fecking bright - so I complimented him ...

He looked like I was gonna mug him right there.

If you're rocking something bright, people are gonna notice.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2021, 07:35 PM   #100
scotchy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jettie1767 View Post
I drive in the efficient/comfort mode almost all of the time and my range states 400 miles at full tank.
May I ask why? To me it would be like buying a 4K OLED tv but streaming 480 to save bandwidth. Genuinely curious.
Appreciate 1
Tenac4539.50
      05-21-2021, 08:16 PM   #101
scotchy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Fun post/thread.
OP. Is this replacing your M4 comp? Are you more concerned with comfort over how the car drives?
I haven't driven an X5M, but will say the M50i with DHP drives like a bloated whale compared to the M4. It's a giant floaty boat. (Also I can count on one finger the number of times I've used the massaging seats, lol) The acceleration, low end torque, finish inside especially with leather dash/merino and alcantera headliner make it a nice place to be, but I wouldn't call it a drivers car. While it handles well for its size, it's not even remotely connected to the road. For an SUV my only comparison would be a GLC 43 or 63S which both drive more like cars likely because of the lower weight...while neither are near as luxurious they're much more fun to drive. Idk how the current X5/6M's drive in comparison (they weren't out when I ordered the M50i) but between the aesthetics inside/out and if it drives better the "true" M would be well worth the price of admission for me. I like having a "big" SUV but next time I'll actually test drive before buying, lol, nothing was available locally when I ordered the M50i. On paper it sounded the same as the previous X5M, I think in reality they drive like completely different vehicles. PLUS, yes I am a little bit vain, and unless you're looking at the badge or spotting the exhaust tips the M50i looks like every other X5 on the road. Nothing differentiates it as being special.

Edit: BMW fans will notice the difference between an M50i vs lower models. (That said I've not once in a year plus had anyone speak to this) The X5/6M while to most is another bmw, the difference is more noticeable. Again, that said, if anyone is after attention as their motivation for purchase, no BMW is going to get you that if that's important to you. I got more thumbs ups/heads turned/conversations had day one in a basically stock $60,000 used Cayman S than in the last 5 years combined of BMW and Mercedes I've owned or driven.
Appreciate 2
GrussGott18183.50
bmwauug248.50
      05-21-2021, 11:21 PM   #102
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotchy View Post
Fun post/thread.
OP. Is this replacing your M4 comp? Are you more concerned with comfort over how the car drives?
Gawddamn scotchy, you fucking killed it with this post - single best post / feedback I've seen on this topic, thanks man

Yeah, I guess you could say it'll replace the M4, but that was primarily for road course sport driving, i.e., canyon runs - I used to go weekly 4-6 hours at a time and that fecker was awesome ... then a cool down cruise on HWY 1 from Half Moon Bay to Santa Cruz blasting some yacht rock with a little Deep House tossed in to mix it up

Here's my moonstone 2015 m4 at the top of the trail

That was 80% of my mileage ... then covid hit, and work ramped up, and now we're looking to slow life down so the X5 will be primarily for road trips, and probably through a lot of mountains (like 0' - 8k ish) so want something comfy, but also super capable in the mountains, lots of semi passing power, etc

So basically I'm thinking the M50i will might be easier for my wife (rear steering, air suspension?, massaging seats, et al) but the X5M would be more natural for me and since I'll be doing most of the driving it's probably worth the small premium (I'd likely skip the comp but we'll see what they do with the 2022s).

As for needing the attention / the badge / the looks - I used to be all over that shit, but I kinda grew out of it - I don't plan on wearing pants for the next few years (cargo shorts FTW! ) and I have 12 of the same t-shirt I wear everyday soooo....
Appreciate 2
ajob456.00
scotchy210.00
      05-22-2021, 04:21 AM   #103
ajob
Lieutenant
Monaco
Rep
Drives: X5 M

IMHO there is only ONE really head-turning SUV in elegant circles, and it's the Aston Martin DBX -- all the others are just "also ran's".

Every time a DBX passes by, you'll notice it and quietly but respectfully salute it.

The Cullinan looks straight from a comic book and the Bentayga is just a slightly less pompous version; I felt it's ride very "rubbery", it's no driver's car.

The Urus is a great driver's car, but its cockpit uncomfortably pushes wow against usability, and the more you see them around, the more the underlying Audi shines through and the heads stop turning.

The Cayennes are the patrician grandaddies of them all and, for this, they deserve our greatest respect...

Now, my X5 M is just a competent middle aged lady - from F85 to 95 its body even got some new wrinkles - but it earns all my respect, and let me explain why.

Take a Ferrari, still the top in this universe.

Now go to their engineers and tell them to design one with the same performance but at half the cost - the Ferrari guys would just laugh at you!

But another incredible team did not laugh, rolled up their sleeves and produced a miracle, the Corvette, for me a triumph of ingenuity and "performance vs cost" efficiency - and so made tens of thousands of drivers happy that could otherwise only dream about driving a Ferrari.

The X5 M has the same DNA, a SUV that gradually evolved into a real driver's car at a reasonable cost that makes sense for what you get for your money: the BMW engineers deserve all my respect for their efforts.

