12-21-2019, 12:38 PM   #749
DgjoX6M2016
F86, G05, E91
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86 X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyghost View Post
Guys wrinklegate is not over, production date Nov 02, Ivory white night blue full merino leather. I don't think this is acceptable, there is a big bulge on the left side that is very noticeable, it's not even wrinkle anymore.
Yikes. That is indeed unacceptable. They need to replace those seats.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 02:42 PM   #750
chrisvd183
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 xdrive45e

Hello alll this is a picture of mine.
My sales said it is "normal" ....
But i don't know. Anyone suggestions ?
Attached Images

Last edited by chrisvd183; 12-21-2019 at 02:44 PM.. Reason: Adding question
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 02:49 PM   #751
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvd183 View Post
It is always tough to tell from pictures but looks to be in the "intended wrinkle" range.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 02:56 PM   #752
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
I believe your SA told you the honest truth...and for me, that is where the problem is. Look, if you like it, isn't that really all that matters?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 03:01 PM   #753
chrisvd183
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 xdrive45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in Bgm View Post
I believe your SA told you the honest truth...and for me, that is where the problem is. Look, if you like it, isn't that really all that matters?
To be honesst ... true ! But in my F15 it wasn't like this....
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 03:06 PM   #754
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
But in my F15 it wasn't like this....
That is correct. From numerous sources, BMW received a lot of complaints regarding the comfort of the rear seats in the F15 so the "wrinkles" are an attempt to alleviate that.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 03:45 PM   #755
BMPHIL
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
That is correct. From numerous sources, BMW received a lot of complaints regarding the comfort of the rear seats in the F15 so the "wrinkles" are an attempt to alleviate that.
If that's correct the wrinkles should be on all cars and the same on them.
They are there because of BAD manufacturing techniques.
Appreciate 1
LexxM31698.50
      12-21-2019, 03:51 PM   #756
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMPHIL View Post
If that's correct the wrinkles should be on all cars and the same on them.
They are there because of BAD manufacturing techniques.
There may have been a few without them but very few so they are on all vehicles for all practical purposes. It is not possible to logically argue they are there by mistake.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 05:02 PM   #757
BMPHIL
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
There may have been a few without them but very few so they are on all vehicles for all practical purposes. It is not possible to logically argue they are there by mistake.

It is my opinion they shouldn't be there as it is your opinion they should.
If they should be there by design they should be consistent on all cars not different from car to car, that's how mass production works, also why are they not on the front seats if they are for practical purposes.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 05:15 PM   #758
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMPHIL View Post
It is my opinion they shouldn't be there as it is your opinion they should.
If they should be there by design they should be consistent on all cars not different from car to car, that's how mass production works, also why are they not on the front seats if they are for practical purposes.
We aren’t talking about an opinion on whether they should have been designed like that or not. In order to say they are not by design, it is impossible to come up with a plausible argument as to how that can be given all of the different departments, people and processes that are involved.

You have to keep in mind we are not talking about the cases where there have been excessive wrinkles. They occur because of poor material, poor workmanship, etc. and are of course not be design. If you look at the other 99% of the seats you should see a fairly consistent pattern in how the “wrinkles” are laid out and the seats produced.

As soon as they offer bench seats in the front you can ask that question, until then it sort of hurts your position.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 08:33 PM   #759
videoman535i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M50i, 2008 335i

BMPHIL (and others in this most popular thread) has it exactly right - if the wrinkles were intentional then we would all have them and they would be consistent between left and right, front to back, and vehicle to vehicle. We could discuss whether we liked it or not from an aesthetic perspective, but we wouldn't be arguing about the intentionality.

I don't understand the suggestion that the wrinkles are there to increase the comfort of the seats. If that were the case then the ultra luxury brands would have them. To my knowledge they do not.

If a wrinkled leather seat was the key to comfort, I think the world would have discovered this years ago. It would be common knowledge, it would be how all seats are made, and it wouldn't be a topic of discussion here.
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3683.50
      12-21-2019, 08:40 PM   #760
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by videoman535i View Post
BMPHIL (and others in this most popular thread) has it exactly right - if the wrinkles were intentional then we would all have them and they would be consistent between left and right, front to back, and vehicle to vehicle. We could discuss whether we liked it or not from an aesthetic perspective, but we wouldn't be arguing about the intentionality.

