BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-09-2020, 01:57 PM   #23
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by randybobandy View Post
Thanks for the info. that's actually a good guide to keep handy. I was not holding my breathe on it. I guess they threw the USB-C in up front to provide a speedy transfer? I am still trying to find an application outside of charging. I know we can't save our profiles to a USB, which would be helpful given the connecteddrive issues. Other than charging or transfering music the HDD, am I missing something?
USB C is an interface connection standard. It has nothing to do with the speed of the port. It's just another way of connecting a USB device. The USB C ports are only USB 2.0 or less as well. The following excerpt is from page 16 of the USB branding document.

"USB 3.2 is not USB Type-CŪ, USB Standard-A, Micro-USB, or any other USB cable or connector."
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 04:28 PM   #24
tellch00
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TDI Touareg, 997 Turbo

For those that transferred your itunes library to a USB stick, do you have to do any conversion to the songs? I believe itunes is AAC. do i have to convert everything to MP3 for it to work?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 05:32 AM   #25
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Hmm. I guess I live in a land of unicorns and rainbows. I thought the whole point of USB Type C was faster transfer speeds? I know they didn’t go with fast charging, but seems like they screwed the pooch if the data transfer speed isn’t quicker.

Edit: Isn’t at USB-C at least 3.1? I really wish there was more technical specs in the owner’s manual. I scoured the tech documents, and they don’t go into any depth either. I’m sticking to wireless everything!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 06:55 AM   #26
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by randybobandy View Post
Hmm. I guess I live in a land of unicorns and rainbows. I thought the whole point of USB Type C was faster transfer speeds? I know they didn't go with fast charging, but seems like they screwed the pooch if the data transfer speed isn't quicker.

Edit: Isn't at USB-C at least 3.1? I really wish there was more technical specs in the owner's manual. I scoured the tech documents, and they don't go into any depth either. I'm sticking to wireless everything!
As others have mentioned, USB Type-C isn't the same thing as USB 3.1. USB Type-C is just a connector shape, and the underlying technology could just be USB 2.0 or USB 3.0.

The other point of transitioning to Type-C connectors is for more compact ports (1/3 of the size of old Type-A connector) and reversible connections. Type-C also supports a variety of different protocols which can output HDMI, DisplayPort, VGA, and audio.

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 05:19 PM   #27
Timmer-Bimmer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Garage List
2020 BMW X5  [0.00]
I just hooked up my iPod Classic to the USB port on the center console, and it appears to be working fine, although I will further test it on my way home from this meeting. It even shows up in the heads up display as a choice.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 06:33 PM   #28
tellch00
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TDI Touareg, 997 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer-Bimmer View Post
I just hooked up my iPod Classic to the USB port on the center console, and it appears to be working fine, although I will further test it on my way home from this meeting. It even shows up in the heads up display as a choice.
ipod classic with the 30 pin connection? what adapter cable did you use?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 08:33 PM   #29
Timmer-Bimmer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Garage List
2020 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tellch00 View Post
ipod classic with the 30 pin connection? what adapter cable did you use?
This iPod came with as 30 pin cable. The 30-pin in fits in the iPod. The other end is a standard USB2 connector, which plugs into a charger (or into the BMW front center console - between the cup holders.). It would be handier if there was a UBB2 port in the storage area between the front seats.
Appreciate 0