I recently parked my X5 M near an Aston Martin DBX and had exactly the same feeling, years ago, when I parked my C5 Corvette near a Ferrari Testarossa: both are really great cars, fulfilling their respective missions far better than most other cars.
Appreciate 1
155ND913.00
      05-22-2021, 07:35 AM   #104
pookiemalibu
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X5MC

I can't believe this dumbass thread keeps getting bumped to the top. Obviously the OP thinks we are all dirt poor proletariat who should mind our turnips. We are broke AF. Actually "work" for a living and don't swim in our money held in a "Scrooge-McDuckyian" style vault at Tunt Manor. Just stop homie.

You obviously want a Bentyaga or a Ur(an)us, so head to your friendly Lambo dealer and hand them your bag of gold coins while the rest of us grind it out at our dead end jobs to eek by to afford our mass produced Gapmobiles. He's like the Uncle Tom of BMWs. Hates himself for slumming it in a $120K car. Really bruh? So basically if you aren't driving a über high end SUV that costs as much as a small homestead and has a storied moniker on the hood you've failed in life and should re-evaluate your priorities so you can afford a condo on wheels.

People have been saying again and again that they buy the F95 for myriad reasons and nothing is good enough for homeboy.

I like the looks of the X5M...Well the Cullinan looks better (it doesn't).

The F95 is stupid fast...Well the Ur(an)us is .2 faster (for $150K more — which we obv can't afford).

The finishes on the X5M are really great...but the Bentyaga comes with a year of free buttling and the seats are covered in the foreskin of clubbed baby seals and BMW only offers merino.
Appreciate 3
ed41367.50
155ND913.00
      05-22-2021, 07:49 AM   #105
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

A lot of enthusiast are lucky enough to understand the driving personality of the right vehicle that they connect to most regardless of price point. Metering a brands superiority by the price tag is bush league and right out of the vapid social media handbook. It’s a illusion by those that have never owned or have much experience with more exotic brands.

Most already know this, but you get up to a point in luxury vehicles where “better” is so subjective and personal, but some egos need the stroking and paying $100k more is just for these types of personalities. Many of us have gone through this phase and grew out of it with a knowledge and clarity of how the luxury car world works.

Thanks to social media and inexperience tire kickers like to confuse “wallet flexing” as a meter of brand superiority. Not everyone wants to buy a $250k vehicle even though they can afford it. (Straying away from German cars years ago and buying a Ferrari was my biggest single automotive mistake ever with a new Range Rover being a close second.).

Last edited by MystroX5; 05-22-2021 at 08:01 AM..
Appreciate 7
ed41367.50
ajob456.00
scotchy210.00
155ND913.00
      05-22-2021, 07:56 AM   #106
pookiemalibu
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
A lot of enthusiast are lucky enough to understand the driving personality of right vehicle that they connect to most regardless of price point. Metering a brands superiority by the price tag is bush league and right out of the vapid social media handbook. It’s a illusion by those that have never owned or have much experience with more exotic brands.

Most already know this, but you get up to a point in luxury vehicles where “better” is so subjective and personal but some egos need the stroking and paying $100k more is just for these types of personalities. Many of use have gone through this phase and grew out of it with a knowledge and clarity of how the luxury car world works.

Thanks to social media and inexperience tire kickers seem to confuse “wallet flexing” as a meter of brand superiority. Not everyone wants to buy a $250k vehicle even though they can afford it. (Straying away from German cars years ago and buying a Ferrari was my biggest mistake ever.).
Appreciate 2
ed41367.50
155ND913.00
      05-22-2021, 11:01 AM   #107
scotchy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Gruss make sure you drive them all before purchasing. It sounds to me like the X5M is better suited to what you're after.
Many love the rear steering available on the M50i, personally I don't like it at all, the back end feels loose.
As for tshirts, yeah I've a dozen of the same one too. In an assortment of greys/white/blues to mix it up a little. lol.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18183.50
      05-22-2021, 06:51 PM   #108
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pookiemalibu View Post
I can't believe this dumbass thread keeps getting bumped to the top. Obviously the OP thinks we are all dirt poor proletariat who should mind our turnips.
good lord, that's what you've gotten out of a post asking *technically* why the 5M is better than the 50i?

First I was too poor to afford the "exclusivity" of X5m, now I'm too rich for it!

I guess when you it add it all up that means I'm Juuuussssttt right.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2021, 07:02 PM   #109
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
[gifs dunking on myself]
Just fyi pooks.
Quote:

The price difference alone is just further proof positive of the difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
A lot of enthusiast are lucky enough to understand the driving personality of the right vehicle that they connect to most regardless of price point. Metering a brands superiority by the price tag is bush league
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2021, 11:15 PM   #110
pookiemalibu
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just fyi pooks.
You don't read good do ya? Defining a BRAND'S worth is different from defining a CAR'S worth. Every brand has cars at different levels within their lineup. A Chiron isn't a Diro. An F8 isn't a 812. I could go on...Comparing two cars within the same brand is different from comparing two separate brands.

For example: would you compare a Ford to a Ferrari? Probably not. UNLESS, that Ford is a Ford GT. Those two vehicles are in the same ballpark, but by your logic, because one is a Ford and one is a Ferrari the Ford is a piece of shit.
Appreciate 0