BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-13-2024, 08:44 AM   #1
np191
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05

BMW X5 G05 transmission overheat

Hey,

Since I’ve tried to find some info online about the issue I am having, and nothing particular has came up, I’ve decided to start a topic, maybe someone has had similar problem and knows the cure.

So - BMW X5 G05 30d 2021 with milage of 200.000km gets transmission overheat while on highway going 160+ kph 30-40min. Message on the screen comes out - Transmission overheat, you can continue driving, power reduced to lower the temperature. What we could find in US forums, is that around this milage common issue is gearbox thermostat which is responsible for cooling down the transmission. Gearbox it self does not seem to have any mechanical errors, faulty shifts or etc, but when driving significant period higher speed, it catches the error. I bought this car brand new and for 3.5y i have driven with it 200+ kph in Germany for hours straight and never had any issues. Two months ago when milage coming close to 200k chain of problems started.

1. NOK sensor fault - we changed the sensor, problem solved.
2. Couple weeks later - intake flaps getting stuck, need replacement or cleaning - cleaned and solved.
3. Couple weeks later - transmission overheat - changed thermostat on the gearbox, changed gearbox oil and filter.

While driving in the country where are no long highways and higher speed limits, seemed that the issue was solved, but recently exactly the same issue came back.

Does anyone have an opinion/suggestions to this issue? As there does not seem any mechanical problems to the gearbox, seems unecesarry just blindly change the gearbox, which could also not solve the issue if something else is a cause.

Thank you in advance.
Appreciate 0