Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
WSJ Opinion: Buyers Just Say No to Electric Vehicles

WSJ Opinion: Buyers Just Say No to Electric Vehicles
https://finance.yahoo.com/video/wsj-...170700851.html

Are Americans Falling Out of Love With EVs?
https://www.wsj.com/business/autos/a...h-evs-2c7e6a1a

Last edited by omasou; 12-04-2023 at 09:43 AM..
Appreciate 1
      12-04-2023, 01:46 AM   #2
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

They just don't work for a lot of people's use cases. Those that fit the requirement have already purchase them. The technology is evolving rapidly (think iPhone) and now they are suffering depreciation like never before (Tesla), worse than a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2023, 02:03 AM   #3
Nahlem
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: None atm

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 m50  [10.00]
Then this is good news if we can see massive dropping prices on EVs from now on the more will start to look at them as viable options when it comes to the 2nd market.

Auto makers needs to lower the prices of their Evs for more people to want to buy them.

If we get the prices down to a "normal" level of buyers, we will probably see a second explosion of evs being sold but on the 2nd market.

By 2030s when solid state is in place or mixed chemistry batteries like the one recently tested in the IX reaching 900 kms on WLTP cycle. We will probably reach a point where a lot of people buying their first cars from the 2nd market will look at EVs as an option and not opting out because of the prices.

That will be the change that is good for this market. Gas stations today will want to add EV charging to their infrastructures to keep customers coming back but probably a name change will be in place, sense Gas/Charing will be available as options there.

Former Car:BMW i4 M50 Brooklyn Grey (MY22)| BMW i3s BEV (MY19)|Former Car: BMW X1 20d x-drive (MY16)|BMW m235i (MY14)|Former Car: BMW 120d (MY12)|Former Car: Volvo C30 T5 R-Design (MY08)|Former Car: Volvo C70 T5 (MY06)|Former Car: Volvo S40 2.0T(MY1999)
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2023, 09:24 AM   #4
ppointer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3M, '12 335is, '22 540i

Garage List
2012 BMW 335i  [5.25]
2012 BMW 335is  [5.00]
2008 Infiniti QX56  [0.00]
1967 Chevrolet Corv ...  [10.00]
2001 M Roadster  [10.00]
2022 BMW 540i  [0.75]
2009 528i  [9.50]
Sometimes when I am considering investment opportunities, I ask my millennial daughters about their use or perception of a product. So, they look at Tesla as an aspirational product, which is a bullish sign for me. The problem, though, is a limited market, as only one of them is in a position to be able to purchase even a $30k car of any type. Also, I would find it impossible for an EV to be my only vehicle, considering the range and the availability of chargers. But I do not know the solution of long term ownership while living in an apartment, as few apartment complexes in my area have significant (if any) EV chargers.

Recently, the HOA of one my condos started to consider possible solutions to EV ownership for the 32-unit building. We have an underground garage with assigned parking. Sure, we could do an assessment to pay for the runs of 240v electric to each owner's spots, for perhaps $2k each. Then, we need to consider fire protection, since EV spontaneous combustion is a thing and our sprinkler system is not robust enough to deal with an EV fire.

I would prefer to see limited government involvement here. Notice I didn't say no government involvement, since I am uncertain the free market would have implemented passive restraint systems and airbags on their own, as well as other worthwhile safety upgrades. But these states that have considered abolishing the sale of ICE vehicles in the near future? No, that slows innovation rather than accelerates it.
Appreciate 2
      12-04-2023, 10:22 AM   #5
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppointer View Post
Recently, the HOA of one my condos started to consider possible solutions to EV ownership for the 32-unit building. We have an underground garage with assigned parking. Sure, we could do an assessment to pay for the runs of 240v electric to each owner's spots, for perhaps $2k each. Then, we need to consider fire protection, since EV spontaneous combustion is a thing and our sprinkler system is not robust enough to deal with an EV fire.
It is going to cost a lot more than 2k per parking space...
Appreciate 1
      12-04-2023, 11:27 AM   #6
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Sometimes when I am considering investment opportunities, I ask my millennial daughters about their use or perception of a product. So, they look at Tesla as an aspirational product, which is a bullish sign for me. The problem, though, is a limited market, as only one of them is in a position to be able to purchase even a $30k car of any type. Also, I would find it impossible for an EV to be my only vehicle, considering the range and the availability of chargers. But I do not know the solution of long term ownership while living in an apartment, as few apartment complexes in my area have significant (if any) EV chargers.

I would prefer to see limited government involvement here. Notice I didn't say no government involvement, since I am uncertain the free market would have implemented passive restraint systems and airbags on their own, as well as other worthwhile safety upgrades. But these states that have considered abolishing the sale of ICE vehicles in the near future? No, that slows innovation rather than accelerates it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgus View Post
It is going to cost a lot more than 2k per parking space...
If the electric infrastructure cost is similar for your 32 unit condo building to the cost for my 180 parking space condo garage it would exceed $53,000. Just for the electric infrastructure to handle the actual installation of the charging stations. For our condo building the basic infrastructure cost before a single charger is installed exceeds $300,000.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

12-04-2023, 01:05 PM   #7
2heeldrive
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 4.0, 2022 330ix

Not sure I would want to live above a parking garage full of charging EV's.
Appreciate 7
NickyC17484.50
Torgus3781.50
eugenebmw1479.00
co_440i108.00
      12-04-2023, 01:07 PM   #8
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahlem View Post
Then this is good news if we can see massive dropping prices on EVs from now on the more will start to look at them as viable options when it comes to the 2nd market.

Auto makers needs to lower the prices of their Evs for more people to want to buy them.

If we get the prices down to a "normal" level of buyers, we will probably see a second explosion of evs being sold but on the 2nd market.

By 2030s when solid state is in place or mixed chemistry batteries like the one recently tested in the IX reaching 900 kms on WLTP cycle. We will probably reach a point where a lot of people buying their first cars from the 2nd market will look at EVs as an option and not opting out because of the prices.

That will be the change that is good for this market. Gas stations today will want to add EV charging to their infrastructures to keep customers coming back but probably a name change will be in place, sense Gas/Charing will be available as options there.
Automakers wont lower their prices, they'll reduce production allocations to EV's, which has already happened. Nobody wants these things and there is alot more to it than just price.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2023, 01:09 PM   #9
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2heeldrive View Post
Wait until we get entire malls and condos burning down from thermal runaway of a garage full of these things.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2023, 01:11 PM   #10
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

There isn't a sprinkler system in the world that's robust enough for put out a garage full of EVs on fire. It'll just be full thermal runaway that will burn for days and will probably do a ton of damage to the structure of the condo. Good luck with that.
Appreciate 1
ppointer743.00
      12-04-2023, 01:51 PM   #11
BMthusiast
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM F80 M-DCT

Alright on to hydrogen!
      12-04-2023, 03:00 PM   #12
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forzanerazzurri View Post
Wait until we get entire malls and condos burning down from thermal runaway of a garage full of these things.
I have been having this thought more and more lately!! Right now my two level condo garage has one Tesla that has a charging station. (That’s how we found out about the infrastructure cost if we wanted to add additional charging stations.) And the parking space right next to mine is now occupied by a Tesla. (There is no charging station for that car and there won’t be anytime soon.) There are about 40 parking spaces in my first level garage and about 140 spaces in the second level garage and there are eight floors of condos above the two parking garages. A total of 160 condos.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

12-04-2023, 03:09 PM   #13
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Demand is cooling as car prices are through the roof and lending costs are through the roof. That means lease costs are up and etc etc.

Harder to say how much of the cooling off is limited to “we’ve sold every EV to everyone who wants one” and not the impact of the macroeconomic forces I mentioned earlier.

For BMW, for instance, I’d be interested in a i5 from my 530e I purchased in late 2019. But that’s a hard sell at close to $90K for an AWD version. I’m holding onto my 530e for another 4 years, at least, as a result. I’m sure I’m not the only one.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2023, 03:47 PM   #14
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Choice is great, if manufacturers can get EVs to the people who want them at an agreed upon price that’s fantastic. Likewise for ICE.

