BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-28-2024, 10:10 PM   #67
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i xDrive (2020)

Garage List
Old thread but I’m getting a kick out of the comments on resale.

I’m trying to decide if I am keeping my 2020 M550 or not. If not, I’ve been narrowing down options. X6 M50 (CPO) is one that’s still on the potential list. None to test around here.

I want to want an X5 M50 so badly, but sitting in an X5 doesn’t give me the feeling I want. It’s like there is too much head space. I have a feeling if I drove an M50 with DHP that I’d feel more excited about it. But none here to try out, right now.

The X6 has my eye. My wife has an X7, so I don’t care much about the less practical attributes of the X6 vs X5. I only need to haul golf clubs and do school drop off (7 year old in a booster and baby in a car seat).

I like the X6 looks. And I like that it’s a little lower and wider. I drove a 40i loaner once and it’s been a while but I remember it feeling pretty sporty.

I can’t bring myself to nix the X5 M50, so it’s still on the list. But I’m afraid I’ll regret it. They’re very popular and there are less X6’s around, especially M50’s.

Which brings me to my point… I’m definitely not seeing many X6 M50’s available for sale and they are definitely not any more depreciated than the X5’s, from what I can tell.

If anyone has any thoughts, I’m all ears. Appreciate the feedback on my earlier thread that was more about the X5. Would love to here from more X6 M50 owners. Especially that have previously had sedans. I love a lot about my M550. Enough that it could easily get replaced with a 2023 eventually, if I end up keeping the one I have. But the X6 is in my head.

RETIRED: 2018 540i Luxury Line (Dark Graphite/Canberra Beige)
Appreciate 1
spoodle172.50
      03-29-2024, 05:51 AM   #68
matowi
First Lieutenant
Poland
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 X5 M60i  [0.00]
If you have and plan to keep the X7 alongside the car that’ll replace your 550, my suggestion is: go with the X6. It’s definitely different and will cater to your daily needs

The only consideration is if you lease or buy upfront. With leasing, I’d have no second thoughts. With outright cash purchase, I’d firstly do some due diligence if there’s any downside to having an X6 vs X5 (more niche cars may cause more fuss or force a lower price upon resale)

Had: '15 F10 535d; '21 G11 740d
Appreciate 1
spoodle172.50
      03-29-2024, 06:48 AM   #69
poison
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 X6

Look, the only real different in cargo room is the height. If you transport clothes dryers for a living, the x5 box is going to be better than the x6 slant back. But who's doing that? The x6 trunk is massive, both wide and deep, and fits tons of stuff. My perspective may be skewed though: I had 2 teens and a wife and 2 dogs in a focus st for the last 5 years, and did 2k road trips with all of them. It was snug but fine. The x6 is cavernous, comparatively.
Appreciate 2
NGT25619.00
      03-29-2024, 09:19 AM   #70
Blu-Byou
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGT2 View Post
Old thread but I’m getting a kick out of the comments on resale.

I’m trying to decide if I am keeping my 2020 M550 or not. If not, I’ve been narrowing down options. X6 M50 (CPO) is one that’s still on the potential list. None to test around here.

I want to want an X5 M50 so badly, but sitting in an X5 doesn’t give me the feeling I want. It’s like there is too much head space. I have a feeling if I drove an M50 with DHP that I’d feel more excited about it. But none here to try out, right now.

The X6 has my eye. My wife has an X7, so I don’t care much about the less practical attributes of the X6 vs X5. I only need to haul golf clubs and do school drop off (7 year old in a booster and baby in a car seat).

I like the X6 looks. And I like that it’s a little lower and wider. I drove a 40i loaner once and it’s been a while but I remember it feeling pretty sporty.

I can’t bring myself to nix the X5 M50, so it’s still on the list. But I’m afraid I’ll regret it. They’re very popular and there are less X6’s around, especially M50’s.

Which brings me to my point… I’m definitely not seeing many X6 M50’s available for sale and they are definitely not any more depreciated than the X5’s, from what I can tell.

If anyone has any thoughts, I’m all ears. Appreciate the feedback on my earlier thread that was more about the X5. Would love to here from more X6 M50 owners. Especially that have previously had sedans. I love a lot about my M550. Enough that it could easily get replaced with a 2023 eventually, if I end up keeping the one I have. But the X6 is in my head.
lol, the "old thread" was the 1st thing I noticed as well!
I'm new here but come from another message board that is very very active and if you revived a 4 year old thread repsonding to the 1st post, you would hear from the masses!Its all fun in off-topic over there. I wonder what choice the OP made 4 years ago w/o reading through all the 3 pages of old comments?

Past that, I love my X6 coming from another cross-over vehicle Infinity FX45.
They truely are a crossover having sedan styling and allowing you to sit up higher without the "box" look that an SUV has. (no disrespect X5 owners)
I get alot of comments from people telling me they love the sporty styling it has! The wider looking stance it 'presents' to the eye is bad ass IMO and the back end really shows that off.

As far as the back seat not allowing a tall person to sit comfortable and their head touching the top, my one friend is 6'2 and he didn't have that problem. Someone taller, maybe so.

The reduced trunk space that people write about only comes into play vertically. It has the same footprint as the X5. So if your stacking things vertically all they way up against the trunk deck, that does come into play. That said, I can fit 3 people with 3 sets of clubs, shoes and soft coolers for a trip to the links easily if you fold down one of the seat backs.

Now I see some saying that during resale, it draws a smaller number because its niche. I can argue that while being niche and are produced in smaller numbers, that doesnt mean they resell for less. In fact, people looking for the cross-over style are out there. Having less on the market can drive the value higher becuase of supply and demand.

Enjoy your choice, I wouldn't hesistate buying another 6

Be decisive, right or wrong.
The road of life is paved with flat squirrels who couldn’t make a decision

Last edited by Blu-Byou; 03-29-2024 at 09:34 AM..
Appreciate 2
NGT25619.00
      03-29-2024, 09:23 AM   #71
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
The X6 looks better than the x5. It's form over function but we are allowed to choose It for that reason.
Appreciate 2
NGT25619.00
      04-01-2024, 02:17 PM   #72
BMW and me
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X6

Have X6 and never regret not buying X5 ,if boot space is a factor the Ford Transit is an option.
Appreciate 0