BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-10-2020, 11:42 AM   #67
lakefront
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Two old Bimmers

I don't get this....if most white Americans are racist, how did Obama get elected...twice? Were these white folks voting for Obama's white half maybe? Something that NEVER gets brought up or dismissed when it is, is that Barack Obama was exactly as white as he was black. First biracial president, we still haven't had a black president. Don't think I ever heard Barry say that though...
      01-10-2020, 11:47 AM   #68
floridaorange
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post
IMO, people weren't avoiding the possibility that some don't like Obama due to racism. The problem is that contributes nothing to a discussion and I think is sort of a taken for granted that there's always some shitheads floating around, but they're a minority so let's discuss things of substance like the adults we are.

It'd be like hyperfocusing on the fact that 50 KKK members support Trump and rather than looking at who else supports him and why, just saying "welp, I've seen enough." You need to look deeper if you want to have any kind of intelligent discussion. Looking at just racists is some extremely shallow thinking.

For me, I liked Obama well enough I suppose but my biggest issue was the way everyone acted like he could do no wrong. They were so desperately hopeful for him that they turned a blind eye to anything negative he said or did. Nobody likes someone who acts like their shit don't stink, regardless of whether it's Obama or Trump.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post
IMO, people weren't avoiding the possibility that some don't like Obama due to racism. The problem is that contributes nothing to a discussion and I think is sort of a taken for granted that there's always some shitheads floating around, but they're a minority so let's discuss things of substance like the adults we are.

It'd be like hyperfocusing on the fact that 50 KKK members support Trump and rather than looking at who else supports him and why, just saying "welp, I've seen enough." You need to look deeper if you want to have any kind of intelligent discussion. Looking at just racists is some extremely shallow thinking.

For me, I liked Obama well enough I suppose but my biggest issue was the way everyone acted like he could do no wrong. They were so desperately hopeful for him that they turned a blind eye to anything negative he said or did. Nobody likes someone who acts like their shit don't stink, regardless of whether it's Obama or Trump.
Ya I hear ya - I think he was trying to be an example to so many who don't have a male figure they can look up to - or something like that.....I think he understood the complexity of the leadership opportunity he could provide.

Trumps sort of the first president in a while that's not playing up the aspirational figure the presidency usually has associated with it.
      01-10-2020, 12:09 PM   #69
NorCalAthlete
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
Ya I hear ya - I think he was trying to be an example to so many who don't have a male figure they can look up to - or something like that.....I think he understood the complexity of the leadership opportunity he could provide.

Trumps sort of the first president in a while that's not playing up the aspirational figure the presidency usually has associated with it.
Agreed, and to be honest thatís one of the things I liked about Obama. Maybe put it this way - I liked him more than I liked the people who supported him.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 12:18 PM   #70
floridaorange
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Yes, same.
      01-10-2020, 12:26 PM   #71
Yugo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Disliked? He couldn't do no wrong. People loved him.
Appreciate 0