I don't understand the suggestion that the wrinkles are there to increase the comfort of the seats. If that were the case then the ultra luxury brands would have them. To my knowledge they do not.

If a wrinkled leather seat was the key to comfort, I think the world would have discovered this years ago. It would be common knowledge, it would be how all seats are made, and it wouldn't be a topic of discussion here.
Tilting at windmills. TurtleBoy has been on a mission to convince us that the wrinkles are intentional design, even with overwhelming evidence of high variety from smooth to highly lumpy, for a long long time. There is little point arguing against it. The rest of us are clear how mass production and quality control is supposed to work — nothing with this variety is intentional. Excuses, sometimes called "marketing", ARE intentional, however.
      12-21-2019, 08:53 PM   #761
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

I guess the old saying is true, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Right now there is a very thirsty herd unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 10:47 PM   #762
Carbonx5
Rep
Drives: S4

Production end of Nov 2019. At least one of the seats is covered by a baby seat for a few years. Definitely looks worse in picture than in person though.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 01:31 AM   #763
Beefcake
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 45e (2021) / 428i (2014)

Quote:
Hi Chris,

Don’t accept this as normal.
Someone else from this forum discussed this with BMW Belux and had his seats fixed! BMW Belux even paid for it. The more people complaint and demand a fix, the sooner BMW will attack at the root. Each Belux customer should do the same. Let them have to pay 3000€ for each delivery... it will end soon.

Just search the forum. I remember reading it in a delivery of a 45e

Go for it! I wouldn’t accept this ‘intentional’ sales blabla either.
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3683.50
      12-22-2019, 01:36 AM   #764
Sea Bandit
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M - F95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefcake View Post
Hi Chris,

Don’t accept this as normal.
Someone else from this forum discussed this with BMW Belux and had his seats fixed! BMW Belux even paid for it. The more people complaint and demand a fix, the sooner BMW will attack at the root. Each Belux customer should do the same. Let them have to pay 3000€ for each delivery... it will end soon.

Just search the forum. I remember reading it in a delivery of a 45e

Go for it! I wouldn’t accept this ‘intentional’ sales blabla either.
Agree with you 100% !!! We are paying a lot of money and we need to have perfect car without any mistakes, abnormalities...
2007 X5 E53 3.0d M-Sport, 2010 X5 E70 3.0d M-Sport, 2014 X5 F15 3.0d M-Sport, 2020 X5 xDrive 3.0d M-Sport
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3683.50
      12-22-2019, 05:02 AM   #765
babyghost
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

The first thing my friend pointed out when he gets in the car for the first time was those back seats. He asked "what's going on with the leather? " I'm just not happy I paid $2000 for the full leather and got this.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 05:04 AM   #766
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

I’m just confused...the seats are going to get worn in, mushed down, and wrinkled when people sit in them? Again, I get that it came like this...notify your dealership and BMW customer relations. If they say it’s normal, have them annotate that you brought this concern to their attention. Move on, enjoy the car, let the seats break in. If they start coming apart and/or continue to look like ass, then badger them again.

Not sure if people are leasing or purchasing, but it seems like on 3 year lease...take their explanation, even if you don’t agree, turn the car in at the end and move on. I hate to say it, but every car is going to have some type of “issue”. Like I said earlier, if you want to fight that fight, then so be it. I would put them on notice, in writing, and go about your business. File a complaint through whoever your country’s consumer protection agency might be. Again, I would let the seats break in. They’re going to show signs of wear and never look factory brand spanking new once you get people consistently in the back. My seats have people back there regularly, 100lb dog on them or on top with the seats folded down. They are holding up and look great. Again, this is just my opinion, so please don’t crucify me!
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 07:35 AM   #767
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by randybobandy View Post
I'm just confused...the seats are going to get worn in, mushed down, and wrinkled when people sit in them? Again, I get that it came like this...notify your dealership and BMW customer relations. If they say it's normal, have them annotate that you brought this concern to their attention. Move on, enjoy the car, let the seats break in. If they start coming apart and/or continue to look like ass, then badger them again.

