BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-21-2020, 08:50 AM   #89
maczrool
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M50i Carbon Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
So all the way to the left and you can still hear the volume adjust around 35-40mph? That's when I typically hear mine kick in. That's impressive.
Yes I hear it and really want to turn it down but resist doing so.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 02:00 AM   #90
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by randybobandy View Post
Thanks for the info guys. Now wouldn't it be nice to have the ability to save a couple EQ settings? Let's say 3 that are able to be pulled up relatively quickly? I don't know about you guys, but great music with near perfect sound keeps me sane during drives. Gotta let the music flow through your veins!

I'll keep messing around, but this definitely helps getting to that song sweet spot!
this is a fantastic idea honestly. i would be very happy if the iDrive engineers would allow us to set the eight hotkeys to a specific eq preset. spending 4 grand on a sound system without this flexibility seems like it wasn't well thought out. at least the car sounds good
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2020, 07:54 AM   #91
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereef510 View Post
this is a fantastic idea honestly. i would be very happy if the iDrive engineers would allow us to set the eight hotkeys to a specific eq preset. spending 4 grand on a sound system without this flexibility seems like it wasn't well thought out. at least the car sounds good
I might be wrong, but didn't some BMW's allow you to set 2 shortcuts per button? I thought my last one did, but I might be thinking of having 2 profiles to do a fast change. IDRIVE 6 seemed a little easier, but I love the new ID7. More flexibility would be nice! Maybe they will read this and change it?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 07:56 PM   #92
floridaman100
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 xDrive40I

Does anyone know the exact specs of the HK sound system in the 2020 X5. BMW website shows the following.

Harman Kardon® surround sound system with 360-watts. This 12-speaker sound system includes 5 tweeters (2 tweeters with "Harman Kardon" designation in the mirror triangles), 5 midrange speakers and 2 central bass speakers located under the front seats. This multi-channel system makes the car's cabin a colorful sound experience.

HK website shows the following.

BMW X5

The sense of space is enhanced not only by the horizontal lines and richly contrasting surfaces in the interior of the BMW X5; the Harman Kardon premium Logic 7® surround-sound system also delivers an impressively spatial sound. 16 perfectly placed high-performance speakers create generous and convincing musical landscapes. Huge power, delicate details - the 464 watts amplifier with DSP technology is the architect of a luxurious listening lounge.

More info on bmwusa.com

HIGHLIGHTS

SPEAKERS
464 WATTS
AMPLIFIER POWER
LOGIC 7® SURROUND SOUND
TECHNOLOGY
SYSTEM OVERVIEW

1 7 × 26 mm dome tweeters in the dashboard, front, side and rear
2 2 × 217 mm woofers (central bass) below the front seats
3 7 × 100 mm midrange speakers in the front, side and rear
4 Harman Kardon DSP amplifier with a total output of 464 watts

Conflicting information here.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 06:00 AM   #93
perikifi
Private First Class
Finland
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 45e M Sport

The information on Harman Kardon's site is correct: 464 W total, 16 speakers.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 04:48 PM   #94
dyzfnctional
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

does anyone know if you can hear differences listening to MP# vs. FLAC files on Hifi system? I regret not upgrading to the HK system...
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 05:17 PM   #95
sinbad4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Garage List
BavSound upgrade group buy opportunity:
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1706130
      05-23-2020, 07:43 AM   #96
LionelPoilane
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

I think your best bet to determine if the extra money for a sound system is worth it would be to go to the dealer and sit in two cars with and without upgraded stereo. Crank up the music and listen through a sound or two. If you choose not to upgrade your stereo when you buy the car just know later down the road it can become difficult if you end up wanting higher end audio.

Last edited by LionelPoilane; 05-24-2020 at 05:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 09:14 AM   #97
tvasica
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 M50D

Bower willins
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 10:06 AM   #98
Heavyd
Major
Rep

What does BW cost in the US? We pay 5800 euros for it (+/- 6300 USD). Even the BMW sales guy said that's waste of money go for HK. Does it include a 90 man orchestra in the back or something?
A HK cost 1300 euros. For my needs HK is perfect.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 10:39 AM   #99
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyd View Post
What does BW cost in the US? We pay 5800 euros for it (+/- 6300 USD). Even the BMW sales guy said that's waste of money go for HK. Does it include a 90 man orchestra in the back or something?
A HK cost 1300 euros. For my needs HK is perfect.
Here is the US MSRP.. ..

The high end audio business has thrived for decades (B&O, Mcintosh Labs, etc), there are plenty of people who like the discernible differences heard by these brands, enough to keep them in business. Why not also have high end in your car, I mean if you like it and can appreciate it, you like it everywhere. Apparently your BMW sales guy is not one who appreciates it.

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 10:45 AM   #100
Heavyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
Here is the US MSRP.. ..

The high end audio business has thrived for decades (B&O, Mcintosh Labs, etc), there are plenty of people who like the discernible differences heard by these brands, enough to keep them in business. Why not also have high end in your car, I mean if you like it and can appreciate it, you like it everywhere. Apparently your BMW sales guy is not one who appreciates it.

He will probably be not an audiophile, me neither

4200 USD or 3800 euros is a completely different price range than 5800 euros for the same thing. 2000 euros extra in europe for BW is just ridiculous. I think that will also be the reason HK sells much more than BW over here.
Appreciate 2
M-ab13.50
volodp193.50
      05-23-2020, 10:53 AM   #101
Heavyd
Major
Rep

The starting price for an X5 40i is in Belgium 71150 euros (77600 USD).
On the US website they start on 61200 USD (56200 euros).
15000 euros price difference for the same naked X5. As you add options the difference will only become greater. The BW alone is already 2000 euros
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 11:19 AM   #102
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The starting price for an X5 40i is in Belgium 71150 euros (77600 USD).
On the US website they start on 61200 USD (56200 euros).
15000 euros price difference for the same naked X5. As you add options the difference will only become greater. The BW alone is already 2000 euros
Been that way since I can remember...I recall many trips to different European countries, getting picked up by my company's sales people in BMW's, Mercedes, etc and when the conversation turned to cars, I would learn that in Europe, people pay quite a bit more and get less for that money, than in the US.
Going back to the 90's when I first started noticing the difference, I'd see a cloth interior brand new 5 series in Europe, no or very little options and it sold for more than I paid for my nearly fully optioned top leather 5 series here in the US. I would always come back with a renewed appreciation for what I thought was an over priced car
Yes, I know Europe dictates a higher level of safety with brakes, rotors, etc and most of the cars had diesel engines but that didn't make up for the difference and back then, the models I'm referring to where built in Europe for Europe consumption, those had to be shipped to the US. Volume sales does account for something.
So lets say the B&W gear costs the same to make and install no matter where the car is sold....that only leaves it to Marketing to maximize profits in different countries.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 12:39 PM   #103
Heavyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
Been that way since I can remember...I recall many trips to different European countries, getting picked up by my company's sales people in BMW's, Mercedes, etc and when the conversation turned to cars, I would learn that in Europe, people pay quite a bit more and get less for that money, than in the US.
Going back to the 90's when I first started noticing the difference, I'd see a cloth interior brand new 5 series in Europe, no or very little options and it sold for more than I paid for my nearly fully optioned top leather 5 series here in the US. I would always come back with a renewed appreciation for what I thought was an over priced car
Yes, I know Europe dictates a higher level of safety with brakes, rotors, etc and most of the cars had diesel engines but that didn't make up for the difference and back then, the models I'm referring to where built in Europe for Europe consumption, those had to be shipped to the US. Volume sales does account for something.
So lets say the B&W gear costs the same to make and install no matter where the car is sold....that only leaves it to Marketing to maximize profits in different countries.
That's certainly true and we have to pay +50% income tax and a load of other BS taxes

On the other hand they will sell much less of BW than in the USA. If the BW would cost 3000 I could have said yes give me the BW. But it costs almost 6000 so I think no friggin way give me the HK. And that's also with all other options.

A friend of mine bought real estate in Florida as an investment and to rent out. A house in excellent condition with x sleeping rooms, x bath rooms, swimming pool for a price where you can buy house, tear it down and build it up and still have no swimming pool over here

Also if I watch Fast 'n Loud, Kindig Custom, Fantomworks, ... on National Geographic or Discovery channel and see what they can do and for what price, we can only dream about it.
But not only cars, I think most goods are cheaper in the US.
Appreciate 1
volodp193.50
      05-23-2020, 03:26 PM   #104
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's certainly true and we have to pay +50% income tax and a load of other BS taxes

On the other hand they will sell much less of BW than in the USA. If the BW would cost 3000 I could have said yes give me the BW. But it costs almost 6000 so I think no friggin way give me the HK. And that's also with all other options.

