BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-04-2022, 10:09 PM   #1
Mckelvie37
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

Buy back program

I've had a car that has been in the shop no less than 5-6 times for various reasons. At least 3x for fuel tank CEL issues and 3x for a leaking sunroof. (It delivered 11/21 and has ~7700 miles) For those that went through a buyback program how did the process go? What if anything was deducted for mileage? Did they replace your car or just buy it back outright? This x5 m50i has been nothing but problems since I've received it.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2022, 02:11 PM   #2
MJBradley1967
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 xDrive 40i

Your state may or may not have a good lemon law (otherwise the magnuson moss warranty act can be used), if you decide to go that way for compensation as well.

I had a lemon lawyer use the MMA on two different Grand Cherokees. Nothing catastrophic, but relatively minor things that just didn't get fixed.

I got about $4k each time (and the lawyers got at least that much).

As few miles as you have, you could probably get more, or at least use the threat of a lawsuit to get someone's attention.
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2022, 03:03 PM   #3
LarsOtium
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

About twenty years ago I had a bad X5. Dealer was on my side and basically negotiated with BMW. Memory is I was able to trade into a new model year, gave back X5, which had a bunch of miles on it, and handed over $2 to 3 thousand.
Appreciate 1
      06-06-2022, 07:28 PM   #4
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
I had the buy back on my 2019, replaced with a 2020
They offered to put me in the same exact car, but the current model year. And they buyback the 2019 (leaking water from shark fin, failed to repair on 3 attempts)
I negotiated a car that had $7500 more in options
But only paid $3000 cash, they paid the rest
And the new car basically continued the original loan, so if I had only 40 months left of a 60 month loan, the same payment and 40 months would remain on the new car

Not a bad deal at all
But of course this was precovid
Check your states lemon laws first
      06-06-2022, 09:10 PM   #5
Mckelvie37
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
I had the buy back on my 2019, replaced with a 2020
They offered to put me in the same exact car, but the current model year. And they buyback the 2019 (leaking water from shark fin, failed to repair on 3 attempts)
I negotiated a car that had $7500 more in options
But only paid $3000 cash, they paid the rest
And the new car basically continued the original loan, so if I had only 40 months left of a 60 month loan, the same payment and 40 months would remain on the new car

Not a bad deal at all
But of course this was precovid
Check your states lemon laws first
That's both of my concerns. One is interest rates are higher today and a new loan would reset the finance rate. Second is a new car comparably equipped is t possible right now with all the deletions. No exec package, no lux seats, no tow hitch, etc.
Appreciate 1
      06-10-2022, 08:38 PM   #6
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mckelvie37 View Post
That's both of my concerns. One is interest rates are higher today and a new loan would reset the finance rate. Second is a new car comparably equipped is t possible right now with all the deletions. No exec package, no lux seats, no tow hitch, etc.
Well a buy back would not change your current interest rate
What terms you had move to the new car, including the months remaining on your current loan. This is NOT a new loan.
It's basically the car is inadequate so they swap it out with the new one and everything else stays the same

Packages that aren't available now is a different matter
Maybe you can ask for the extended warranty or maintenance instead?

If they took out a package that cost say $3000, they would have to offer you something of comparable price, maybe a custom colour ?
The upgraded stereo? Throw in winter wheels/tires?
Bottom line is you need to figure out what the lemon laws in your state are
That's what I did
I told BMW dealer, this is what I can get if I lemon the car,
What can you offer me for the buy back?
I think in my case it was close to $12,000 as in VA they would have to pay me back the monthly payments I had paid on the lemon car.
Buy back is better for BMW as it's easier to sell a buy back compared to if you get a lawyer and the car is legally lemoned
Also if you lemon the car, I believe they have to pay your lawyers fees as well.
      08-19-2022, 03:19 AM   #7
leightos
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24 XM,'21 45e 'Lemon', '23 45e

did you go thru the same place you bought it from ? I am wondering on doing this as well, but I bought in CA, and recently moved to Vegas
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 06:39 PM   #8
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by leightos View Post
did you go thru the same place you bought it from ? I am wondering on doing this as well, but I bought in CA, and recently moved to Vegas
For me it was the same dealer I bought from
But it makes no difference
This is a deal between BMW and the buyer.
The dealer is just a middle man relaying BMWs offer to the buyer and sending back the response.

Most people just get a brand new car with the same options as the lemon,
I wanted more because I wasted 3 months taking my car back and forth and even having to keep exchanging loaners as they didn't want them to have more than a certain number of miles or they would have to sell them as used cars, as opposed to a dealer demos
So I wanted compensation, and I got 4500$
Yeah I paid $3000 out of pocket, but I got a car with 7500 more in options .
      05-28-2023, 01:08 PM   #9
Swtweath2
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

I’m curious if your X5 was bought back - i have the same model year and production date, though mine is an xdrive4.0, but it has also had tons of issues. Brakes and rotors all failed, and had to be replaced at about 6,000 miles. Multiple issues with a “chassis control” message, and issues with wind noise in the drivers door that was a service bulletin. I also had to have new exhaust tips put on because the original ones the paint started to peel off (another known issue). I don’t care for the ones they replaced them with.
Appreciate 0