BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-21-2020, 09:26 AM   #1
plutnicki
Private First Class
19
Rep
123
Posts

Drives: 2020 X6 M50 & 2019 X3 M40i
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Hampshire

iTrader: (0)

Stumped - Car is telling me where to go

Ok, now I'm stumped.

Weekday mornings, when I leave for work, my X6 gives me a notification and wants to navigate me to my work address. And, in the afternoon, it pops up a notification to navigate home. Sometimes, when I'm at home, it asks me to navigate home, even though I'm there, just based on the time.

I have, literally, never asked for the car to navigate to either place.

It's a small thing, but I'm annoyed that I can't figure out how to turn it off. I've turned off "learn my routines" or whatever it's called in the settings for notifications. I don't see any place in the connected app to enable or disable that feature. I just dismiss the notification, but I'd like to turn it off altogether. Can't find it in the manual either, if it's in there I'm searching for the wrong thing.

Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 09:47 AM   #2
TurtleBoy
Colonel
TurtleBoy's Avatar
1036
Rep
2,530
Posts

Drives: 2019 X5 40i
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

That is an automatic feature of iDrive7 and the connected app. It learns frequent routes and displays the option of using navigation to get there. I'm pretty sure there was a thread discussing how to turn that off but didn't;t pursue it since I just ignore those messages.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 10:34 AM   #3
BBDDVV
Enlisted Member
Belgium
9
Rep
30
Posts

Drives: F15 3.0D
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

In the connected app -> ... (more) -> Settings -> Auto Start Navigation: set to Off? I also disallowed calendar, contacts and notifications, and have Location set to 'While using'. I prefer the build-in iOS functionality for this...
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 11:12 AM   #4
Paladin1
Captain
Paladin1's Avatar
United_States
311
Rep
696
Posts

Drives: 2020 X5 40i M Sport, Arctic Gr
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Midwest

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2020 X5 M Sport  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBDDVV View Post
In the connected app -> ... (more) -> Settings -> Auto Start Navigation: set to Off? I also disallowed calendar, contacts and notifications, and have Location set to 'While using'. I prefer the build-in iOS functionality for this...
No such setting in Android, that I could find.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 11:19 AM   #5
TurtleBoy
Colonel
TurtleBoy's Avatar
1036
Rep
2,530
Posts

Drives: 2019 X5 40i
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
No such setting in Android, that I could find.
Doesn't exist in the iOS app either. Must just be available in the European app.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 03:01 PM   #6
BBDDVV
Enlisted Member
Belgium
9
Rep
30
Posts

Drives: F15 3.0D
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
No such setting in Android, that I could find.
Doesn't exist in the iOS app either. Must just be available in the European app.
Oh, wasn't aware of the differences either...
This is what it looks like for me:
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 03:29 PM   #7
TurtleBoy
Colonel
TurtleBoy's Avatar
1036
Rep
2,530
Posts

Drives: 2019 X5 40i
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBDDVV View Post
Oh, wasn't aware of the differences either...
This is what it looks like for me:
Here is what ours looks like:
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 1
BBDDVV9.00

      02-22-2020, 08:08 AM   #8
randybobandy
Captain
randybobandy's Avatar
228
Rep
690
Posts

Drives: 2019 BMW X5
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Is there a way to keep your calendar enabled without the constant suggestion? Whenever I go from home to the gym and back to home...vehicle always wants to suggest these locations. If you have OCD like me, you hate that "1" notification icon on the main screen.
Appreciate 1
BBDDVV9.00

      02-22-2020, 08:11 AM   #9
TurtleBoy
Colonel
TurtleBoy's Avatar
1036
Rep
2,530
Posts

Drives: 2019 X5 40i
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by randybobandy View Post
Is there a way to keep your calendar enabled without the constant suggestion? Whenever I go from home to the gym and back to home...vehicle always wants to suggest these locations. If you have OCD like me, you hate that "1" notification icon on the main screen.
It probably is not the calendar doing those suggestions but rather the function we have been discussing here. iDrive and the app learn frequent routes and suggests them. When I have some time I will see if I can find the previous thread where this was discussed since it may have had a solution for turning that off.
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2020, 09:21 AM   #10
Dagwag77
Private
Dagwag77's Avatar
United_States
31
Rep
69
Posts

Drives: 2020 BMW X5 M50i
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: NY

iTrader: (2)

I noticed this behavior as well and wanted to turn it off... it was also barraging me with missed call notifications and then initiating call backs based upon misread gesture controls 🤦

Navigation-- iDrive Automatic Message popup to navigate to office address in morning https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1639315
Appreciate 1
TurtleBoy1036.00

      02-22-2020, 10:15 AM   #11
randybobandy
Captain
randybobandy's Avatar
228
Rep
690
Posts

Drives: 2019 BMW X5
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Dagwag77 I randomly get the missed call notification on iDrive. I can't really describe the scenario, but when I am connected via CarPlay and let a call go to VM...iDrive will randomly send a barrage of notifications. It's hit or miss as to when it actually occurs though. I hear you on the call backs...some confirmation prompt would be nice!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 10:37 AM   #12
Dagwag77
Private
Dagwag77's Avatar
United_States
31
Rep
69
Posts

Drives: 2020 BMW X5 M50i
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: NY

iTrader: (2)

randybobandy I've turned off CarPlay and just use iDrive - just a multitude of issues and everything *seems* to work better just using the phone through iDrive... It also seemed to fix the 15+ missed call notifications all coming through at once phenomenon
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 11:34 AM   #13
randybobandy
Captain
randybobandy's Avatar
228
Rep
690
Posts

Drives: 2019 BMW X5
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagwag77 View Post
randybobandy I've turned off CarPlay and just use iDrive - just a multitude of issues and everything *seems* to work better just using the phone through iDrive... It also seemed to fix the 15+ missed call notifications all coming through at once phenomenon
How do you handle messages? I could never get iDrive to reply or messages or even read them out. Thatís my only gripe, and keeping me on CarPlay.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 01:27 PM   #14
Timmer-Bimmer
Private
United_States
27
Rep
50
Posts

Drives: BMW X5
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Charlotte NC

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2020 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by plutnicki View Post
Ok, now I'm stumped.

Weekday mornings, when I leave for work, my X6 gives me a notification and wants to navigate me to my work address. And, in the afternoon, it pops up a notification to navigate home. Sometimes, when I'm at home, it asks me to navigate home, even though I'm there, just based on the time.

I have, literally, never asked for the car to navigate to either place.

It's a small thing, but I'm annoyed that I can't figure out how to turn it off. I've turned off "learn my routines" or whatever it's called in the settings for notifications. I don't see any place in the connected app to enable or disable that feature. I just dismiss the notification, but I'd like to turn it off altogether. Can't find it in the manual either, if it's in there I'm searching for the wrong thing.

Any ideas?
Could it be iOS Siri Suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 02:43 AM   #15
G Whizz UK
Private
12
Rep
67
Posts

Drives: G05 30dMSport
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: London. Ish

iTrader: (0)

Spooky. I just had this for the first time this weekend. It interrupted my navigation to suggest my old home location. Very odd.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 04:30 AM   #16
randybobandy
Captain
randybobandy's Avatar
228
Rep
690
Posts

Drives: 2019 BMW X5
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer-Bimmer View Post
Could it be iOS Siri Suggestions?
Thatís what I thought, but Siri doesnít send notifications for these small travels. I think itís just the vehicle learning your patterns. Iím going to see if thereís a way to disable those notifications, since I rarely listen to the suggested destinations. I would rather manually enter them.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:30 AM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST