New to BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 50e

Garage List
2024 NMW X5 50e  [0.00]
Specific Questions for the X5 50e

Hello Everyone

I'm new to BMW, I have the X5 50e and I'm super impressed with this BMW, they are super fun to drive and the craftmanship seems to be on point.

Currently have a few questions, hopefully someone can help here.

- The 12V Outlet in the Trunk Area of the 50e, seems to go off after 15 minutes or so. Does anyone knows how to keep that outlet with constant power?

recently while admiring my new car from underneath, seeing how this beast is made, I noticed the exhaust "valve control unit" on the passenger side of the 50e exhaust. this valve seems to be closed most or all the time, cant figure out when it opens.

- Would like to learn more about the valve behavior, and if anything can be done to switch it open?

- Any other Ideas and Tips for new BMW owners, websites, useful videos ect?

Any info will be appreciated.

Thanks
      11-14-2023, 04:10 PM   #2
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

1. No, it is not possible to have it on all of the time.

2. Only one valve is open on startup, both should be open at higher RPM's

3. Some folks like to have two open all of the time and the easiest, most popular way to achieve it is to use Bimmerlink to open the valve and then either pull the fuse or disconnect the controller to keep it open.
      11-14-2023, 04:17 PM   #3
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

The ICE warms up faster with that valve closed, which helps efficiency. Unless you're running in sport mode, especially at lower speeds when you might hear it, under load when it opens, it is more likely masked by other noises.

Most stuff in the vehicle shuts down in stages, and as noted, that's not something that can be changed, at least easily. IOW, there's no user configuration that will do that.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2023, 10:29 PM   #4
Tropikal
New to BMW
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 NMW X5 50e  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
1. No, it is not possible to have it on all of the time.

2. Only one valve is open on startup, both should be open at higher RPM's

3. Some folks like to have two open all of the time and the easiest, most popular way to achieve it is to use Bimmerlink to open the valve and then either pull the fuse or disconnect the controller to keep it open.
Thanks for the info TurtleBoy
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2023, 10:31 PM   #5
Tropikal
New to BMW
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 NMW X5 50e  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
The ICE warms up faster with that valve closed, which helps efficiency. Unless you're running in sport mode, especially at lower speeds when you might hear it, under load when it opens, it is more likely masked by other noises.

Most stuff in the vehicle shuts down in stages, and as noted, that's not something that can be changed, at least easily. IOW, there's no user configuration that will do that.
Thanks for the info.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 12:00 AM   #6
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

I want to debunk some of the misinformation here. The way the G05 exhaust value is located, in fact, way back to my 2003 E39, where the exhaust valve is located, it is NOT to help ICE warm up faster. In fact, I want to ask, which part of the ICE get warm up after by closing down the last 10% of the exhaust!!

In G05 B58 engine, where exhaust is a single pipe after the turbo, and the location of the valve, the only purpose it serve is noise reduction. There seems to be strict Euro7 requirement on noise, lead to newer generation of car all become quieter. This is one of the way. Besides coding, there are many after market valve that allow user to control when valve is open or close.
      11-15-2023, 12:11 AM   #7
Baz84
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05 LCI 50e

I have been researching the exhaust valve question also. I invested in Bimmerlink and OBD connector but the valve control option is not available due to BMW locking down access to the ECU’s and requiring a BMW server connection.

As it stands, I think the only way to open the valve permanently is to either a.) have some one pull the fuse while the car is is sport mode, moving and above 4,000rpm (slightly risky!) or b.) removing the pin that connects the motor and the valve and secure the valve open.

At the moment I don’t fancy either of those so just living with the normal valve behaviour for now.