A friend of mine bought real estate in Florida as an investment and to rent out. A house in excellent condition with x sleeping rooms, x bath rooms, swimming pool for a price where you can buy house, tear it down and build it up and still have no swimming pool over here

Also if I watch Fast 'n Loud, Kindig Custom, Fantomworks, ... on National Geographic or Discovery channel and see what they can do and for what price, we can only dream about it.
But not only cars, I think most goods are cheaper in the US.
Yeah, its a market size thing....think of it as "quantity" discount I was thinking of moving to Germany a number of years ago so my German friend happened to be at my house here in NY and we sat down with a calculator to compare notes. Like you, he first said at the end of a year, his taxes were nearly 50% and I just looked at him like he was talking crazy. After we compared notes we found that our "all inclusive" year end costs were nearly the same. Germany categorizes things differently than the US but we all have just about the same things we have to pay for. We were both surprised at the results. I'm not talking about the cost of things like cars, houses, food, clothing, etc, but we did include the taxes on those items. We considered all things taxable, health insurance, utilities (water, gas, electric, sewage, etc), car registration, car inspection, car insurance, house/property insurance, land and school tax, income tax, pension, etc.
Overall, if I were to live there it would cost me more to live in the same manner to which I do here, not significantly more, but more due to housing mostly and any disposable income luxury item, like a BMW, Mercedes, etc. However, the one thing that is a bit hard to put into dollars and cents is the quality of living. My wife and I have been traveling to Europe since the wall came down and have always thought Europe had a higher life quality than the US. That's gotta be worth something if its of value to you.
Appreciate 1
volodp193.50
      05-27-2020, 11:40 AM   #105
GatorX5
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 sdrive 40i

I consider myself an audiophile. Have about 50k invested in my two channel home stereo. To me, super premium audio systems upgrades a huge waste of money. Sure the B&W might sound night and day difference while sitting stationary in a quite parking lot. However, that difference will be greatly minimized once you are bombarded by ambient noise going down the road. An automobile is just an atrocious acoustical environment. But they do look cool
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 12:21 PM   #106
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorX5 View Post
I consider myself an audiophile. Have about 50k invested in my two channel home stereo. To me, super premium audio systems upgrades a huge waste of money. Sure the B&W might sound night and day difference while sitting stationary in a quite parking lot. However, that difference will be greatly minimized once you are bombarded by ambient noise going down the road. An automobile is just an atrocious acoustical environment. But they do look cool
I'm not a hardcore audiophile, but I do have a very nice setup at home and I can appreciate the differences. When I was looking at the B&W upgrade, for me it was 75% aesthetics and 25% performance. I test drove a 50i with the HK sound, and that sounded very good too. I would have been happy with the HK with the type of listening I do in my car. What pushed me over was just the overall looks of the B&W upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 03:35 PM   #107
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
+1
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 10:55 AM   #108
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

Hi All - picked up an X5 on Thursday (yay, love it), but was dreading not having HK like I do in my 540. I made the mistake once when going from an E90 w/ HK to an F30 without. So far I am pleasantly surprised with the stock hifi, might do bav speakers but I haven’t been disappointed so far.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 01:36 PM   #109
Hieupham
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bills Oil Company View Post
Does anyone know the major differences? The CA I talked to said the standard system is made by Harmon Kardon, but without the name plates and the only major difference is that the upgraded system has premium Logic 7 surround-sound. I find this hard to believe. Just trying to understand the spec differences.

Edit: Title should say standard "hifi"
Quote:
Does anyone know the major differences? The CA I talked to said the standard system is made by Harmon Kardon, but without the name plates and the only major difference is that the upgraded system has premium Logic 7 surround-sound. I find this hard to believe. Just trying to understand the spec differences.

Hi friend, if you are not audiophile and just a normal guy who loves to listen to music, HK is fine, especially for mp3 playing POP, EDM...
although the std HIFI system is just fine as well.
You only need B&W if you are like pro and love to listen to music very very much and the source media files shall be loseless etc, trully sounds great for like opera and high end music.
Else, HK is great
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 01:39 PM   #110
Hieupham
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
Quote:
+1
Quote:

This one is +1
You dont need the stereo system, they charge you like ultra premium for customers who just want everything best possible from the car maker.
Yeah but the look itself is already a wow effect.

I have listened mp3 files 320k on HK and BW, just pop and edm songs, not huge difference. For BW you shall have great source files. For ordinary ppl hifi and HK will do fine, especially for the price they charge you for HK (and the a lil better look) imho is worth it
Appreciate 0