BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-11-2024, 02:46 PM   #1
stevew321
Rep
Drives: X5 (in future)

Uneven steering lock

Hi All,

I recently had my X5 in for a service and was told I needed a wheel alignment doing. In the end, the KDS showed that all angles were within tolerance but they made some minor adjustments anyway.

As I’m pretty paranoid about this stuff, I decided to turn the wheel lock to lock and noticed I can turn the steering wheel to the right about 1/12 more. I’d say on full right lock, the steering is completely upside down, with the centre spoke point at 12 o’clock.
Full left lock only gets as far as 1 o’clock (ish).

I tried another X5 on the forecourt at the dealer and this particular model was symmetrical. Interestingly, it felt more that mine could go further to the right but the same to the left as if the stops (if there are any) are calibrated differently as oppose to a centering problem of the steering column to the rack.

I also tried an iX and it also appeared to be asymmetrical in pretty much the same way as mine. So I’m now left wondering if this is a problem or that some cars / configs are just “like that”

Has anyone else got the same thing as me?

Car is X5 M sport, pre LCI, 22 inch and wheels and RHD

Cheers,

Steve
Appreciate 0