Not sure if people are leasing or purchasing, but it seems like on 3 year lease...take their explanation, even if you don't agree, turn the car in at the end and move on. I hate to say it, but every car is going to have some type of "issue". Like I said earlier, if you want to fight that fight, then so be it. I would put them on notice, in writing, and go about your business. File a complaint through whoever your country's consumer protection agency might be. Again, I would let the seats break in. They're going to show signs of wear and never look factory brand spanking new once you get people consistently in the back. My seats have people back there regularly, 100lb dog on them or on top with the seats folded down. They are holding up and look great. Again, this is just my opinion, so please don't crucify me!
This is practical advice, of course.

I think what annoys the rest of us is a) we paid a lot of money and obviously a premium to a brand that literally advertises attention to all detail, b) they haven't solved an obvious manufacturing issue in well over a year of manufacturing their flagship car, and c) they have the gall to bullshit us with the "by design" assertion all this time while continuing to actively advertise a falsehood and perfection.
      12-22-2019, 08:45 AM   #768
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post

I think what annoys the rest of us is a) we paid a lot of money and obviously a premium to a brand that literally advertises attention to all detail, b) they haven't solved an obvious manufacturing issue in well over a year of manufacturing their flagship car, and c) they have the gall to bullshit us with the "by design" assertion all this time while continuing to actively advertise a falsehood and perfection.
Oh I agree with you 100%. The problem is we need a collective voice to blast them. I look at BMW's customer service is on par with trying to get a law changed. You have to drill them consistently and constantly. I guess where my lack of knowledge or experience is being relatively new to BMW. This is my second BMW and first X5. Having own SUVs previously, the "leather" in American brands are cheap. You don't notice any issues (in my experience) since the material is usually pleather. It's always stretch tight, but you definitely can feel a quality difference.

We almost need a new section on this forum with collective issues. This way, we might be able to coordinate our efforts in getting some resolution. A complaint here and there...they won't do anything. I'm all for fighting the good fight if we go at it together!
Appreciate 1
LexxM31698.50
      12-22-2019, 08:52 AM   #769
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by randybobandy View Post
Quote:

Oh I agree with you 100%. The problem is we need a collective voice to blast them. I look at BMW's customer service is on par with trying to get a law changed. You have to drill them consistently and constantly. I guess where my lack of knowledge or experience is being relatively new to BMW. This is my second BMW and first X5. Having own SUVs previously, the "leather" in American brands are cheap. You don't notice any issues (in my experience) since the material is usually pleather. It's always stretch tight, but you definitely can feel a quality difference.

We almost need a new section on this forum with collective issues. This way, we might be able to coordinate our efforts in getting some resolution. A complaint here and there...they won't do anything. I'm all for fighting the good fight if we go at it together!
Yes, organizing random discussions to extract actionable issue data and, perhaps, action is a challenge on forums. Since my first serious involvements in forums in this context (2001 onward E46M3 exploding engines and transmission clunk, and then defective VANOS hub design issues) I've wished for such a facility. Wish forum designers would listen and provide design structures for the issue tracking use case as well, but this has not happened yet in almost 20 years of forums and 35+ years of online discussions (Usenet anyone?).
      12-22-2019, 09:05 AM   #770
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

Quote:
Yes, organizing random discussions to extract actionable issue data and, perhaps, action is a challenge on forums. Since my first serious involvements in forums in this context (2001 onward E46M3 exploding engines and transmission clunk, and then defective VANOS hub design issues) I've wished for such a facility. Wish forum designers would listen and provide design structures for the issue tracking use case as well, but this has not happened yet in almost 20 years of forums and 35+ years of online discussions (Usenet anyone?).
Damn LexxM3 ...you're an OG on here! Is there a way the moderators can add a section? As you mentioned, it is tough trying to search each thread and get a discussion going/trying to get on the same page. We almost need a section and then various threads on "verified" issues reported by multiple people. Then just keep on topic and coordinate our efforts. Might be a lot of work, but at least we might be able to get some resolution.
Appreciate 0