03-07-2023, 09:56 AM   #1
MadMaxed
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW, Range Rover

Integrated Universal Remote Control

Hey guys,

I have question about an add-on called "Integrated Universal Remote Control" for garage and garden door.

Searched the forum but couldn't find much.

Does anyone has it in their X5s?

How is your experience in terms of:
1. Its usability
2. Range
3. Compatibility with Major garage door lock manufacturer?

Also feel free to mention if you have faced any issues?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 10:28 AM   #2
Vilhelm
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 xDrive 45e

I have it on my '22 45e and works fine with our garage doors. Not sure of the exact range, but I usually press the open button on the bottom of the rearview mirror 2-3 houses away, so I would estimate a range of 100-150 feet (could be longer but I've never tried). The garage door opener I use it with is a Liftmaster at home and an Overhead Door one at the lake (you can link up to 3 doors/gates).
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2023, 10:38 AM   #3
GordoCLM
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilhelm View Post
I have it on my '22 45e and works fine with our garage doors. Not sure of the exact range, but I usually press the open button on the bottom of the rearview mirror 2-3 houses away, so I would estimate a range of 100-150 feet (could be longer but I've never tried). The garage door opener I use it with is a Liftmaster at home and an Overhead Door one at the lake (you can link up to 3 doors/gates).

I also have it on my 45e and is way more convenient than searching for the remote in the car.
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2023, 12:48 PM   #4
fan25
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 x5 45e

Garage List
Has it on my 21’ 45e

1. Its usability
Very convenient, use it every day. All you need to do is following the instruction and pairing the device

2. Range
I usually use it at about 100 ft distance from my garage door

3. Compatibility
I paired it with Liftmaster remote and it works fine
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2023, 01:01 PM   #5
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

The pairing instructions didn't seem to be the greatest, but once I got it to work, it was and has been fine.

Just as an aside, when you sell the vehicle, remember to clear that, along with all of your personal information that's stored in iDrive like your addresses, contacts, etc.
Appreciate 2
      03-07-2023, 03:13 PM   #6
rundeyvoo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 / X3 / 330e / 330i

I use the garage door / homelink receiver on my 45e and it works pretty good. Much better than keeping another garage door opener in the car, might as well use what's integrated in the vehicle. Range can be a bit hit or miss if I'm backing the car in, but it'll still open so long I'm near enough.

Here's a vid of configuring it in case you need it:
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2023, 07:41 PM   #7
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
MY21 45e
1) i use it everyday even though i have the original remote
2) range is well over 100 feet as i activate it when entering our cul-de-sac
3) paired with a proprietary garage opener that's HomeLink compatible. easy programming. no issues.
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2023, 08:08 PM   #8
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rundeyvoo View Post
I use the garage door / homelink receiver on my 45e and it works pretty good. Much better than keeping another garage door opener in the car, might as well use what's integrated in the vehicle. Range can be a bit hit or miss if I'm backing the car in, but it'll still open so long I'm near enough.

Same observation. Car front facing garage door, as if I am coming home, 100% working so far. Range is long enough, I can hit the button and the door will be fully open when I get there. And I back in. When the car's rear is facing the door, like if I come out of the garage, and need to close door, it is hit or miss even if I am 1 car length away from the door. When it doesn't work, I just use my phone to close. It is still a lot better than keeping a remote in the car.
      03-07-2023, 08:46 PM   #9
GerryC
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i, BMW X5x40i

Garage List
They work well. The newer Security+ 2.0 openers are a bit more finicky than the older ones. When I had to replace my GDO last year I could definitely tell the difference. They have less range than the older models and it takes a bit longer for it to work. Occasionally it takes a second punch of the button to operate the door.

I have them in most of my cars over the last 10-15 years and find it annoying that my truck doesn't have it. So there's a remote in it. That sometimes gives me a bit of concern, because if someone breaks into the truck they can use the remote to get in the garage. With the integrated remote, it doesn't work if the car isn't running. A valuable safety feature if you ever park it outside.

Gerry
      03-07-2023, 09:08 PM   #10
GerryC
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i, BMW X5x40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMaxed View Post
Hey guys,

I have question about an add-on called "Integrated Universal Remote Control" for garage and garden door.

Searched the forum but couldn't find much.

Does anyone has it in their X5s?

How is your experience in terms of:
1. Its usability
2. Range
3. Compatibility with Major garage door lock manufacturer?

Also feel free to mention if you have faced any issues?

Thanks in advance!
Regarding #3, they work with all the major openers; LiftMaster/Chamberlain, Genie, Craftsman, and probably a few others.

The only compatibility "issue" people have is one that doesn't apply to newer cars like the G05.

About 10-12 years ago, they switched to a new protocol, Security+ 2.0 (round yellow learn button). Homelink universal openers designed for the older Security+ (purple, yellow, or green learn buttons) won't work with the newer openers using Security+ 2.0. Newer Homelink openers will work with both.

If you have a vintage Exx chassis BMW (like my E89 Z4), it won't work directly with Security+ 2.0 openers. You have to buy a Homelink repeater and plug it in an outlet in your garage. You then program the car to the repeater and the repeater to the opener.

And if you have a really old opener that uses dip switches to set the code, you're SOL.

Gerry
      03-08-2023, 06:06 AM   #11
sparrky
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW - 2023 X5 40i

Garage List
2023 BMW X5  [0.00]
I have it and it works well with the garage door openers that I have.