If anyone has any other info to help it would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 01:21 AM   #8
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

The catalytic convertor is run rich until it gets hot enough to properly function. It will get to operating temperature faster with that closed. It can also help the turbo spool up faster by forcing the flow through the port which helps drivability under some throttle positions.
Appreciate 1
      11-15-2023, 01:42 AM   #9
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The catalytic convertor is run rich until it gets hot enough to properly function. It will get to operating temperature faster with that closed. It can also help the turbo spool up faster by forcing the flow through the port which helps drivability under some throttle positions.
Please, none of these is accurate. Having you ever look at where the valve is?? I guess not. The valve location does NOT help cat warm up. Valve at that location also absolutely doesn't help turbo spool up faster. The exhaust flow through the turbo is the same because turbo is way before the valve, because the flow before the valve doesn't change open or close. The exhaust flow after a close valve has higher velocity, but it is too far down the road.

Last edited by eelnoraa; 11-15-2023 at 01:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 04:47 AM   #10
MikeX521
Private
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelnoraa View Post
Please, none of these is accurate. Having you ever look at where the valve is?? I guess not. The valve location does NOT help cat warm up. Valve at that location also absolutely doesn't help turbo spool up faster. The exhaust flow through the turbo is the same because turbo is way before the valve, because the flow before the valve doesn't change open or close. The exhaust flow after a close valve has higher velocity, but it is too far down the road.
Doesn’t back pressure affect the spool up time of the turbo?
Which would be created by the valve closed?
Curious.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 08:59 AM   #11
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
The valve location does NOT help cat warm up.
Perhaps something changed, or it is a big urban myth, but from what I have seen in forum posts and online articles say that the valve is closed in order to warm up the cat faster due to emissions.
      11-15-2023, 10:50 AM   #12
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeX521 View Post
Doesn’t back pressure affect the spool up time of the turbo?
Which would be created by the valve closed?
Curious.
From theory, what helps exhaust flow, which is what turning the turbine is exhaust flow velocity. Back pressure along is bad for this, so it is not what you want, turbo or non turbo. What people learned is if you can increase the flow velocity down stream, this actually reduce back pressure for upstream, help "suck" air out of exhaust manifold. This is called exhaust scavenging. However, to achieve this, you really need to increase the flow where it is needed. To help turbo spool up, the place to close half of the pipe should be after the turbo, but as close it as possible. What G05 has the valve is right before the final silencer. So only air flow through silencer increase velocity. Anything before that flow isn't changed, and turbo is way too far from there to see any impact.

The next part, maybe someone in the exhaust industry can confirm. Where G05 has the valve, basically when it is close. Exhaust flow is 100% directed into silencer. When the valve is open, most exhaust actually bypass the silencer. This is why I think this is all about sound. If it isn't, why by pass silencer when valve open.
      11-15-2023, 11:01 AM   #13
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Perhaps something changed, or it is a big urban myth, but from what I have seen in forum posts and online articles say that the valve is closed in order to warm up the cat faster due to emissions.
I agree cat warm up faster will help emission. But I don't see how G05 closing that valve at that location can help cat warm up. The flow at the cat portion is largely unaffected by the exhaust flapper valve. My question for this is, if closing the valve is really for cat warm up, then why not have it fully open after warm up, right?

The common technique I know in modern engine to help cat warm up is the secondary air injection system, which also has a valve to inject fresh air into exhaust manifold. This help unburn fuel from cold start (rich) to burn, increase exhaust air and manifold temperature, lead to helping cat to warm up. Maybe this is the valve people are referring to?

The reason I am aware of this is for early DI engine, this secondary injection system can get completely caulked up, car will throw code, and fail smog check. Lot of info in good for Secondary Injection cleaning". this is specially bad for early Audi 3.2 SC engine, which I helped a friend to debug before

Last edited by eelnoraa; 11-15-2023 at 11:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 01:08 PM   #14
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
I agree cat warm up faster will help emission. But I don't see how G05 closing that valve at that location can help cat warm up. The flow at the cat portion is largely unaffected by the exhaust flapper valve. My question for this is, if closing the valve is really for cat warm up, then why not have it fully open after warm up, right?