What we don’t need are the corrupt degenerates in government telling us what we can buy with the money we have leftover after being taxed into oblivion.
Appreciate 6
DYoung32.00
cmyx6go15761.00
BigHunk269.50
      12-04-2023, 04:04 PM   #15
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
If the electric infrastructure cost is similar for your 32 unit condo building to the cost for my 180 parking space condo garage it would exceed $53,000. Just for the electric infrastructure to handle the actual installation of the charging stations. For our condo building the basic infrastructure cost before a single charger is installed exceeds $300,000.
Exactly, if they even would be able to install 32 chargers. The costs could be staggering to say the least. You have to upgrade the electrical infrastructure 1st, this means transformer(s) and line upgrade(s) and/or substation upgrades etc. Even if you just go with level 2 chargers.

After you get past the upgrades then comes piping conduit down to each charger. The town's fire inspector may end up getting involved, they do with stationery storage that is for sure.

Aside from all the electrical stuff you likely need ballards installed to protect the equipment. These charging stations and ballards take up space, look at the picture below do you have 6' clear in front of your parking space? I guarantee there is not space for 32 chargers or even 16 if you share or get doubles, and still have 32 parking spaces.

Finally after all the money is spent, the value of your condo will not have increased nearly as much as the money you will spend.

EVs are not for everyone and where they should work best, in major cities, there is no charging architecture and never will be.

Edit: Also insurance will get involved most likely. Just a fucking PITA. Not the place to install EV charging is what it comes down to. New construction with plenty of space? Sure, go for it. Retrofitting a small underground parking lot is a nightmare and horrifically expensive because of what you will have to upgrade as you are not going it up front with the new contructionw hen you already will be upgrading the lines/transformers for the new building.
Appreciate 1
      12-04-2023, 04:05 PM   #16
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.87]
Quote:
That would be a definite, HELL NO!
Appreciate 2
NickyC17484.50
      12-04-2023, 04:31 PM   #17
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Can we just take a second and unpack exactly what has happened in the last 5 years....gubments and media 'round the world basically gave a directive to automakers to produce EVs and to shift their entire product mix to electric. Nearly every global auto manufacturer went along with this and decided unilaterally, in lockstep, that this was the direction the market was going, WITHOUT any customer data that suggested the demand was there, AT ALL. They didn't just dip their toes in the market to make sure there was a business case, they canceled nearly everything associated with not only ICE engines, but even hybrids in some cases.

Now here we are, a few years in, and everyone is surprised when the masses aren't buying. Why would they? It turns out, global corporations are just as susceptible to being duped as your ordinary citizen watching the evening news.
Appreciate 3
      12-04-2023, 05:19 PM   #18
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep

There’s been a lot of mass “duping” since early 2020. If one hasn’t learned to question everything at this point, not sure what to say.
Appreciate 3
      12-04-2023, 05:57 PM   #19
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.87]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
There’s been a lot of mass “duping” since early 2020. If one hasn’t learned to question everything at this point, not sure what to say.
When I was in college just about every VW Beetle had a "Question Authority" bumper sticker on it. Where did we go wrong?
Appreciate 4
NickyC17484.50
ppointer743.00
BigHunk269.50
      12-04-2023, 06:05 PM   #20
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Addicted View Post
When I was in college just about every VW Beetle had a "Question Authority" bumper sticker on it. Where did we go wrong?
No kidding!
Appreciate 1
      12-04-2023, 06:14 PM   #21
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.87]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMthusiast View Post
Alright on to hydrogen!
Little cold fusion reactors?

Cold Fusion Cars Are Coming, But Not For a Long Time
If wishing could make things true, we’d all have our homes heated by low energy nuclear reactors. Likewise, our cars would come from the factory with a mini-reactor that would run for three or four years, at which point it would need to be replaced or recharged. It’s the Jetsons vision of the future but people are still toiling to find a path to this vision. The promise of a low-cost, safe, renewable energy source still intrigues researchers around the world.
https://innotechtoday.com/cold-fusion-cars/
Appreciate 1
      12-04-2023, 07:44 PM   #22
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]