Timmer-Bimmer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Garage List
2020 BMW X5  [0.00]
Car alarm went off while driving

I was driving my 2020 X5 to a tennis match this morning. After turning at a light, an alarm went off. It was a high-pitched beep-beep that would continue about 20 seconds then pause for a few seconds, and then start up again. The mirror where the garage door openers are was blinking red, but there was nothing else on the car dash or vehicle status to indicate that anything was wrong. Other drivers could definitely hear the alarm. My light may have been flashing, but I could not tell from within the car. At a stoplight, I tried putting the car in park and turning it off. Then I started it up again. It started, no problem, but so did the alarm. I tried locking and unlocking the car. No help.

At this point, I hit the SOS button and called BMW. They routed me to a genius. He asked if I had modified the car at all or attached a device to the car. I said no. He recommended that I go straight to a dealer and get it checked out.

So I was headed to the dealer. I remember someone on this forum who could not get into their car finally tried locking the car with the key fob, so I tried that. I pulled the keys out of my pocket. Immediately the alarm stopped. Because I had tennis shorts on, I had my wallet, keys, and iPhone all in the same pocket. Evidently, this caused the car to think that it was being driven with no key in the car. Pulling the key out solved the problem.

I post this in case it could help someone else.
Appreciate 2
thereef5101163.00
MystroX56244.50
      02-24-2020, 11:44 AM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer-Bimmer View Post
I was driving my 2020 X5 to a tennis match this morning. After turning at a light, an alarm went off... Because I had tennis shorts on, I had my wallet, keys, and iPhone all in the same pocket. Evidently, this caused the car to think that it was being driven with no key in the car. Pulling the key out solved the problem.
Perhaps with all the things you had stuffed into one pocket...maybe a button on the remote fob was being pressed and caused the alarm to go off....and not so much the car thought it was being driven without a key. Once the engine is running...as long as you don't attempt to lock the vehicle with the remote fob outside of the car...it will run with no problem until you run out of gas or shut the car off using the START/STOP button.

Does the G05 remote fob have an alarm button (like the F series BMWs)? If it does, if you press and hold the alarm button...the alarm goes off (under certain circumstances).
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 02-24-2020 at 11:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 11:50 AM   #3
Timmer-Bimmer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Garage List
2020 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Perhaps with all the things you had stuffed into one pocket...maybe a button on the remote fob was being pressed and caused the alarm to go off....and not so much the car thought it was being driven without a key. Once the engine is running...as long as you don't attempt to lock the vehicle with the remote fob outside of the car...it will run with no problem until you run out of gas or shut the car off using the START/STOP button.

Does the G05 remote fob have an alarm button (like the F series BMWs)? If it does, if you press and hold the alarm button...the alarm goes off (under certain circumstances).
Yes. That is a possibility. I am not anxious to test it, but there is a panic button on the key.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 12:01 PM   #4
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

I've set my alarm off accidentally...just being lazy in trying to open the trunk without pulling the remote totally out of my pocket.

I thought I had my finger on the trunk release button...but it was the alarm button instead...I slightly scared myself and I think I trickled a little pee.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 2
Beefcake188.00
radmjk238.00
      02-24-2020, 02:50 PM   #5
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Yea, I hate to say this but had accidentally pressed the panic alarm of my truck remote in my coat pocket. It did the exactly same as the OP. My wife does this almost every year.
My BMW’s all have a alcantara flip cases. I would start with a good flip case.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 02:57 PM   #6
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Please, no photos of you over-full tennis shorts!
Appreciate 0