BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-26-2019, 11:45 AM   #1
BMW lifer
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 40i 2019

Widgets - worth it?

Now my wait is over, I've spent time getting to know my X5 40i. While I love the HUGE centre display for navigation, I thought I'd configure some of the widgets to take up the RH side of the screen.

What a poor choice of widgets! Most are useless or redundant (eg the radio channel displays at the top of the display, so why do I want to devote 25% of my screen to showing it) In fact I've not found any which is worth the screen space.

The one function I would like (in the main instrument display, not the centre display) is a permanet view of the Odometer (total miles driven).

Since BMW don't seem to have a formal way to gather "customer requirements", why don't we start to list what extra widgets/functions we want in a future iDrive release?

I'm sure you have plenty of ideas - do post them below
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 09:48 AM   #2
MotoWPK
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 128i vert, '14 X5 40i

This post relates to something I'm not clear on after a few days of X5 ownership.

I understand that what is displayed on the control display and in the tachometer area of the instrument cluster are widgets. As delivered, my control display has one page with three widgets: map, current music info and weather.

From reading the manual I see how additional pages can be added or deleted from the control display and widgets added or deleted.

What's not clear to me is if I can create a widget or modify an existing widget. For example; can I create widget to display selected trip information?

The OP seems to imply one cannot create or modifying widgets - is this correct?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 10:44 AM   #3
BMW_Cyprus
Private
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: Looking forward to G05 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoWPK View Post
This post relates to something I'm not clear on after a few days of X5 ownership.

I understand that what is displayed on the control display and in the tachometer area of the instrument cluster are widgets. As delivered, my control display has one page with three widgets: map, current music info and weather.

From reading the manual I see how additional pages can be added or deleted from the control display and widgets added or deleted.

What's not clear to me is if I can create a widget or modify an existing widget. For example; can I create widget to display selected trip information?

Widgets being mini apps by themselves, you cannot "create" them. Instead you can use a widget that is available in the list when you edit an existing page or add new page..
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 07:10 AM   #4
GTF
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i, 2023 X1

Quote:

Also, by selecting (touching) an existing widget, it expands size and information. For example, a single day weather display on 1/4 page expands to full page long range forecast simply by touching the widget.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 08:24 AM   #5
MotoWPK
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 128i vert, '14 X5 40i

Thanks for the feedback. Good info!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 12:21 PM   #6
Ramakay
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: CX-7 => X5

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. Good info!
I can't figure out the trip computer as a split screen like idrive 6
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 02:07 PM   #7
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramakay View Post
I can't figure out the trip computer as a split screen like idrive 6
There is no more iDrive 6 type of split screen.

In iDrive 7, the navigation map has its own split screen function, but can only display map related info.

Otherwise, you have to use the Widgets on the home screen to display the trip data to simulate the iDrive 6 split screen function. You can configure the 2 widgets side-by-side (1+1), or 1+2/2+1 or 2+2 widgets. Alternative is to display the trip data in the instrument panel.
Appreciate 1
      06-06-2019, 06:44 PM   #8
kleo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

I like the traffic info widget, when using navigation it will show real a time traffic condition preview in your entire route.
Appreciate 0