BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-24-2022, 01:03 PM   #67
Melbourne_X5M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50ix M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGG View Post
I would hardly call an additional 70 horsepower in the X5 M50 over the X5 50i as nothing more than marketing. There were other differences as well. The M50i is a different animal from the X5 50i.

The M50i is now being sold by BMW in a distinct category as an BMW M vehicle. If you want to buy a new X5 BMW M you have two choices - the X5 M50i or the X5M. Time marches on. It is what it is.
Um…no. I’ve owned a 2017 X5M, two 2019 X5 50i’ M-Sports, a 2020 M50i and a 2020 M5.

While the M50i is tuned for more power than my 2019’s, it is otherwise marketing and the X5M and M5 I owned are way different than their lessor cousin’s. But, you believe what you want. The X5 M50i is a helluva a non-M SUV.
Appreciate 2
      01-24-2022, 01:15 PM   #68
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

100% no.

BMW has purposely blurred the lines to get more marketing cred, including sprinkling //M's freaking everywhere. But no, it's not an //M

Why? No bespoke engine, no special suspension parts, no M mode, no different driving modes, etc.

no.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 02:07 PM   #69
amc42
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e, Z4 (E85)

Some topics will always be sensitive in bimmer communities...

Here's my perspective: a BMW is a real M car if you can throw trackdays and especially Nurburgring laps at it without breaking it (ignoring consumables such as brakes and tires). I know many might say that applies to most performance brands, but that's not really the case. Until Porsche changed that for GT models a few years ago, BMW and Aston Martin were the only brands where you didn't risk losing the full warranty if the car was used on a race track (even for cars like a Nissan GT-R). For M models, the only you thing you can't do is actual Motorsport events.

BMW internally is aware of that expectation, as you can see how the 1M evolved to the M2 versions. The 1M was pretty well known for overheating on short courses on hot days - that's one of the things they worked on to make it a "full M car". That's something that's not in the "must have" catalogue for most AMG cars. For a "full M car", the ability to do track duty is a necessity - even though 95% (or more) of the owners won't go there.

Regarding this discussion here: the real question is how the car makes you feel when you are NOT on a racetrack regularly. In terms of how technically special an M car is, my F10 is probably on #3 after E30 M3 and E60 M5. In terms of how special it feels though, most people would put the car at the lower end and rate an E39 M5 near the top, although in terms of how technically special it is, the E39 is objectively close to the bottom.

So here's my recommendation: if you use the car on the road, buy what you like best for you and forget about badges. But if you use it on race tracks, don't think for a second there's not a world of difference between a "full M car" (you know what I mean) and one of the M branded cars.
Appreciate 2
iconoclast7265.50
bmwauug248.50
      01-24-2022, 02:30 PM   #70
amc42
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e, Z4 (E85)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
That being said put an E39 M5 next to a 540i Sport. Very subtle difference and I love that about them.
Especially Post-LCI, where all the plastic exterior parts except for the mirrors were the same (though not all in part number).
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7265.50
      01-24-2022, 04:22 PM   #71
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpm50i View Post
the lads at bmw marketing will attach this thread to their annual appraisals.
Their ability to leverage the M brand has been a phenomenal victory for BMW.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 06:21 PM   #72
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Unfortunately they were not able to do much with their "i" branding and lost that marketing battle to Tesla; Tesla knows if you capture Hollywood and the youth then you have the future.
Appreciate 1
FCX52383.50
      01-24-2022, 06:31 PM   #73
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

It’s all “M”arketing. “M” was a idea of better handling of BMW road cars and not any specific standards of performance. This is why BMW makes degrees of “M cars” and not one cut and dry performance model.
Way too much ego chest thumping trying to prove/distinguish where the “M” line is and BMW know this purposely blurring it for threads just like this. They don’t care what you buy, as long as you buy from them.
Appreciate 5
iconoclast7265.50
Auricom4361.50
FCX52383.50
Burnt C6257.50
CGG171.50
      01-24-2022, 07:39 PM   #74
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
Unfortunately they were not able to do much with their "i" branding and lost that marketing battle to Tesla; Tesla knows if you capture Hollywood and the youth then you have the future.
This is so true. I believe Apple did exactly that with their early marketing. BMW M marketing is definitely working.

They could make the i marketing work as well
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7265.50
      01-25-2022, 02:48 AM   #75
CGG
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G05 x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melbourne_X5M View Post
Um…no. I’ve owned a 2017 X5M, two 2019 X5 50i’ M-Sports, a 2020 M50i and a 2020 M5.