With one door opener brand, Liftmaster it was quick and easy to program. With a Genie opener it was a little tricky to set up, having to use both the remote and programming button on the opener to set it up.

But with both openers it works well from a good distance, probably at least 80-100 feet, between the opener and the car.
Appreciate 1
      03-08-2023, 07:01 AM   #12
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rundeyvoo View Post
Same observation. Car front facing garage door, as if I am coming home, 100% working so far. Range is long enough, I can hit the button and the door will be fully open when I get there. And I back in. When the car's rear is facing the door, like if I come out of the garage, and need to close door, it is hit or miss even if I am 1 car length away from the door. When it doesn't work, I just use my phone to close. It is still a lot better than keeping a remote in the car.
are the light bulbs in your garage door openers LED? it's known that LEDs greatly interfere with the remote's signal range, including the HomeLink button. still, facing away from the garage door kills some range from the remote or HomeLink button whether or not the LEDs are on. even though i bought garage door-compatible LEDs, the signal range isn't as good as with traditional incandescent bulbs when they're on, but they're better than non-garage door-compatible LEDs.
Appreciate 3
eelnoraa2032.50
FLYSWA30.50
      03-08-2023, 07:24 AM   #13
MadMaxed
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
are the light bulbs in your garage door openers LED? it's known that LEDs greatly interfere with the remote's signal range, HomeLink button included. still, facing away from the garage door kills some range from the HomeLink button whether or not the LEDs are on. even though i bought the garage door-compatible LEDs, the signal range isn't as good as with traditional incandescent bulbs when they're on, but they're better than non-garage door-compatible LEDs.
Yes there are quite a few motion activated LED lights in the garage. Its a common garage shared by building tenants. Everyone has got a few remotes keys.

This means I wont be able to replace them just in case they create an interference.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2023, 07:26 AM   #14
MadMaxed
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Thank you all for the detailed answers. They are very helpful.
Cheers!
Appreciate 1
nZtiZia4653.50
      03-08-2023, 07:27 AM   #15
MadMaxed
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
The pairing instructions didn't seem to be the greatest, but once I got it to work, it was and has been fine.

Just as an aside, when you sell the vehicle, remember to clear that, along with all of your personal information that's stored in iDrive like your addresses, contacts, etc.
Oh yah. Thanks. That is an easy one to forget LOL.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2023, 10:14 AM   #16
Heavyd
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

I was hoping I could add this option on my new 50e I ordered. But the dealer said my garage door isn't listed on the Homelink website so it probably won't work.
My garage door installer said it sometimes won't work with every car brand.

Too bad because we installed a new garage door 2 years ago.
It's a Select-Line (Berger?), 868 Mhz. Maybe some obscure brand that isn't listed?

Could it be possible that it works or will it definitely not work when it's not listed on Homelink?

I could still add this option but if it doesn't work this would be pointless.

Some ideas if I should take the risk of taking that option or will it be waste of money.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2023, 09:52 PM   #17
hufington
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 m50i

Garage List
Using with Liftmaster w/o problems. My Driveway is about 150 feet and sloped. I hit it at the gate and have no issues. Any further, works intermittently, especially when there are trees in between the car and the garage door. The only issue I had was that I could not pair with an older model Liftmaster at the office.
Appreciate 1
      03-08-2023, 10:35 PM   #18
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

You can get an idea of compatibility by the color of the LED used on the opener.
https://support.partner.liftmaster.c...earn%20buttons.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2023, 10:43 PM   #19
mmm50i
Captain
Rep
Drives: '22 X5 M50i & '23 Model Y

1. I use it daily, very useful!

2. I usually use it when i'm 4-5 houses away, but I think it'll work even further than that as well.

3. I have 2 Lift Masters and it works with both of them no problem.
Appreciate 1
      03-08-2023, 11:18 PM   #20
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
are the light bulbs in your garage door openers LED? it's known that LEDs greatly interfere with the remote's signal range, including the HomeLink button. still, facing away from the garage door kills some range from the remote or HomeLink button whether or not the LEDs are on. even though i bought garage door-compatible LEDs, the signal range isn't as good as with traditional incandescent bulbs when they're on, but they're better than non-garage door-compatible LEDs.
This is a very interesting comment. I do have a lot of LEDs in my garage. 14 recessed 5” and 2 bulbs the opener. Let me correlate if leds are on vs I cannot close garage door.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2023, 08:28 AM   #21
Guy Fleegman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelnoraa View Post
This is a very interesting comment. I do have a lot of LEDs in my garage. 14 recessed 5” and 2 bulbs the opener. Let me correlate if leds are on vs I cannot close garage door.
The functional range on my BMW opener is much shorter than it was on my Acura or our other car (Subaru). I have to be within a few feet on the door.

But I did put LED lights in the opener box about the same time I got the car. The other lights in the garage are CFLs that have been there forever. I'll swap the LEDs out today to see if it improves.
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2023, 08:38 AM   #22
Chonkapotamus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

I have a 23 45e, and use this feature daily. One button controls my Chamberlain door, and the other controls the Liftmaster door at a family member's house. I hit the button when I'm two or three houses away from my house and it works great.

This is my 4th or 5th car with this kind of feature, and I found it easiest of the bunch to program. Range is as good as any of the other vehicles I've had. It's a very nice feature.
Appreciate 1