The common technique I know in modern engine to help cat warm up is the secondary air injection system, which also has a valve to inject fresh air into exhaust manifold. This help unburn fuel from cold start (rich) to burn, increase exhaust air and manifold temperature, lead to helping cat to warm up. Maybe this is the valve people are referring to?
No, it is the exhaust flap that is being referred to. This example is back from 2016 so things could be different, it is a sticky from the 3-Series forum.

"It is completely normal for exhaust gas to come out of only one of your two exhaust tips, and for only one to look dirty most of the time.

This is because the exhaust on our cars is valved, meaning it has a "flap" inside one of the pipes, and can be controlled electronically by the car for various reasons. In most cases, the flap will be closed, and this is the default setting for both Eco Pro and Comfort mode, this is why you see one tip clean and one tip dirty. In Sport and Sport+, it is open.

Here is a summary of the function of the flap (to my best knowledge):
Flap closed on startup to help warm up the cat's faster.
Flap will open itself when the car reaches idle, and will typically open itself when the car is idling.
After driving away in either Comfort or Eco Pro, the flap will close, and remain closed unless you give the car hard throttle.
The flap will remain open in Sport and Sport+ mode.

If you car doesn't do what I described to the T, don't worry, it doesn't mean somethings wrong, the car's computer is very smart, and only under certain conditions will that flap open itself, so if you go out and start your car and it happens to be open, don't worry, maybe your cars already warm, etc, etc."

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1220699
      11-15-2023, 01:25 PM   #15
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

FWIW, the vehicle's configuration is dictated by their passing emissions testing. If a mechanic modifies it, it's a significant federal fine if caught. The owner modifying the system, may or may not affect emissions, depending on what is done, and if caught, can force remedial repair, but not a fine...the odds of getting caught aren't high, but non-zero. Not every location has emissions testing, and in mine, they no longer do tailpipe testing, and rely on the OBD system's monitoring...no errors, it's okay. A 'stuck' valve might throw a code, so would not pass if it did where I live.

The manufacturers' spend millions of dollars designing and testing their systems, which is not going to be replicated by an individual, so what happens throughout the rev and load range is much harder to discern, and not likely to guarantee passing an emissions test, or, possibly, the sound test.

Yes, I understand people may want their vehicle to 'sound better', but there are lots of other people out there that are just as happy for it to be as silent as possible...thinking you're going to 'fix' it by modifying it may or may not happen. Then, your fix might be someone else's bane. I happen to live about 1/2-mile from a divided highway, with lots of trees and buildings between me and it...I find it really annoying, with the windows closed, to hear a vehicle speeding down that highway...under normal circumstances, it's all dissipated by the time it gets to me. And, no, forcing the flap open on your BMW won't reach to those levels, but studies have found that persistent noise levels raise stress hormones, and if loud enough, damage hearing, so that is something to consider, too.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 02:06 PM   #16
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No, it is the exhaust flap that is being referred to. This example is back from 2016 so things could be different, it is a sticky from the 3-Series forum.

"It is completely normal for exhaust gas to come out of only one of your two exhaust tips, and for only one to look dirty most of the time.

This is because the exhaust on our cars is valved, meaning it has a "flap" inside one of the pipes, and can be controlled electronically by the car for various reasons. In most cases, the flap will be closed, and this is the default setting for both Eco Pro and Comfort mode, this is why you see one tip clean and one tip dirty. In Sport and Sport+, it is open.

Here is a summary of the function of the flap (to my best knowledge):
Flap closed on startup to help warm up the cat's faster.
Flap will open itself when the car reaches idle, and will typically open itself when the car is idling.
After driving away in either Comfort or Eco Pro, the flap will close, and remain closed unless you give the car hard throttle.
The flap will remain open in Sport and Sport+ mode.

If you car doesn't do what I described to the T, don't worry, it doesn't mean somethings wrong, the car's computer is very smart, and only under certain conditions will that flap open itself, so if you go out and start your car and it happens to be open, don't worry, maybe your cars already warm, etc, etc."

