08-28-2022, 08:31 PM   #67
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoClosedDoors View Post
Will be doing 56/90 testing soon (ala TeslaBjørn)

Stay tuned!
What does 56/90 mean? 😅
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2022, 08:33 PM   #68
NoClosedDoors
Metal Mover
Rep
Drives: Demo Car

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eelnoraa View Post
What does 56/90 mean? 😅
56mph/90kph
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2022, 10:12 AM   #69
Tall Paul
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socaldriver View Post
The X5 45e is the best vehicle in its class! There are times I use the sport mode so my X5 can sip up some gas that's been in the gas tank for a while.
I’m going to remember this line to tell my wife
Appreciate 1
      08-29-2022, 11:41 AM   #70
carsar12
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebryan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by carsar12 View Post
Thanks for the updates and tips. The thing is absolutely amazing though! I can't believe how "light" it feels when you hit the click on the accelerator at almost 1500 pounds heavier than our X3 M40; and we only used 1 gallon of petrol in 89 miles!
Quote:
Thanks for the updates and tips. The thing is absolutely amazing though! I can't believe how "light" it feels when you hit the click on the accelerator at almost 1500 pounds heavier than our X3 M40; and we only used 1 gallon of petrol in 89 miles!
Same boat here - I have an x3 m40i currently and just ordered the 45e. Was curious how I'd truly feel about the 45e after consistently driving it compared to the beast of an m40. Are you loving it over the x3?
So far we don't miss it…have pulled some "snappy" passes back and forth in the X5, but haven't tried full idiot mode since we are still under 1200 break-in miles😉
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2022, 12:16 PM   #71
arRod1981
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
So far we don't miss it…have pulled some "snappy" passes back and forth in the X5, but haven't tried full idiot mode since we are still under 1200 break-in miles😉
It was a glorious feeling mashing the pedal after the break-in period. We did PCD and made a road trip out of it driving home to SanAntonio.

Was on the outskirts of Beaumont, and traffic was being traffic. Looked at the mileage, deducted the e-mileage from the total mileage, and low and behold we were barely past the 1,200 mark. I mashed that pedal so quick, got up to 105mph, and zipped passed those left-lane squatters.
Appreciate 1
      08-29-2022, 01:34 PM   #72
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
A couple of things:
- converting ACV to DCV is never without its losses in the power supply. The EVSE is supplying ACV, and the batteries need DCV (that power supply is IN the vehicle). Expect about a 5% loss just from that conversion when using level 2, more when using a level1 EVSE.
- both the power supply and the batteries will heat up during charging, so the vehicle will be 'wasting' some energy to keep things cool, more so in the summer and after a long use versus say recharging during off-peak time after the vehicle has had a chance to cool off by itself without using the on-board cooling.
AFAIK this should be accounted for on the supply side. Given a 95% efficiency, it should take, for example, 105W of AC to provide 100W of DC power. The car/batteries are expecting a certain amount of DC, so it's up to the supply to provide the correct amount of adjusted AC power to account for the loss when converted to DC and supplied over a certain distance/line.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2022, 03:42 PM   #73
RickObe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 X545e

Quote:
Originally Posted by arRod1981 View Post
It was a glorious feeling mashing the pedal after the break-in period. We did PCD and made a road trip out of it driving home to SanAntonio.
I'm looking forward to trying launch control after the break in period.

But about that... I wonder why the break in is stated in miles driven vs ICE hours (if there's even a way to view that stat). You could drive your first 1200 in almost all electric and the ICE will not have gotten broken in at all. Strange.
      08-29-2022, 03:56 PM   #74
arRod1981
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickObe View Post
I'm looking forward to trying launch control after the break in period.

But about that... I wonder why the break in is stated in miles driven vs ICE hours (if there's even a way to view that stat). You could drive your first 1200 in almost all electric and the ICE will not have gotten broken in at all. Strange.
The manual does say engine, transmission, and axle break-in is 1,200 miles. So if your ICE has not reached 1,200 miles I'd assume it's not broken in. That's the reason why I made sure we had at least 1,200 ICE miles before mashing the gas pedal.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-29-2022, 04:00 PM   #75
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
AFAIK this should be accounted for on the supply side. Given a 95% efficiency, it should take, for example, 105W of AC to provide 100W of DC power. The car/batteries are expecting a certain amount of DC, so it's up to the supply to provide the correct amount of adjusted AC power to account for the loss when converted to DC and supplied over a certain distance/line.
The power supply is IN the vehicle...that's where all of the AC-DC conversion is done. No power supply is 100% efficient, and it loses that as heat. Then, you have the cooling circuits (fans, compressors, computer) that need to be powered through at least part of the charging cycle, so you will ALWAYS put more power into the vehicle than you can later get out of the batteries. It is entirely up to the vehicle to decide how much current it wants, but never exceeding what the EVSE told it was available.