While the M50i is tuned for more power than my 2019’s, it is otherwise marketing and the X5M and M5 I owned are way different than their lessor cousin’s. But, you believe what you want. The X5 M50i is a helluva a non-M SUV.
I give up. You keep missing the point and chattering on about the X5M being different than "their lessor cousins" the M50i. Sorry, the fact that there are major engineering/performance gaps between the X5M and the X5 M50i is not news to anyone here.... but it does once again continue to miss the point.
Continue to shake that fist at the sky.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 06:54 AM   #76
Burnt C6
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i

While it's not a True M with all the bells and whistles it is one hell of a daily driver which is why we bought it. I catch shit from BMW owners in the Houston area because my wife wanted personalize plates for it. Her first few choices were not available or allowed. Her Name is Gay so you can imagine the push back with any name on it. Anyway she chose BLU X6M. believe me she had no clue as to what all of that means and doesn't really care. She saw the M50i model name on the back and door seals and thought it had a nice ring to it. I've had people come up to me and say. that's not a "M" car. I just tell them if my wife's license plate gives you that much grief you should go see a therapist as you need help. 99% of the time it's from people that don't own an "M" car in the first place. I also let them know my 530HP will be long gone before their car gets moving.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 08:23 AM   #77
Melbourne_X5M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50ix M Sport

Quote:
I give up. You keep missing the point and chattering on about the X5M being different than "their lessor cousins" the M50i. Sorry, the fact that there are major engineering/performance gaps between the X5M and the X5 M50i is not news to anyone here.... but it does once again continue to miss the point.
Continue to shake that fist at the sky.
Please re-read the title of this thread. “M50i - Is it TECHNICALLY an M car?”

You are misreading and/or misinterpreting or perhaps loco.

The facts are that the M50i is TECHNICALLY not an BMW “M Car.” The differences are huge. Just like a house cat is not a leopard just because someone put black spots on its brown fur and call s it a leopard.

That being said, again, the M50i is one helluva non-M-car. If I wanted V8 power in an X5 again, the M50i is what I would buy.

My X5M and M5 were sexy and outlandishly powerful beasts - with an emphasis on Beasts! FWIW, I will not buy another “M-Car” because I do not like the ride. If I want that kind of power, I will buy an AMG or a Maybach because Mercedes knows to blend power and comfort into the same automobile with finesse. Why anyone desires to be bounced around by every pavement imperfection in an “M-car” is beyond me. TETO though, I am glad the M50i is not technically an M car.

Last edited by Melbourne_X5M; 01-25-2022 at 11:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 09:15 AM   #78
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melbourne_X5M View Post
Please re-read the title of this thread. “M50i - Is it TECHNICALLY and M car?”

You are misreading and/or misinterpreting or perhaps loco.

The facts are that the M50i is TECHNICALLY not an BMW “M Car.” The differences are huge. Just like a house cat is not a leopard just because someone put black spots on its brown fur and call s it a leopard.
Don't waste your time on him. He is known for disregarding facts, cherry picking information and continuing to argue indefensible positions. Whether he does it on purpose or is just not capable of following a discussion I do not know but either way someone to not be taken seriously.
      01-25-2022, 10:32 AM   #79
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Let’s get Technical in M land. If it’s not a “Competition” is a “M lite”. Then a “Competition” is a “M lite” if it’s not a “CS”.

But wait, BMW doesn’t make a “CS” for all models so those cars are not really worthy being a “M car” because they are not the most extreme performance variation. It gets ridiculous trying to gauge how worthy “M” is a “M car”.
If BMW puts a “M” on the back, it’s a “M” by the BMW gods. Take it up with BMW if you think they are watering down the “M car” line up but it’s their standards what they feel earns the “M” badge on the back.
Honestly if your ego was so wrapped up into trying to segregate yourself as the most hard-core performance car owner, then go to a Porsche but bypass all models until its a 911RS .

Last edited by MystroX5; 01-25-2022 at 10:39 AM..
Appreciate 4
CGG171.50
Burnt C6257.50
iconoclast7265.50
      01-25-2022, 11:13 AM   #80
760Lifan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 4xe Summit R & Trailhawk

LOL - I've been reading this thread and have the feeling that some are missing the point.

I don't think the OP was asking if the M50i is performing, handling or what not like the X5 M. I also saw posts here with diagrams of specific parts that are on the X5 M.

Again, I don't think that's the point.

IMO, in the end, you can call it marketing BUT the final decision what is officially an M or not is made by BMW and that's what they did: They officially consider the M50i an M.

For me, on my former X7 M50i, it did not really matter. I could have gotten a fully loaded X5 M competition for the same amount of money but I did not want to sacrifice on comfort.

If you are going back to the roots of BMW M, I bet many would have a hard time considering ANY SUV to be a true M.