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1220699
For the valve behavior, my observation based on my car is slightly different. in my e39, e46, e82, in cold start, the valve is open. I can see the value open. I even try to use my hand to close the valve and want to see how the sound is different.

As to closing the valve warm up cat sooner, I just don't see how. The valve is too far from the cat. The flow at where the cat is, is unaffected by valve near the silencer. If the valve is place closer to the cat, I can still see how this can help
      11-15-2023, 02:12 PM   #17
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
For the valve behavior, my observation based on my car is slightly different. in my e39, e46, e82, in cold start, the valve is open. I can see the value open. I even try to use my hand to close the valve and want to see how the sound is different.

As to closing the valve warm up cat sooner, I just don't see how. The valve is too far from the cat. The flow at where the cat is, is unaffected by valve near the silencer. If the valve is place closer to the cat, I can still see how this can help
I have never looked into it so don't know how it works or even if it does. Was just passing along info that I came across.
      11-15-2023, 02:21 PM   #18
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
FWIW, the vehicle's configuration is dictated by their passing emissions testing. If a mechanic modifies it, it's a significant federal fine if caught. The owner modifying the system, may or may not affect emissions, depending on what is done, and if caught, can force remedial repair, but not a fine...the odds of getting caught aren't high, but non-zero. Not every location has emissions testing, and in mine, they no longer do tailpipe testing, and rely on the OBD system's monitoring...no errors, it's okay. A 'stuck' valve might throw a code, so would not pass if it did where I live.

The manufacturers' spend millions of dollars designing and testing their systems, which is not going to be replicated by an individual, so what happens throughout the rev and load range is much harder to discern, and not likely to guarantee passing an emissions test, or, possibly, the sound test.

Yes, I understand people may want their vehicle to 'sound better', but there are lots of other people out there that are just as happy for it to be as silent as possible...thinking you're going to 'fix' it by modifying it may or may not happen. Then, your fix might be someone else's bane. I happen to live about 1/2-mile from a divided highway, with lots of trees and buildings between me and it...I find it really annoying, with the windows closed, to hear a vehicle speeding down that highway...under normal circumstances, it's all dissipated by the time it gets to me. And, no, forcing the flap open on your BMW won't reach to those levels, but studies have found that persistent noise levels raise stress hormones, and if loud enough, damage hearing, so that is something to consider, too.
It is a very difficult discussion to have if goal post is moving. Are we switching from an automotive mechanical topic to a legal topic, medical topics?

I have never said force valve to open or loud exhaust is good or bad. I am merely saying a lot of your understand of how cars and engines work, are far from fact. Treating the manual writen by marketing tech write as bible, won't get you better understanding of your car.
      11-15-2023, 02:24 PM   #19
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have never looked into it so don't know how it works or even if it does. Was just passing along info that I came across.
Totally understood. By question, I don't mean to question you. It is just something that doesn't make sense to me from previous experiences of working on cars. I am open to learning if an exhaust expert can explain to me how this works.
      11-15-2023, 02:43 PM   #20
cobramite
Banned
Rep
Drives: '24 X6 M60i, '22 Macan GTS

Quote:

Good grief. Really?
That was quite a lecture Man.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 02:53 PM   #21
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

My point being, BMW designed things in a certain way. You can disagree with how they did it, but they're not forcing you to buy it either. The average person does not have the tools or knowledge to understand the rationale about why all things were done the way they were, or the consequences of modifying it. In common things that don't matter, or to comply with local rules, they either allow you to modify things via iDrive, or are forced that way to pass local regulations.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 05:08 PM   #22
cobramite
Banned
Rep
Drives: '24 X6 M60i, '22 Macan GTS

Overall I am quite satisfied with my new BMW. I don't like the Prius sounding exhaust and neither do many others here but that is not the end of the world.
Appreciate 1