If you have a smart EVSE, it will give you one value based on the power passing through it that will always be more than what the vehicle reports.

If you happen to choose the level 1 device, the AC-DC conversion is less efficient, and you'll be using more power to recharge the batteries.

On a really cold day, if you precondition the vehicle, it may be using more power than the EVSE can replenish at that instant, but overall, it probably ends up close unless it's really frigid out. It's still better than doing all of that heating from the batteries with nothing going back in if you're still connected.

To be the most efficient, you'd let the vehicle cool down prior to recharging, and for an extra bit, if you timed it to finish charging just before you departed, the charging would have prewarmed the batteries. That can be helpful in the winter.

It's certainly easier to just plug it in and don't obsess over it.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 04:53 PM   #76
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
The power supply is IN the vehicle...that's where all of the AC-DC conversion is done. No power supply is 100% efficient, and it loses that as heat. Then, you have the cooling circuits (fans, compressors, computer) that need to be powered through at least part of the charging cycle, so you will ALWAYS put more power into the vehicle than you can later get out of the batteries. It is entirely up to the vehicle to decide how much current it wants, but never exceeding what the EVSE told it was available.

If you have a smart EVSE, it will give you one value based on the power passing through it that will always be more than what the vehicle reports.

If you happen to choose the level 1 device, the AC-DC conversion is less efficient, and you'll be using more power to recharge the batteries.

On a really cold day, if you precondition the vehicle, it may be using more power than the EVSE can replenish at that instant, but overall, it probably ends up close unless it's really frigid out. It's still better than doing all of that heating from the batteries with nothing going back in if you're still connected.

To be the most efficient, you'd let the vehicle cool down prior to recharging, and for an extra bit, if you timed it to finish charging just before you departed, the charging would have prewarmed the batteries. That can be helpful in the winter.

It's certainly easier to just plug it in and don't obsess over it.
Are you talking about using the battery power or charging? I was referring to charging, the power supplies are definitely not in the vehicle, the power is DC as it's being provided up the cable into the car, so the supply is obviously outside.

There's no AC-DC loss when using the power as it's already DC out from the battery, so, yes you'll have to heat loss, but charging is going to provide the correct amount of DC power the circuitry and batteries are expecting. If that requires more AC than mathematically required for the conversion due to loss factors, then it'll come from the AC side, not the power being put into the batteries after it's been converted.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 05:46 PM   #77
RickObe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 X545e

Quote:
Originally Posted by arRod1981 View Post
The manual does say engine, transmission, and axle break-in is 1,200 miles. So if your ICE has not reached 1,200 miles I'd assume it's not broken in. That's the reason why I made sure we had at least 1,200 ICE miles before mashing the gas pedal.
I don't have my 45e yet, so I can't check... is there a place in iDrive where you can see how many miles have been traveled while propelled by the ICE vs electric only?
      08-31-2022, 06:14 PM   #78
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickObe View Post
I don't have my 45e yet, so I can't check... is there a place in iDrive where you can see how many miles have been traveled while propelled by the ICE vs electric only?
Yes. There is a menu showing how many eDrive miles for different instances, like since factory, since individual "reset", since last fill up, since start of the trip ... something like that
      08-31-2022, 07:13 PM   #79
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

The 45e does not support CCS (DC) charging. An EVSE is a fancy power cord. So, while charging the vehicle, ACV is coming in, and since the batteries need DC to charge, that power supply IS in the vehicle.

Now, regeneration outputs ACV from the motor, but that also needs to go through the power supply to add that power back into the batteries.
Appreciate 2
      11-23-2022, 02:52 PM   #80
yozhbk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 40e

Hey guys I know this is older and maybe there are newer threads on this, but I just got my 23 45e and when we left the dealer the battery was at 100% but range that showed was 24 miles. I have been trying to get back to 100% for few days now, but it’s pretty slow with stock charger.

Im in NY it got pretty cold here, but i would figure the range on electric should be closer to 30, should it improve? I drove about 60-70 miles on it already pretty much all electric.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2022, 03:27 PM   #81
wufpak
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by yozhbk View Post
Hey guys I know this is older and maybe there are newer threads on this, but I just got my 23 45e and when we left the dealer the battery was at 100% but range that showed was 24 miles. I have been trying to get back to 100% for few days now, but it’s pretty slow with stock charger.