When I was young, a BMW M was, well, an M3 and nothing else...
Gone: 2020 X7 M50i, Mineral White, Ivory White Full Merino, Piano Black Trim, Cold Weather, Dynamic Handling, Driving Assistance, Luxury Seating, Executive, 22" Y-Spoke Orbit Grey Wheels Style 758i, Space Saver Spare, Trailer Hitch, Leather Dash, Ambient Air, Bowers & Wilkins, Rear Entertainment, Night Vision, Extended Shadowline, Alcantara Headliner in Upholstery Color.
Appreciate 1
      01-25-2022, 11:19 AM   #81
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Where do the Alpina variants fit in? They're not true M either and I am certain Alpina doesn't care but to add to your point I am old enough to remember back in the mid-oughts when the M division swore and made a statement to WSJ that they will "NEVER" make an SAV with an ///M badge. Here we are now with a few so and anyone on here remember when they scoffed at the idea of an AWD M3/M5? Perhaps even they don't know what ///M means anymore.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 11:43 AM   #82
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 760Lifan View Post
LOL - I've been reading this thread and have the feeling that some are missing the point.

I don't think the OP was asking if the M50i is performing, handling or what not like the X5 M. I also saw posts here with diagrams of specific parts that are on the X5 M.

Again, I don't think that's the point.

IMO, in the end, you can call it marketing BUT the final decision what is officially an M or not is made by BMW and that's what they did: They officially consider the M50i an M.

BMW does not consider the M Performance vehicles to be M vehicles hence why the are called M Performance vehicles. M vehicles are very specific models that are built to performance standards way above the regular models. The M Performance vehicles are base models with added power and maybe a few extra options.

As we have stated many times, if you are looking at it from a marketing perspective then the M Performance vehicles fall under BMW M.

I guess to answer the OP's questions you need to clarify what "technically" is referring to. If you are talking from a technical physical point of view or model name then they are not M vehicles. Obviously that is how one generally looks at an M since you since performance, engineering, etc. is what is thought of when thinking about an M vehicle.

If you are talking from a marketing/organizational point of view then they are BMW M vehicles since they are marketed under BMW M.

This is how BMW M considers the difference:
Attached Images

wtwo317971.00
nZtiZia4656.00
      01-25-2022, 11:45 AM   #83
CGG
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G05 x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
Let’s get Technical in M land. If it’s not a “Competition” is a “M lite”. Then a “Competition” is a “M lite” if it’s not a “CS”.

But wait, BMW doesn’t make a “CS” for all models so those cars are not really worthy being a “M car” because they are not the most extreme performance variation. It gets ridiculous trying to gauge how worthy “M” is a “M car”.
If BMW puts a “M” on the back, it’s a “M” by the BMW gods. Take it up with BMW if you think they are watering down the “M car” line up but it’s their standards what they feel earns the “M” badge on the back.
Honestly if your ego was so wrapped up into trying to segregate yourself as the most hard-core performance car owner, then go to a Porsche but bypass all models until its a 911RS .
This.

BMW now sells different model variants of the M X5. Both great cars. Apparently this reality is a problem for some people - if you point out this simple fact some people will throw shade at you (or at least at me haha)
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 12:08 PM   #84
760Lifan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
I guess to answer the OP's questions you need to clarify what "technically" is referring to. If you are talking from a technical physical point of view or model name then they are not M vehicles. Obviously that is how one generally looks at an M since you since performance, engineering, etc. is what is thought of when thinking about an M vehicle.

If you are talking from a marketing/organizational point of view then they are BMW M vehicles since they are marketed under BMW M.

This is how BMW M considers the difference:
THIS is what it boils down to. My analysis of including it as an M was based on how it is 'categorized' by BMW.

The term 'technically' is indeed problematic. When discussing the marketing aspect, I assume the term 'theoretically' would be a better match.

So to sum it up, the M50i is technically no true M but it is theoretically - if that makes any sense...
Gone: 2020 X7 M50i, Mineral White, Ivory White Full Merino, Piano Black Trim, Cold Weather, Dynamic Handling, Driving Assistance, Luxury Seating, Executive, 22" Y-Spoke Orbit Grey Wheels Style 758i, Space Saver Spare, Trailer Hitch, Leather Dash, Ambient Air, Bowers & Wilkins, Rear Entertainment, Night Vision, Extended Shadowline, Alcantara Headliner in Upholstery Color.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 01:05 PM   #85
BMPHIL
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 M60i

Surely if mine is an Msport it is an M car even if it is a 40i (tongue in cheek post but who really cares)
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 01:12 PM   #86
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
BMW now sells different model variants of the M X5. […]
nope. the M50i isn't listed on BMW official ///M Models page, hence it's not an ///M vehicle
https://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/m-mo...hoCKekQAvD_BwE
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 01:37 PM   #87
760Lifan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
nope. the M50i isn't listed on BMW official ///M Models page, hence it's not an ///M vehicle
https://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/m-mo...hoCKekQAvD_BwE
...and HERE...

https://www.bmwusa.com/build-your-ow...tivity-vehicle

..the exact opposite applies..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 01:53 PM   #88
jiggie
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

This thread feels like some folks have an X5 M and want to make sure those with X5 M50i know that they can't call their an M car, at the same time as some folks who have an X5 M50i and want to claim they have an M car.

I don't have a pony in this race so its quite amusing actually, lol.

Last edited by jiggie; 01-25-2022 at 02:16 PM..
Appreciate 2
mobilejo1114.50