02-15-2020, 06:10 PM   #45
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post
Hopefully you can get out into the Hill Country and let her stretch her legs. Driving any exotic in an urban area is like being on a date with a stripper wearing a haz-mat suit.
I plan to get her out in the hills, and my company Chairman has offered to hire out COTA for a day when his Porsche Taycan arrives so we can have a bit of fun.
Appreciate 1
      02-15-2020, 06:13 PM   #46
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
One of my best buds owns a Superleggera (coolest name EVER for a car.) and a Diablo VT. He's done a few hundred laps with Balboni as a couple of different tracks. Says the man is a driving god.
I know someone who took delivery of a Countach at the plant, and was given an introductory "flog-along" with Balboni at the wheel. He said not only did he never use hand-over-hand on the steering wheel, but he never touched more than the bottom 1/3 of the wheel at any point. He grabbed it at 6-o'clock with one hand and flicked it towards the apex to load the suspension up, and steered the rest of the way through the turn with his right foot. That's how you drive when somebody else is buying the tires.
MKSixer34171.50
      02-15-2020, 07:43 PM   #47
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Not really true (the full time job part; they are emotionally rewarding even just to look at). Webers get a bad rap, kind of like those old mechanical FI units on the Alfas, because they are so easy to mess up or set wrong (and they both need 'Italian tune ups' regularly to stay in good working order). Once you set them properly they are as stable as any Holley ever was. Properly is the key phrase here, because you can do it wrong and chase yourself around in circles forever. At least that was my experience on a 6 cylinder (240z). If you take the time/hassle to make choke cables (or grow a third hand) they even start well in cold weather.

And thanks for pics of a beautiful car. One of the true classics.
Mine got a lot easier to set-up and ran a lot better once I got the throttle shaft bores re-bushed. A couple of them were sloppy - not to the point of binding, but enough to be letting a bunch of air in. When you're setting them up, a little vacuum leak has a big effect and will make it tough to get your set-up balanced dead-on. Especially if it's uneven.

Once you get it right, there's no downdraught intake system that gives as good a throttle response over as wide an RPM range.
Maynard3804.50
      02-15-2020, 09:27 PM   #48
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post
I know someone who took delivery of a Countach at the plant, and was given an introductory "flog-along" with Balboni at the wheel. He said not only did he never use hand-over-hand on the steering wheel, but he never touched more than the bottom 1/3 of the wheel at any point. He grabbed it at 6-o'clock with one hand and flicked it towards the apex to load the suspension up, and steered the rest of the way through the turn with his right foot. That's how you drive when somebody else is buying the tires.
Exactly.

During a 2 year period when I was tracking quite a bit I spent about $25K-$27K on tires.
Pirelli PZero Corsa System is my poison of choice...
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 09:27 PM   #49
AlexAamour
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
Exactly.

During a 2 year period when I was tracking quite a bit I spent about $25K-$27K on tires.
Pirelli PZero Corsa System is my poison of choice...
You have been tracking quiet a lot
Appreciate 0