Im in NY it got pretty cold here, but i would figure the range on electric should be closer to 30, should it improve? I drove about 60-70 miles on it already pretty much all electric.
24 is low, it should improve a bit. For reference, my range during the rest of the year is 36-42 depending on whether or not I'm using the A/C. Right now with the cold (it's been between 0-30°F the past couple weeks) and using snow tires, I'm closer to 28-30.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2022, 03:32 PM   #82
yozhbk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by wufpak View Post
24 is low, it should improve a bit. For reference, my range during the rest of the year is 36-42 depending on whether or not I'm using the A/C. Right now with the cold (it's been between 0-30°F the past couple weeks) and using snow tires, I'm closer to 28-30.
I guess if you show down to 28on yours, on a brand new one it might be plausible to be at 24 from lot, but I would actually expect it to be higher rather then lower driving off. Lets see how it goes, the 24 hour charging is killing me, I just came from xc90 and charging took about 4-6 hours for about 15-19 mile ride so this is annoying and will probably end up getting L2, which I never really needed or used before.
I guess lets see how it improves or not, I hope battery doesn't need service.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2022, 04:14 PM   #83
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wufpak View Post
I guess if you show down to 28on yours, on a brand new one it might be plausible to be at 24 from lot, but I would actually expect it to be higher rather then lower driving off. Lets see how it goes, the 24 hour charging is killing me, I just came from xc90 and charging took about 4-6 hours for about 15-19 mile ride so this is annoying and will probably end up getting L2, which I never really needed or used before.
I guess lets see how it improves or not, I hope battery doesn't need service.
electric range in the 20s is to be expected in todays colder temperatures. it's affected by things other than driving that use the HV battery, HVAC in particular especially heat. I highly doubt you have a defective battery. you can always run a CarData telematics report to see your exact battery capacity (should be around 17kWh). my full electric range can be as much as 47 miles in the warmer months versus 27 miles in the colder months (Virginia)

curious about your XC90… how fast was its charger (in kW) and how many amps could you pull from its EVSE while plugged into your household outlet?

the 45e's on-board charger is 3.7kW. its included EVSE maxes out at 10A, so the charger can't go any higher than 1.2kW. also note the XC90 battery capacity was 9.2kWh which is almost half of the 45e capacity, so all things the same, of course the XC90 will fully charge in less time.

if you absolutely need it charged overnight, your best bet would be to get a L1 16A assuming you have a dedicated 20A household outlet for it which will fully charge in ~11h, or a L2 which will take 5.5h
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2022, 04:22 PM   #84
TX-BMW
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 xDrive40i

Garage List
Quote:

I just traded my fully electric vehicle for an X5 a week ago, and the range indicator that you are looking at is affectionately known as the Guess-o-Meter. Temperature does have a big effect, and you'll see range swing. Your driving habits also matter.

For an EV, city range is better than highway driving because you get the benefit of regenerative braking. Cruising at high speed in a less-than-optimal aerodynamic vehicle does not help your range.

It is the opposite of what you see in an ICE auto as far as city vs. highway mpg.

I know this is easier said than done, but don't get too hung up on the range estimate. If you drive reasonably and it isn't cold, you'll get close to the estimated range. Drive aggressively while it is cold out, and you will look at your electric range and make a service appointment
Appreciate 1
cellarrat517.00
      11-23-2022, 04:53 PM   #85
LarsOtium
First Lieutenant
Rep

Out and about today on a bunch of different errands. All EV: 42.6 miles with 2 miles to spare on a full charge.

Man I love this car…
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2022, 05:11 PM   #86
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

From the dealership, the vehicle likely was powered on for extended periods, but wasn't moving. The estimate is based on the last 18-miles of travel...not time of use, so lots of sitting in traffic or just the lot will affect the estimate.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2022, 08:01 PM   #87
Di3s3l_Power
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

During warm weather 60~80 F degrees with no HVAC on, I easily get 44 miles on EV

Now, during colder weather 30~40 F with HVAC on, I get @ 32 ~ 40 miles on EV
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2022, 09:05 PM   #88
cellarrat
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX-BMW View Post
I just traded my fully electric vehicle for an X5 a week ago, and the range indicator that you are looking at is affectionately known as the Guess-o-Meter. Temperature does have a big effect, and you'll see range swing. Your driving habits also matter.

For an EV, city range is better than highway driving because you get the benefit of regenerative braking. Cruising at high speed in a less-than-optimal aerodynamic vehicle does not help your range.

It is the opposite of what you see in an ICE auto as far as city vs. highway mpg.

I know this is easier said than done, but don't get too hung up on the range estimate. If you drive reasonably and it isn't cold, you'll get close to the estimated range. Drive aggressively while it is cold out, and you will look at your electric range and make a service appointment
When I preconditioned my car this am, the guess-o-meter (love the name) on the app showed 25 miles. When I actually left home, the car showed 27 miles. Drove 4 miles to the Y and it showed 31. Drive home and I was back at 27.

Honestly, I have no idea what the actual capacity is on any given day. In my normal around-the-city driving, I rarely go more than 30, and I have almost never "run out." I tell people my car is an EV 300+ days a year.
Appreciate 0