BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-15-2023, 07:19 PM   #1
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

50e switching itself from Electric to Electric Individual

Hi, So i've being enjoying the 50e now for a few days since I picked it up. Lots of short distances that mean i can drive entirely on electric.

However it seems randomly the car will switch from Electric mode to Electric Individual mode, and i've no idea why?

Since i've haven't messed with any of the Electric Individual settings, you dont feel any difference (e.g. say if the steering had being change to sport in Electric individual).

Anyone know why it does it? Maybe i should real the manual .... Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2023, 08:30 PM   #2
apw2607
Colonel
Rep

I think i found the reason. eDrive Zone was enabled to switch to electric automatically. Why it was switching to Electric individual automatically when the car was already in Electric drive mode suggests a bug.

But I'm sure that was the reason. I will test and report back.

I was in a low emission zone city.
Appreciate 1
aMIC31.00
      09-16-2023, 04:33 PM   #3
krypttic
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X50e with Executive P

I've been driving in fully electric too, but I think I'm going to switch to hybrid for a while to give the engine a chance to break in. Plus, from my understand, hybrid will prioritize the electric drive anyway until you need more power.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2023, 06:06 PM   #4
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by krypttic View Post
I've been driving in fully electric too, but I think I'm going to switch to hybrid for a while to give the engine a chance to break in. Plus, from my understand, hybrid will prioritize the electric drive anyway until you need more power.
because of Hybrid mode’s electric prioritization and depending on your route’s characteristics, you may find yourself driving completely under electric power thus not actually letting the engine break in.

if you really want the engine to break in for a certain number of miles, then drive in Sport mode. you still have to be mindful of certain settings, though. if you you change the Individual engine setting to Comfort, then it will drive under electric power if conditions allow.

that said, according to the 50e manual for break-in, it just states to drive 1200 miles with no recommendation of a specific drive mode
Appreciate 1
krypttic281.50
      09-16-2023, 07:33 PM   #5
krypttic
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X50e with Executive P

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
because of Hybrid mode’s electric prioritization and depending on your route’s characteristics, you may find yourself driving completely under electric power thus not actually letting the engine break in.

if you really want the engine to break in for a certain number of miles, then drive in Sport mode. you still have to be mindful of certain settings, though. if you you change the Individual engine setting to Comfort, then it will drive under electric power if conditions allow.

that said, according to the 50e manual for break-in, it just states to drive 1200 miles with no recommendation of a specific drive mode
Good points. Is there any reason for the "Electric" mode if hybrid prioritizes not using the ICE?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2023, 07:37 PM   #6
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by krypttic View Post
Good points. Is there any reason for the "Electric" mode if hybrid prioritizes not using the ICE?
yes, they’re designed for different driving conditions. generally, Electric is designed for urban or short commutes and errands. access to ICE power requires a kick down of the accelerator pedal. Hybrid is designed for anything really. access to ICE power is more readily (and smoothly) available
Appreciate 1
krypttic281.50
      10-19-2023, 06:08 PM   #7
apw2607
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
I think i found the reason. eDrive Zone was enabled to switch to electric automatically. Why it was switching to Electric individual automatically when the car was already in Electric drive mode suggests a bug.

But I'm sure that was the reason. I will test and report back.

I was in a low emission zone city.
Update: eDrive Zone enabled was definitely the reason for the car switching itself automatically to Electric individual mode. No more issues with it disabled.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2023, 08:34 PM   #8
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Or it could be an IDrive bug? like car will switch from Electric Individual to Hybrid at random start up, which is an known issue in 45e, and BMW hasn't been able to fixed
      10-19-2023, 08:36 PM   #9
apw2607
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelnoraa View Post
Or it could be an IDrive bug? like car will switch from Electric Individual to Hybrid at random start up, which is an known issue in 45e, and BMW hasn't been able to fixed
Right, but for me this was about when i was just driving along and then suddenly it would switch to Electric Individual on its own ... rather than on first start up. The point of edrive zone is based on location ... you've entered an area of low emissions, so it will try and force the car into electric individual mode.

On first startup, my car always defaults to hybrid.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2023, 12:04 AM   #10
aaaaaaaaaz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e (CB/Coffee)

lol weird bugs
Appreciate 0